Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What did you do on your versys today?/ 2020

64K views 556 replies 82 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
New years day ride.On the road by 7am to ride the Coromandel loop as we do on new years day.We go early when there is less traffic.Went up the Thames coast road with very few cars holding us up.Made the top of Kereta hill in record time.I was feeling motion sick from all the twistys,all fast 3rd gear stuff from 40 to 100kmh.Next stop Whangapoua hill.Some of the best road in the country,all 2nd gear switchback,However im feeling realy crook by now,going slow.Now down on the straighter stuff,feeling better,100 to130 sweepers,got my groove back.Caught up with the others at Whitianga for a drink.Managed to get past the slow traffic and got my best ever run over Pumpkin hill,yea in the groove.Then a slow ride home,220km of start the year fun.

#2 ·
Went riding to an RTE put on by MSTA(Motorcycle Sport Touring Assn) yesterday with a gentleman on a Ducati. We never made it. The Duc developed an issue with the gear indicator/computer interface(??) Spent about three hours on the side of the road. He and his Duc got to go for a ride in a tow truck. He got a ride home from the driver and his Duc is where dead Ducs go.

MY 650 odometer rolled over 69k miles. :thumb:

#3 · (Edited)
Starting fresh, the old thread is stuck but closed.

#4 ·
parked next to a gen2 at work. actually spoke to the fellow for a couple of minutes. nice guy. clean bike with a few bits on it. all city riding for the guy with the odd dirt stretch occasionally. he bought it already farkled.

#5 ·
Went for a 70 mile toot. Stopped to see an old friend who was a US Marine, to say "HI" and give him a book I'd just read called "the MORENCI MARINES" about nine fellows from the highschool Class of '66 who joined the Marines, and fought in 'Nam. Only three came back. Then continued W to Casa Grande to say HI to some other friends, then back home.

Rode w/ heated grips on HIGH, heated jacket liner on TWO (out of FIVE)! Been quite chilly here in AZ....

:surprise:

#6 ·
Hey Fast Eddie, my brother was in the Class of 66 and was 3rd Marines in Nam with Ripley's Raiders. I did get the Shinko 705s installed today. Will try them out Sunday on a ride with a group called Houston sport Touring Riders.

#8 ·
Rode for about an hour and 15 this AM. Wanted to see IF the Coolidge Fly-In breakfast was ON (reports that they're re-paving runways there...) - and it's NOT!

Big lighted X on the E-W runway along w/ much equipment, so I turned around and went to check out the Coolidge Swap-Meet, which was CLOSED also, then I went home for lunch....:surprise:

#11 ·
I've talked with Terry a couple of times on the phone concerning this. Seems like an awesome gentleman and business to deal with. Not like some of the stories coming out about Sargent and Corbin.

I'm swinging by his place in April for measurements and such. Looking forward to it.

#10 ·
Rode the NEW AZ 202 "South Mountain" Loop...

Yesterday my neighbor and I rode the new "South Mountain" loop on AZ 202 from its beginning in the E, to where it joins I-10 W of downtown Phoenix. It was clear, getting warmer, and a GREAT ride, making it much easier if you wish to head towards Los Angeles, as now you avoid the traffic congestion of the I-10, I-17, AZ 51 corridors!

From Florence it was 154 miles return, and MOSTLY just a nice, boring highway ride, except for a few miles S of I-10 at the N end when an SUV that was passing me on the right lane of three, kicked up something, either heavy cardboard, or light wood-paneling, that hit my headlight/ windshield area, then over my head as I ducked, scaring the crap out of me, at least momentarily :eek:...!

When I could stop safely I checked for damage - found NONE, then we continued, W on I-10 till we could U-turn and head BACK towards the S and E.

For those who might be up this way - GREAT addition for a good get-away!

:clap:

#12 · (Edited)
Decided to see IF the Florence-Kelvin Hwy was OK for riding now that the rain has "held-off" for a few days, so I headed out yesterday at 1100. Forecast was for a HI of about 69F, but it was chilly enough that I wore my heated jacket liner turned ON, and my grips at MEDIUM, when I headed out.

There's a mountain in the Superstitions that I've been told looks like a man's face, so I took a pic just coming into Florence.

"face"-1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

What do YOU think?

I headed S to the start of the F-K and turned E into it. The dirt NOW starts about 15 miles into it, but it was PDG once I got onto the dirt. I could see a motorcycle headlight behind me, eventually passing me, and I determined it to be a Royal Enfield, probably a Himalayan, but I didn't have a chance to speak w/ him as he was 'motoring' - while I was just looking at the scenery (and looking for some "Jumping Cholla" skeletons - the wooden core).

Stopped here for a look,

IMG_0124 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

but didn't really see any that weren't covered in NEEDLES, so I continued E, then took a pic of the Ray Mine as it came into view.

IMG_0126 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

A mile or two further E I saw a sign beside the F-K saying that ROAD WORK IN PROGRESS, so I slowed, keeping a good lookout, then saw a grader slowly coming toward me in my lane (actually IF the road is 20 feet wide there, he took up about 17 feet of it) so - UP on the 'pegs, over left and around, then thru the 10" pile of dirt behind him as I regained the right side.

Pretty soon the dirt became pavement, and I entered AZ 177, turning left to visit the Ray Mine to have lunch (as I usually do on these rides). A few miles before the observation area I saw men beside the 177 w/ signs indicating that they are ON STRIKE, so I waved, continuing N on 177 to the turn-off,

IMG_0127 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

only to find it locked, but someone had pulled a stump to there, and it made a good seat to use while chewing on my jalapeno bagel!

IMG_0128 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

At this time the AZ DOT is re-building the Pinto Creek Bridge just W of Miami closing AZ 60 E of Superior for several hours, so there were lots of vehicles using 177 coming thru from Globe. I stopped for a few pics, and to let traffic past me, first pic looking S

IMG_0130 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

while the next looks NNW - that is "Weavers Needle" just above the end of the cactus spire, w/ "Picketpost Mountain" just left.

IMG_0129 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

When I arrived in Superior there were lines of vehicles waiting for AZ 60 to re-open, but I was going W, so I gassed-up, then back onto 60. I saw where ADOT crews had cut some Jumping Cholla, and they'd dried enough that I scrounged a couple of the skeletons to put in our yard, then turned right to Queen Valley to look up an old pilot friend (who wasn't there), so I rode some more twisties, then N on AZ 79, W on the Hunt Hwy, and home about 1420, a nice 105 mile ride behind me.

'Member the mountain "face" I showed at the start of this ride? Here it is rotated to vertical:

"face"-2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

:grin2:

#16 ·
Another cracker day here in NZ.Rode down to Taumarunui on higways 3&4.Despite it being holiday season very little traffic and kept up a good pace.Talked to a couple of locals and told about a hw41,so went that way.Great road,lots of twisties.Headed back home up Westwern bay road,another I was planning to do some time.80kms of good sweepers,got right into the groove.Called in to Okoroire pub for a quiet one.Talked to a few more riders.A day of 550kms in glorious weather.

Happy riding

#18 ·
Condensation in the "oil-window"

After yesterday's ride to the "work-party", I noticed some condensation in the "oil-window", so today I rode about 10 miles farther than I had planned to, about 24 miles total, and at this time I don't see condensation. Temp around 35F to 40F.

#19 ·
ThermoBob ??

After yesterday's ride to the "work-party", I noticed some condensation in the "oil-window", so today I rode about 10 miles farther than I had planned to, about 24 miles total, and at this time I don't see condensation. Temp around 35F to 40F.
Is your AZ bike equipped with?

#20 ·
To cold in Croatia for riding motorbike. Very slippery road, my car wheels slip a lot. So I don't think that is good idea to ride motorbike.
So I go to see every 2-3 days how motorbike look under cover, is some mous build house, is there moisture and stuff like that.
I can only wait third month to registrate and insure bike, and good weather.

#23 ·
I realize this "What I Did..." is from June of 2019 but my son, J, gave me the video he shot of our trip to Baja at Christmas so I thought some of you may like to see what the place looks like. I was on my Versys 650 and J was on his 1200GS. I'm still waiting for him to finish the second half, from Cabo to Tecate but here's what I got. Here's the link.

https://vimeo.com/380676002

#25 ·
Went to a "Twists and Tuurns" training just down the road.Its to teach you slow riding.First task ride in an oval with your right hand on the tank,try it.Then through some cones with corners and circles.All this in 1st gear,some revs,clutch slipping and rear brake.Then a course with tight turns circles etc.One of the instructors showed us how on his BMW k1600,made it look easy.One guy did it on his er6n Kawasaki without getting close to a cone.Me? some of the cones were road kill.Still a fun day out,gotta go and practice.

Happy riding

#29 ·
18 Jan '20

I rode about 125 miles round-trip to the "Pavillions Show and Shine" in Scotsdale (used to be called the McDonald's Show and Shine), and took some pics of some neat cars, including the smallest one I've ever seen

IMG_0171A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0172A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and it's ACTUALLY a Vespa...!

Plus a few others....

IMG_0166A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0156A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0148A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and a Ford Starliner that I really like!

IMG_0155A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

#34 ·
Kinda cute tho', isn't it...?

Here's a pic of a SERIOUS HP maker for your enjoyment - the original Corvette mechanical FI from a '63.

IMG_0174A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I looked for this 'set-up' when I bought my '62, but couldn't find one, so bought the 340HP carbureted 327 one - SAME engine, cam, pistons, etc but w/ a Carter AFB four-barrel, and 6,500 red-line.

Fun Run '04:027 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

#35 ·
actually it was yesterday. put in an led for the low beam. i wanted to see how my rubber boot surgery would be in the rain. luckily i got a 90 minute ride home today and it was perfect. also did the volt meter/usb gadget in the hole on the right wired to the bullet plugs available under the windscreen. i mounted some led driving lights to the sw-m light mounts but didn't like the wiring kit i was using because it was always hot. after i put it all back together i remembered the switched power supply on the left side and i have the correct plug adapter thingy (thanks eastern beaver). next weekend i'll either do that or the rear tire.

#36 ·
Swapped out my Ascerbis single-point handguards with some eBay two-point guards last night. Went out for an hour ride today to test them and some new riding pants. 45 degrees, and a mix of sun and rain made for a nice ride complete with a rainbow. Handguards and new gear worked great. Thankful for a place I can ride year-round if I wear appropriate layers:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.