Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

241 - 260 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Installed these cup cake silicone mould over the rubber boot of the LED bulbs to prevent water ingestion once and for all.

Before the mod, had ridden with a friend (he on his BMW 310 GS) to a river bend for an early morning ride. While returning, was hammered by rain (the monsoon has been advanced due to Cyclone Nisarg in the west and Amphan in the east) and I was really concerned that the LED bulbs would get wet.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Spent another 4 or 5 hours working on the GREEN HORNET TOO, regarding the issue I had w/ my fuel gauge, AFTER chatting w/ onewizard last evening, and I'll post-up some pics and my thoughts in a bit.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Suspended the rear of my V, removed the shock, and checked chain slack through the full movement of the swing arm. Once again proved to myself that the factory spec of 25 - 35mm is too tight. 55mm slack when checked on the side stand is what is required to have about 10mm slack at the tightest point. Like the old timers say, “a slappy chain is a happy chain”.

Cleaned and lubricated the shock bearing, bushing and bolts and reassembled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dropped kids off at church camp and realized daughter didn’t have her backpack. Too hot (and waiting for more gear) to get much more riding in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Suspended the rear of my V, removed the shock, and checked chain slack through the full movement of the swing arm. Once again proved to myself that the factory spec of 25 - 35mm is too tight. 55mm slack when checked on the side stand is what is required to have about 10mm slack at the tightest point. Like the old timers say, “a slappy chain is a happy chain”.

Cleaned and lubricated the shock bearing, bushing and bolts and reassembled.
Maybe you should put that in one of the chain tension threads.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lengthened the shift lever by cutting the end off and welding on a folding lever from a KLR that I bought used a long time ago. Also drilled a hole in the pivot point for greasing it without disassembly.

A quick test ride has me kicking myself for not doing this years ago. Much easier to get my size 11 ADV boots on/under the shifter. No missed shifts even when quickly doing multiple downshifts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed GPS mount, fine tuned suspension and Motowerk highway peg bracket on the way. Sure lobe this bike. Been riding 44 years and this is just right for this old man

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Because of Covid 19 the libraries here are NOT open to browsing, BUT you can go online and add your name to a list for a book you'd like to read (which I did several days ago [16 books in fact!!!]) so I rode to the library to get FIVE books, in the rain/drizzle, and just got back.

I'll add some stuff to my thread on the fuel gauge issue.

:unsure:

·
Registered
30 Posts
In 40 minutes (Yes you read that correctly) I swapped the 16t sprocket the PO had put on for the stock 15t.
I didn’t have to use any crazy method to get the nut off either. I sat on the bike, pressure on the rear brake and yanked a couple times with a 1/2” RATCHET nonetheless. I did pound the washer in all the way around a little prior to removal In hopes it would help a little. I was really just tinkering around getting ready for this project for tomorrow. Since this was the first attempt and I didn’t have a breaker bar handy, I figured I would try a couple times. Third yank and it broke free! Adjusting the chain took the biggest chunk of time. Lol.
After that, I played around with my accessory lights that I had to take off to get the T-Rex crash guards on. I think I’ve come up with a way to just fabricate some spacers and new, longer bolts and I can run my Kawasaki accessory lights with the mount that comes with it. Heck, maybe I can “sell” the idea to T-Rex Racing for a t-shirt...

·
Registered
15 Posts

New bits for the bike arrived.
RAM phone mount, TRexRacing crash cage, and a set of Tusk medium panniers for which I will need to fabricate a mount. Not pictured are the new boots, jacket, and pants I ordered. The fun budget is now spent (well, maybe Bluetooth for the helmet is still in the works) but it’ll be sweet once it is all installed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We just had our 21st wedding anniversary... so had a nice weekend getaway to celebrate. Rode a few hours down the Trace, found a great little boutique hotel, then came back the next day.

I'm so thankful that my wife enjoys motorcycling... she bought me my first bike and she'll often be the one to suggest we go for a ride. Trying to convince her she can handle a bike herself, but until then we both enjoy 2-up.

My best moment was accidentally dropping her (relatively new) helmet onto the gravel road. Nice. Not enough of a drop to compromise it, but now it has character. 😁

Quick stop to stretch our legs. The stock V seat is less than inspiring.

Stopped by Laurel Hill Lake on the way back. I was trying some cheap Kemimoto saddlebags... and they were fantastic. I typically use a top-box and duffle on the seat setup for solo camping etc but we needed just a little more room for two, so I ordered these bags a few days before the ride. Perfect. Solid. Would they last for a RTW trip? Probably not but that's not the intended use.

Another shot at Laurel Hill.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We just had our 21st wedding anniversary... so had a nice weekend getaway to celebrate. Rode a few hours down the Trace, found a great little boutique hotel, then came back the next day.

I'm so thankful that my wife enjoys motorcycling... she bought me my first bike and she'll often be the one to suggest we go for a ride. Trying to convince her she can handle a bike herself, but until then we both enjoy 2-up.

My best moment was accidentally dropping her (relatively new) helmet onto the gravel road. Nice. Not enough of a drop to compromise it, but now it has character. 😁

Quick stop to stretch our legs. The stock V seat is less than inspiring.

Stopped by Laurel Hill Lake on the way back. I was trying some cheap Kemimoto saddlebags... and they were fantastic. I typically use a top-box and duffle on the seat setup for solo camping etc but we needed just a little more room for two, so I ordered these bags a few days before the ride. Perfect. Solid. Would they last for a RTW trip? Probably not but that's not the intended use.

Another shot at Laurel Hill.
Great pics.

You should get a pair of better tyres like the Shinko 705s or TKC 70s.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Playing 2 days with front and rear suspension and testing in ride.
But I find 1 Indian video on youtube how to adjust front suspension. So I tried that way too.
Weight limit of Versys 650 2018 model is 210 kg. (In manual: Weight of rider, passenger, baggage, and accessories must not exceed 210 kg - 463lb) I have 105 kg + all gear on me and on motorbike is about 130 kg.
Rebound I set on 1.5-2 full turn. For spring action I use 1 full turn is 10 kg. I make 13 turns. For rear sprocket I use same way, every click is 8.75 kg, I use 16 clicks.
Felling on motorbike are much better than stock settings.
For now I have 300km on that setting and for now it is great.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
241 - 260 of 277 Posts