Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend down at school with the girlfriend and looked outside and was thinking that i really really needed to get on the bike while it was so nice out, so i called my dad and asked if he wanted to go out and lead me on a good ride. He was wicked stoked and made out a plan on his gps and i drove back up home. We went out, me on my red V and him on his goldwing 1800. We went 70 miles through a bunch of really fun twisty roads between RI and CT then back.

I just got my lisence/bike a few weeks ago so i was a little nervous about my first longer ride but it was awesome! just had to keep thinking about all the things they taught be in my MSF course like the whole look into corners and be careful of changing radius corners (almost got caught by surprise on one, it took a real sharp turn near the end) but i have to say i cant wait to keep going on long rides.

i was still unsure if the whole longer rides thing was going to be my thing but after today i know if definately is and the versys is without a question an amazing bike. Cant wait for the summer when i dont have school to worry about and i can take more rides on the weekends. I think my dad took some pictures, ill have to see if i can get them posted up. Just wanted to share my excitement with you guys!

Stay safe and have fun!
Shawn

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Great you went for a ride with Dad Shawn and sure he loved it.

You mentioned about raduis of corners, have found that the Versys is one of the better bikes to correct tight corners due to it flickable nature. My wife rides a cruiser and she does say when she rides my bike it is very forgiving if you get your line wrong in a corner or come in to hot. Good you done a course and can put it into practice on the road.
Phil

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Here's a secret so don't tell anyone. If you plan a long ride, try for Sunday and leave early. You should be rolling by 6 AM. There will be the least amount of people on the road. By the time civilisation has awoken you'll be far away from them. Saturday mornings are busy with people shopping and running errands. Yes, the V is a very nice machine. You couldn't have picked a better first bike.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good on you for taking the basic rider course. Try some slow speed maneuvers in an empty parking lot, like doing figure 8's around painted stripes. Practice braking to a specific spot, like to a certain white stripe in the parking lot. Work on strategies to make yourself visible to others on the road. For example, if you can't see a vehicle's mirrors in front of you, the driver cannot see you. Assume no one in a car or truck sees you and, on the off chance they do see you, assume they plan to run you over. This is especially true for cars planning to turn left across your lane...far too many riders get hit in this scenario. Ride defensively and have fun.

Blipco is right about Sunday mornings. For years this has been a regular weekend plan for me. (I wrote an article for Rider magazine with this angle, look here.) Get on the road at first light, ride 50 or even 100 miles, stop for breakfast in some small town, ask some locals for any interesting back roads in the area. This is a great way to get in 200 or more miles by lunch time without fighting traffic. Watch for critters!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Welcome to the "Verse" Fineout.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^im working on it, my dad had the camera and ive been busy with schoolwork so havent gotten back home to upload anything, heres the only one i got

1 - 11 of 11 Posts