Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

As a new Versys owner (finally, 2009 Green for me!) who is planning a long tour to AK this summer, I'm checking into which GPS would be the best for me. (I used the search function for "gps" but found nothing)

Please let me know your recommendations including what you love/hate about the models you're familiar with.

Also, your clever ideas for mounting the device will be appreciated! I have a 12v powerlet in the left fairing already.

thanks all!

Mitch

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 on the Garmin Zumo 500/550 mount
+1 onthe speedy mount, although the OEM GPS mount ain't bad.

Tom Tom rider is (I'm told) supposed to be simialr to ZUmo, but I think misses some of the hardware thats is/was budled in the 550 kit.

you can fit a car GPS into an otterbox or similar waterproof box but persoanlly I think it looks kludgey.

wiring it up is up to you, I use a feed from an accessory fusebox controlled by a relay so the GPS power is only active when the ignition is on. I';ve heard peopel sucesfully tapping into wither the side/running light or dipped beam headlight. however some people have reproted that soem GPS's reset (loose power) if you switch the fullbeam on. presumably there is some form of power reset triggered. whether that applies to the Zumo's I don't know as the have a fairly hefty battery thats runs for several hours.

one thing to bear in mind is that the Zumo's are more robust to vibration and do last longer than car type.

the ZUM0 660 is smaller and neater than the 550's.. There is also supposed to be a Nuvi that is waterproof

If you go with either Tom Tom or Garmin you should be OK, the other brands may well work but I'd be suspicious

another alternative is to get a more swanky modern phone which has GPS built in and can use mapping software. that includes virtually all modern smartphones and followers such as Nokia, LG, Samsung and iPhone

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another alternative is the unit from DeLorme. Current model is the PN-40 (PN-60w with Spot transmission capabilities is due out next month). Topo maps of all 50 states comes with the units.

Picture is of the PN-20 mounted on my 'green machine' from a trip last year. Mounted on a Ram mount, powered through a USB plug converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
The site's search function only works for 4 characters or more.

You need to go to Google and type "site:www.kawasakiversys.com GPS" and you will get 1,000+ hits.

·
Registered
287 Posts
+1 on the Garmin Zumo. Have a 450 unit and mounted it on the left side of the handlebar with the included bike mount. Yes, I can't see the neutral light too well, but as I have a gear indicator mounted, it really isn't much of a problem...:cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Garmin 550 here on a RAM mount. It is a nice waterproof alternative to the Zumo's and is identical to the Zumo 220 except for the lack of Bluetooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does the Nuvi 500 let you use a custom trip, or does it always route you the best route it comes up with?
Yes you can build routes in MS Streets and Trips, Mapsource or in the case of people like me on Macs Base Camp or Road Trip, save them as a .gpx and then load them from your PC/MAC to the device for use later. Same with waypoints.

You can even make a custom route on the device itself, but it is a royal PITA.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Zumo is great and this mount from Twisted Throttle puts it in easy reach.
above the tank bag but below the Versys insturments.The mount is Versys specific.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For a less expensive solution, I used a Nuvi 1100 from WalMart for $99 on my 09 V. Works fine. I used the OEM GPS mount. Tied the Garmin mount plate, that holds the GPS, onto the OEM mount using heavy tie-wrap. Has held fine for 2000 miles, with nos sign of a problem. Make sure you connect power through the Garmin cigarette lighter power end - there's a circuit board inside that must be used when connecting to 12 volts. Just get a power recepticle, plug in the Garmin end (permanently) which in turn is connected to V power thru a relay, FZ-1 or equivalent fuzebox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts