Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, the stock D221 tires don't do the Versys justice.
Long version: With a little over 3000 miles on my 2012, and a two thousand mile ride coming up, I ordered a set of Conti Motions, to replace the stockers. I'll be honest; I'm not an aggressive rider. I am content, poking along behind the pack, looking at trees, and singing at a terrible pitch inside my helmet. I am not adept enough to tell you that a bike's suspension needs this or that, that the fueling is just a bit off, or that a tire feels a pound low on pressure. Hence, I check pressures, fasteners, chain tension, etc., at a near compulsive rate. I didn't think the 221’s were bad, at least not for the type of riding I do. Had the Conti's mounted between long working hours this week, and I installed them back on the bike late a couple nights ago. Got a chance to take the bike out for a short run this afternoon, and all I can say is "Wow." Came in and told my wife that I should have had the tires switched out before I took delivery of the bike off the showroom floor, a little over a year ago. It is hard to describe it, except to say that it is just, smoother, and less nervous. I had read many (not everyone mind you) opinions on the stockers being so lousy but, as I said, I doubted I would be able to tell a difference. It's there. Definitely.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well done!!:thumb:

You don't need to be a race man to feel the difference with the right tyres.
Now you will ride safer with more fun!!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
ContiMotion's are also the least expensive tires available in Canada, and by a large margin... Fast Eddie likes them too, and makes them last for an incredible number of miles.

·
Super Moderator
19,571 Posts
ContiMotion's are also the least expensive tires available in Canada, and by a large margin... Fast Eddie likes them too, and makes them last for an incredible number of miles.
Well, at least I USED to - now both my Vs are running Metzler Tourance rubber, but I was VERY happy w/ ContiMotions for SEVERAL sets! And that included riding dirt quite a bit (check my ride report to the Mica Dam in BC a couple years back, on Contis).

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had my tires swapped out when I took delivery on my bike based on the reviews. The dealer gave me a little credit for the stockers, but not much since the stockers aren't sold in our area except when they come new on bikes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have had experience with stock tires on many bikes, the one's that come with the versys are by far the worst in my experience, road the bike at the dealership and wasnt going to take the bike without a good set on it, I ended up with scorpions and love em, they do wear a bit fast so I will be researching for replacements in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have a PR 3 on the front, and hope to have a PR4 on the rear by Friday PM. PR4 should give about 20% better wear, with a slightly harder (less sticky) tread. Front tire still has 3.5K miles maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts