Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Left to see my sister and her kids Tuesday, took all interstate to get there quickly; only 150 miles so a short trip. Versys did great, staying around 6000 rpm for long stretches.

Noticed the chain was a bit more loose than specified so I enlisted the oldest kid to help with the adjustment. All is well again.

Rode back home using a mix of secondary highways and got caught in a nice thunderstorm; rain riding isn't my favorite but the V performed flawlessly, as did my gear, so I arrived home safe and dry.

My goal is to do an Iron Butt ride someday soon; I'll need to sort two things: the seat comfort and the (highway speed) buffeting. I have a Zero Gravity 23" screen that I was trying out but it's only slightly better than the Vario I had before that. Might try an attachment for the top of the ZG screen. And/or perhaps it;s time to try a new lid as well:)

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Did a little "adjusting" maintenance to my home-made GPS mount, to alter its position by about one to two degrees.

It's raining NOW, so I'll 'check' it out tomorrow when it's supposed to be sunny and 20C.

:smile2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Left to see my sister and her kids Tuesday, took all interstate to get there quickly; only 150 miles so a short trip. Versys did great, staying around 6000 rpm for long stretches.

Noticed the chain was a bit more loose than specified so I enlisted the oldest kid to help with the adjustment. All is well again.

Rode back home using a mix of secondary highways and got caught in a nice thunderstorm; rain riding isn't my favorite but the V performed flawlessly, as did my gear, so I arrived home safe and dry.

My goal is to do an Iron Butt ride someday soon; I'll need to sort two things: the seat comfort and the (highway speed) buffeting. I have a Zero Gravity 23" screen that I was trying out but it's only slightly better than the Vario I had before that. Might try an attachment for the top of the ZG screen. And/or perhaps it;s time to try a new lid as well:)
I added one of these to my Madstad, it really smoothed out the air flow. As pictured it did not help, but upside down on the top portion of the windshield it's the bee's knees. There are more elegant solutions.

https://amazon.com/Goldfire-Motorcycle-Windshield-Adjustable-Windscreen/dp/B07P1GZRL6/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2RJKNBHN9M91N&dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+windshield+extension&qid=1590190102&sprefix=motorcycle+windshield,aps,187&sr=8-7

·
Registered
530 Posts
Any links , I ask because that looks much easier than the hooks under the seat.
Yea,it works well. Motion Pro helmet Universal lock. Universal because it can fit any size tube with a screw tightening pipe clamp, gotta have for Kawi thin frame tube. Or giant tubing as well, can affix to pretty well anything. Lock looks solid enough. Some smart engineering by someone paying off! Got it at Fortnine but fairly common.

·
Administrator
8,851 Posts
Fortnine Gone

Yea,it works well. Motion Pro helmet Universal lock. Universal because it can fit any size tube with a screw tightening pipe clamp, gotta have for Kawi thin frame tube. Or giant tubing as well, can affix to pretty well anything. Lock looks solid enough. Some smart engineering by someone paying off! Got it at Fortnine but fairly common.
I saw it on Thursday, gone from site today.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
The forecast was for SUNNY, 20C, but I awoke to rain, so I went for my normal two mile walk, then did some reading till it looked like it WAS clearing, then 'hit the road' TEN-ish, in a very light 'mist' till I got downtown, then it began to clear.

Stood in line for about 10 minutes to pickup some stuff at the bulk foods place, loaded up the SEVEN pounds of peanuts in the shell and TWO pounds of licorice - half red, half black into my saddlebags, then down to the Cdn Tire store for some cleaning stuff for the wife, then filled up w/ gas w/ 10.5 L for 330 kms which is the BEST fuel mileage I've ever had! Translates to 31.4 kms/L; [3.18L per 100kms]; or 88.7 mpgImperial which is - in "America-speak" - 70.9 mpgUS!!!

I've been just "riding around", mostly highway but NOT at speeds much above 100 to 110 km/h - 62 to 65 mph - but I'm happy, nonetheless!

>:)

The load of peanuts are for a couple of other RCAF veterans who are coming over for a BS session of beer and peanuts this PM in the entrance to my garage/shop!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Loaded up the Versys in the trailer along with two extra rear tires and one front. Taking off tomorrow morning for about three months of playing in the mountains out in the Northwet, BC if possible.

Have Roadtrek(and trailer), will travel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got out for a few hour's ride with my wife; checked out a park we haven't visited (Bowie Nature Park in Fairview). Most of the ride was in a slight rain, and it was really refreshing. Picked up some pizza on the way home for an easy family dinner:) It was a good day.

I kept having to adjust my right-hand mirror, until I realized the entire control assembly was loose:) I guess my previous ride had loosened the top screw; it's never been an issue before. Another good argument for consistent equipment checks.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Loaded up the Versys in the trailer along with two extra rear tires and one front. Taking off tomorrow morning for about three months of playing in the mountains out in the Northwet, BC if possible.

Have Roadtrek(and trailer), will travel.
HOPE to see you Steve!

:eek:penarms:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Procrastinated on adjusting my chain slack, so I thought I'd tackle it today and thoroughly clean and lube the chain also. What I thought was going take an hour or so took more than a half a 'hot' day.

While looking the chain over I noticed rear tire starting to show some cords down the middle, Doh!. I thought the Continental Conti Motion tire would last longer, less than 5,800 miles. I didn't have a new spare road tire that I liked, so I put my new Mitas E-07+ adventure tire on my 'street' rim. The 'off road rim' is stripped for painting. So I'll switch tires, once I order a new rear street tire and it comes in.

1. So I mounted the Mitas E-07+ Dakar, cleaned the rear rim, and balanced the wheel on my No-Mar Classic HD + Ultimate tire changer and No-Mar balancer.
2. With the rear wheel off the bike, I finally installed the rear wheel mud fender hugger. I did my other Versys 650 in Feb with the wheel on, finally got around to doing this bike.
3. Mounted the rear wheel.
4. Maxima CleanUp Chain Cleaner worked way better than I would have thought with the Grunge chain nylon brush scrubbing. First time using it. Took a black chain and came out nice a clean, like a new shiny chain. Lubed the chain with some Maxima Chain Wax
5. Installed the SYKIK Rider SRTP300 Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I'm really impressed with the unit, I'm going to add it to my other bikes.
6. Adjusted the chain slack to inside factory specs.
7. Power washed the bike, truck and car since I had the power washer out for the bike.

No-Mar tire changer mounted to my trailer hitch mount, I also have the floor mount (requires drilling and bolting down to floor), prefer the trailer hitch accessory mount as I can go to any of my ride buddy's places and attach it to the hitch to change tires, it's portable and is steady. The truck has become a mobile tire changer for my ride buddies "garage days".

PICS: Tire bead broken and tire removed = easy peasy. Mounting the stiffer and knobby Mitas to the rim was a chore, unlike the road tires. I had to switch from the Quick Rim cam blocks (pictured) to the Posi-Clamp wheel clamps to secure the rim better to the changer, as the rim kept spinning on the changer's quick rim cam blocks with mounting the stiffer tire.

No-Mar wheel balancer is very simple and easy to use (my other Versys rim for the off-road tires, stripped for sanding and painting). Mitas E-07+ Dakar required a lot of weights 2.0 oz to balance (8 each 1/4 oz. black weights), the TPMS sender valve cap didn't require more weights to balance.

Rear wheel fender hugger installed.

Sprayed the cleaner onto chain to let it soak in, while I mount a new rear tire.

Got dark after washing all the vehicles. I'll take some more pics later. Went for a short ride to do a food/ grocery run and to make sure bike was all good. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I finally found a tank bag I like... I made it myself (out of existing material).

Bought a small shoulder/sling $14 bag from eBay. Lots of colors/camo to choose from.
Removed magnets from an old/ugly tank bag I had.
Inserted said magnets into the new bag. It already has "pockets" for magnets.
Works a treat and is perfectly sized. If running errands, I sometimes leave the strap on, otherwise I stow the strap in one of the compartments. Stayed put over several hundred miles of interstate and rain. The final step will be replacing the taped-in magnets with something more permanent.

·
Registered
240 Posts
got ready to do a chain and sprocket swap. bam snapped the rivet press pin thingy. i should have had a spare. that one has done several chains. doh. i'll pick up another tomorrow at cg. maybe 2

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rode to Quilcene Washington, and then up the Forest Service Rd to the top of Mount Walker for great views - 4 ice clad volcanoes were visible, Rainier, Adams, St Helens, and during the ride down, Baker. Also numerous close up vistas of the larger Olympics. Road was in decent shape with muddy/slightly slick spots in the shaded areas. No prob for my V650 or buddies R1250GS.

-dm

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
HOPE to see you Steve!

:eek:penarms:
Maybe you won't wanna see me. I'm thinking I may need to freshen a tire or two by the time I get there but I'm sure you can give me directions to the beer store.

I know for dead certain I'll not be taking the bike to M&M over in Golden.

Currently in Tomah, WI on my way to Minnesnowta.

Edit to add: you probably won't answer your phone if my number shows up with the above tidbit. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Maybe you won't wanna see me. I'm thinking I may need to freshen a tire or two by the time I get there....
Steve - I have ALL the tools for the job, and I don't mind watching YOU do all the work while I....

...I'm sure you can give me directions to the beer store....
CAN DO! I figure that's WHAT I'll be doing during your tire changes :)cheers:)....:wink2:

...I know for dead certain I'll not be taking the bike to M&M over in Golden....
And I thought you like to support local businesses...!

...Edit to add: you probably won't answer your phone if my number shows up with the above tidbit. :surprise:...
Not sure I "read you"....

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
And I thought you like to support local businesses...!

Not sure I "read you"....
I do, but not to the tune of C$400 to mount up my tires and an oil and filter change.

That thing at the end was just useless drivel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed the oil and filter and added some led plate lights. By the way, hi out there. Just got my bike three weeks ago. So far love it. Doing a few more things to make it mine.
Take care out there!

201 - 220 of 240 Posts