Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
On a tip from my neighbor who works at the airport (which is also a miliary airbase) I went to meet a group of bikers at a local club. It was quite a spur-of-the-moment thing - he'd heard they were meeting for a group ride. I took a chance and went, and found a few guys had arrived, got off my bike and spoke to them outside their club house (which, it turns out, is an old wooding hunting cabin actually donated by Her Majesty our Queen to this club).

People kept a nice safe distance, no handshakes, and thankfully the grass outside the club provided plenty of space. Within half an hour around 40-45 bikes had turned up, everything from old Harleys to BMW r-nine-T, to sports tourers and some old bikes that looked like something most people would be reluctant to even try to restore, let alone ride :)

Men, women, some with children, young and old, we all rode off through the countryside, taking small roads, just enjoying the sunny day and beautiful scenery. I've lived here for most of my life (I'm 43) and we went to places I had NO clue existed.

Apparently the tradition is you need to bring two things to these rides. "A full tank of gas, and money for ice cream". So our goal turned out to be a small seaside town that had an open ice cream shop. So around 50 people got in line - in full gear - with the families already there for ice cream, creating a line that looked hilariously long (as people took care to keep 2 metres apart),

Oh well - I've got a new bunch of friends, and I can't recommend it enough. Hook up with your local groups, you'll meet some experienced people who know lots of good roads and routes, and it turns out most people are actually nice, friendly and polite. :)

Wonderful day out!

·
Registered
806 Posts
On a tip from my neighbor who works at the airport (which is also a miliary airbase) I went to meet a group of bikers at a local club. It was quite a spur-of-the-moment thing - he'd heard they were meeting for a group ride. I took a chance and went, and found a few guys had arrived, got off my bike and spoke to them outside their club house (which, it turns out, is an old wooding hunting cabin actually donated by Her Majesty our Queen to this club).

People kept a nice safe distance, no handshakes, and thankfully the grass outside the club provided plenty of space. Within half an hour around 40-45 bikes had turned up, everything from old Harleys to BMW r-nine-T, to sports tourers and some old bikes that looked like something most people would be reluctant to even try to restore, let alone ride :)

Men, women, some with children, young and old, we all rode off through the countryside, taking small roads, just enjoying the sunny day and beautiful scenery. I've lived here for most of my life (I'm 43) and we went to places I had NO clue existed.

Apparently the tradition is you need to bring two things to these rides. "A full tank of gas, and money for ice cream". So our goal turned out to be a small seaside town that had an open ice cream shop. So around 50 people got in line - in full gear - with the families already there for ice cream, creating a line that looked hilariously long (as people took care to keep 2 metres apart),

Oh well - I've got a new bunch of friends, and I can't recommend it enough. Hook up with your local groups, you'll meet some experienced people who know lots of good roads and routes, and it turns out most people are actually nice, friendly and polite. :)
Wonderful day out!
Cool.
Anymore, I'm not much into the big group thing but more into smaller rallies(10 to 100 attendees) with a small contingent(2-4 riders) for the day rides, socializing with the other rally goers after the ride.

>>>>>>>>>>
Off loaded the Versys from the trailer at my brother's place to go pick up a borrowed 4 wheeler for the Annual Johnston Brothers Fishing, Drinking, and now OHV, Extravaganza. 4-5 nights of dispersed camping, eating and drinking things that are mentally healthful at a MN state forest. Brothers(four of us) only, never had a sister, but she would have been invited also.

Yee. Haw.

Reactions: kiwicraig

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...Apparently the tradition is you need to bring two things to these rides. "A full tank of gas, and money for ice cream"....
Now THAT'S my KIND OF RIDE...!

:eek:penarms:

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Got word that my new Ruger Wrangler was IN, so after watering my wife's garden, I rode to the shop to pick it up, AND to see the owner's new to him '17 Guzzi Stelvio. He added that he will be selling his TWO BMW GS's (a '97 and an '04 - BOTH the 'big' ones [1150 and ?]).

:grin2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yesterday 206Versys, myself, and two friends who ride a certain Bavarian brand of motorcycles undertook to ride the Mountain Loop Highway on it's day of opening for 2020. The dirt section was in excellent shape, with all snow gone and relatively few potholes. Superb weather and a superb ride enjoyed by all. Lunched at Big 4 Mountain, but was unable to hike to the ice caves as the foot bridge over the river is washed out again. On the way back to Granite Falls, I made a side trip onto Mt Pilchuck Rd, going as far as the Heather Lake trailhead. Far, far too many cars parked up by the trailhead given Covid. Cars were parked back probably 1/2 mile from the trailhead. I decided to turn there rather than proceeding to the top as the number of cars driving very slowly thru the mess of deep potholes was taking the fun out of it. Will go back on a less busy day.

Pic shows our 300 and 650 Versys's flanking the F800GS and 1250GS.

-dm

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yesterday 206Versys, myself, and two friends who ride a certain Bavarian brand of motorcycles undertook to ride the Mountain Loop Highway on it's day of opening for 2020. The dirt section was in excellent shape, with all snow gone and relatively few potholes. Superb weather and a superb ride enjoyed by all. Lunched at Big 4 Mountain, but was unable to hike to the ice caves as the foot bridge over the river is washed out again. On the way back to Granite Falls, I made a side trip onto Mt Pilchuck Rd, going as far as the Heather Lake trailhead. Far, far too many cars parked up by the trailhead given Covid. Cars were parked back probably 1/2 mile from the trailhead. I decided to turn there rather than proceeding to the top as the number of cars driving very slowly thru the mess of deep potholes was taking the fun out of it. Will go back on a less busy day.

-dm
Im hoping they open the border soon, love riding the Cascades...

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

-dm
Seems to have been a great ride.

What are the tyres on your bike?

Here in India, snow is always associated with high altitude as there is no place in the plains that receives snow.

And all these snow-bound areas are in the Himalayas. Highly unstable, continously shifting tectonic plates make a mockery of even the most advanced road building techniques and material. Engineers from Switzerland, Iceland etc had been called to advise the Indian govt but all had just shaken their heads at the near impossibility of building roads here that last more than one season of snow and ice...

I had been posted in the Sichen glacier area whilst in service and had driven in army vehicles all over Ladakh. In 2012 and 2019, had ridden from Pune to these places. New experiences each time.

Two pics tell the whole story...

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have Shinko 704/805 combo on my V650, the V300 is new and has the factory stock tires. The BMW's had Anakee's on them (forget which line).

This was not comparable to the Himalayans - the high point on the trip was only 2900 feet above sea level (we started at sea level). Much of the road we were on follows the roadbed of a 19th century railroad that was built to haul gold and silver ore out of the area around Monte Cristo peak. The area gets intense winter snow and rainfall, measurably in feet (or meters, if you prefer). This created tremendous problems for the builders of the railroad - avalanches, floods, and landslides took out portions of the line nearly every year. By the 1920's it was abandon as the amount of gold/silver extracted wasn't sufficient to offset the tremendous maintenance costs. The state eventually built a roadway in it's place. Most of it is paved, except the middle 15 miles or so, which for some reason was never paved and is closed during winter (October to May). Today the road only really serves to access various recreation sites (hiking, camping, etc) and people's vacation cabins. So very scenic with very little traffic - IMO absolutely the best ADV route within a day trip of Seattle.

Hopefully in the next week or two we will be doing the North Cascade loop, a multi-day trip across the North Cascades highway (also closed in winter) to the desert of Eastern Washington, returning via US2 and Steven's Pass. That will get us a little higher, about 6000 feet ASL. Sure to be lots of snow by the side of the highway! We may also hit some forest roads that climb higher into the wilderness. Maybe even part of the WA BDR!

-dm

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got word that my new Ruger Wrangler was IN, so after watering my wife's garden, I rode to the shop to pick it up, AND to see the owner's new to him '17 Guzzi Stelvio. He added that he will be selling his TWO BMW GS's (a '97 and an '04 - BOTH the 'big' ones [1150 and ?]).

:grin2:
Good choice on the Guzzi. I owned a Stelvio and other than being heavy it was a great bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Wonderful day out!
Sounds like an awesome ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Finally mounted my Shinko 009 yesterday. Been putting it off for too long. I've changed all my own tires for 50 years, but was dreading it this time. Wasn't as bad as I expected, tho' I did hurt like hell afterwards. Getting old sux! Nothing but Shinkos for years, but a little disappointed that this one took 3 oz's to balance. Usually 1/2oz or less.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Changed the globe in low beam light. Thank goodness for this site and the link to the workshop manual. Removal and refitting all the bits was tricky, but all done. Only one plastic clip/plug broken so will chase up a new one.
Stayed with the standard H7 55watt. I am not capable enough to do any changes.

221 - 240 of 277 Posts