Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm swapping out the exhaust pipe on my '09 V (snapped clean off at the muffler), and this is how the nut's came off (see pic). I'm pretty sure these are studs [92004-0025], but whats to stop me from running to my local hardware store and buying a few matching bolts and cranking them on there instead?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would want to use the proper grade, especially for a high heat application like exhaust. You may be able to get the proper grade locally but the run of the mill hardware would most likely give you real trouble removing them in the future.

ARKNT

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Good point. What if I use these old "bolts" temporarily until the new set come in?
there isnt one...... if i was you id hit them with a wire brush to knock the rust off, heat them then dunk them in my WD-40 tank (best $20 ever spent lol) maybe try to remove the nuts from them if you have a couple extra nuts that are the right size if not just leave the nuts on as is . put your new exhaust on with new exhaust gaskets and like the kids say now days.....send it.

my 1972 rv90 still have 99% of its stock hardware and its been fully town down a few times

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
What do you mean there isn't one?
sorry i think that was a case of my dyslexia / tiredness / Who the F*ck Knows kicking in and for some reason i read it as what is keeping me from reusing these....idk

·
Registered
309 Posts
originally the holes for the studs were a tight fit, requiring a wrench to install. every time the studs go in & out you lose a little bit of metal out of the holes. on aircraft engines they make oversize studs where the cylinder side is slightly fatter. I don't recall seeing that option on motorcycle engines though. best thing is to set the studs at the allowable top torque, with a thread locker and use anti-seize on the nuts. if you want to go with bolts on a permanent basis its best to helicoil the holes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
originally the holes for the studs were a tight fit, requiring a wrench to install...
Yeah, it was real tight getting these suckers out. I've ordered a set of replacement studs and nuts. I'm really not sure how I'll set those studs back in there. I suppose I can use a fresh nut on the other end and crank it on, then attempt to take the nut off and leave the stud... somehow.

·
Registered
2013 v650
213 Posts
With the pipes off, 2 nuts on the end of the stud tightened against each other and then just screw the stud in. Hold the back nut and remove the front nut, then the back nut. If the nuts are not self locking they should just spin on to that side of the stud. Most times the case side is a course thread and the nut side is a fine thread. Yours look like they are the same thread. I would use silviefox's wd-40 recommendation and get new nuts tighten 2 on the case side of the studs and put that end in a vice to takeoff the rusted nuts and see what you got. It is not uncommon for the studs to come out when you take off exhaust nuts, or intake manifold nuts. Out in the air and exposed to the exhaust heat they rust quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts