Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. I just purchased a 2009 Versys from the first owner who happened to only ever put 117 miles on it. There’s some light scratches on the right side. Story goes, he laid it over, and that was enough to scare the wife and he’s just had it in his garage ever since. Started it periodically to keep it running. Anyhow, I bought it yesterday and drove it home about 15 miles. No hiccups there except that the fuel gauge is stuck on the last bar. Seems when it gets LOW low it will actually flash the fuel symbol at me. But I stopped on the way home and filled it up. Flashing fuel symbol went away but gauge stayed at the last bar. I guess as long as that flashing fuel thing comes on when I’m really low I’m fine, but does anyone have any ideas on this? I’ve read a bit here on the forums that the gauge on these tends to be pretty damn inaccurate anyway.
That said I also just noticed these two stray wires. One white, the other white with red stripe. Do these go to anything important? Not a big fan of bare wires sticking out. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good afternoon. I just purchased a 2009 Versys from the first owner who happened to only ever put 117 miles on it. There’s some light scratches on the right side. Story goes, he laid it over, and that was enough to scare the wife and he’s just had it in his garage ever since. Started it periodically to keep it running. Anyhow, I bought it yesterday and drove it home about 15 miles. No hiccups there except that the fuel gauge is stuck on the last bar. Seems when it gets LOW low it will actually flash the fuel symbol at me. But I stopped on the way home and filled it up. Flashing fuel symbol went away but gauge stayed at the last bar. I guess as long as that flashing fuel thing comes on when I’m really low I’m fine, but does anyone have any ideas on this? I’ve read a bit here on the forums that the gauge on these tends to be pretty damn inaccurate anyway.
That said I also just noticed these two stray wires. One white, the other white with red stripe. Do these go to anything important? Not a big fan of bare wires sticking out. Thank you! View attachment 179792
Well, you are not alone with the fuel gauge issue. I have two 2009 models. The one with less than 3k miles has the issue. The one with 34k+ miles fuel gauge is fine. I've read on the British Versys web-site that its possibly a shorted wire near the steering stem. I haven't had time to investigate my issue yet. If I find a fix, I'll post it.

I'm not certain about the wires.

·
Registered
323 Posts
welcome to the funny farm.

the fuel sender is an old school resistor & float thing. the older bikes the sender is on a square plate, the newer bikes its on the fuel pump housing. I would run the tank low and pull the sender & test it with an ohm meter. my manual (2015) lists values: E = 213 to 219 ohms, F = 9 to 11 ohms. yours may be different values, but on old cars thats seems to be the range as well. if it doesn't change value when you move the arm its fubard. if you don't want to pull the sender out, take a reading and add a couple gallons and read again. and sometimes pulling and replacing the connector is enough to make it work (cruddy contacts)

fuel won't come out when you pull the line off, but less fuel in the tank makes it easier handle. the clip that holds the fuel line to the tank is tricky at first.

when mine flashes I have about 3/4 gallon. I have run mine dry once to check things. my tank capacity is 5.4 gallons useable fuel.

those wires don't look Kawasaki.... another reason to pull the tank

Reactions: DrDrillgood
1 - 4 of 4 Posts