Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there are now THREE manufacturers for center stands for the Kawasaki Versys-X 300.
It appears that the Kawasaki model is the cheapest. Has anyone purchased the Kawasaki model? What’s your opinion? How does the weight and style appear? Is it also the lightest of the three?

Anyone have suggestions that are safe and effective for working on the motorcycle without using an add on centerstand. I’ve used the adjustable prop in tandem with the side stand on my KLR650. Good in an emergency out on the road, otherwise a little risky at home.
I’d be interested in seeing and hearing other methods to service the bike at home instead of using a centerstand.
Thanks,
PCG

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
308 Posts
As I'm still thinking of getting a 300X if and when I sell my 650-I like to know what things cost-so the cheapest I found on the OEM stand is $226 free shipping at Rocky Mountain ATV&MC they show 7 in stock

·
Registered
308 Posts
I checked around and found that Kawasaki is now making and selling their own center stand.
Their parts number for their stand is, 99994-0844 and it’s is lighter than the SW Motech and about $100.00 cheaper! :smile2:
I’m holding off making a purchase of this stand, hoping that I can find another way to elevate and work on my bike.
PCG
I think you may have got that backwards
OEM $290
SW Motech $192

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rocky Mountain has probably the best prices on the Kawasaki OEM accessories - got my engine guards earlier in the week, about $170 shipped!

·
Registered
473 Posts
IMO the main stand is the #1 farkle for everyone. It keeps the bike secure and upright while lubing the chain and any other maintenance or cleaning. Working on it is so much easier when upright and it is always there, and secure.
I bought the OEM and ground a little off the stand bracket to make the bike sit more securely. I just felt that an accidental bump might roll the bike forward and off.

Reactions: SECoda

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the SW Motech stand for mine. Other than fighting with the springs to get it on, its been fine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone want to express opinions about which is the best operational center stand between the SW Motech and the Kawasaki Versys 300 oem stand.
I know that the SW centerstand is less expensive,but it is also heavier. In the past I have tried both the SW Motech stands on some manufacturers brand motorcycle and the oem brand of center stand on the brand of the motorcycle. I’ve had mixed results. Sometimes the SW mounts and works the best and other times the oem stand is better.
I think for my Versys-X I’m going to purchase the Kawasaki Stand, #99994-0995.
PCG

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you have a link to a spring instalation tool? I have no idea wht to ask for at harbor freight, Amazon or my hardware store.

I've got my center stand installed and zip tied up until I can get the spring on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would the technique at 1:44 in the below video work for attaching the spring to your center stand?

I haven't put a center stand on yet, but I would guess the spring attaches the same way for all brands.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do you have a link to a spring instalation tool? I have no idea wht to ask for at harbor freight, Amazon or my hardware store.

I've got my center stand installed and zip tied up until I can get the spring on.
Spring installation tool. https://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-exhaust-spring-removal-KiWAV/dp/B009YFEL0M

There is no doubt that is one of the difficult things to get done. I do not have a tool myself. I use fencing wire, or strong cord tied in a loop, connect to the spring and use a very heavy screwdriver or small prise bar at some point beyond the fitting point and stretch the spring hook over its destination. It is not easy and I usually have to change the loop of wire a few times to get the right length. And to find a secure place for my heavy screwdriver.
The spring is easiest to get on when the stand is in its up position.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Installed the SW, previously had the bike lowered one inch.

Rear tire is over four inches off the ground.
Side to side bump is OK.
Rear to front bump is 'treacherous'.
IMO, the foot pad is too small and it lifts too much.

If you are doing heavy work on the bike, tie down the front brake or use
one of those front V tire stands.

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I neglected to mention when I posted the video that the T-Rex adjustable center stand should be available soon. I emailed T-Rex to inquire about price and release date. The reply stated that they expect to have it available for purchase by the end of this month. The price hasn't been finalized, but should be $150-$200.

I don't really need the adjustable height feature. But, if it is less expensive than OEM or the SW, I'll probably get the T-Rex.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is what my mechanic used! That is the tool for the job.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts