Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to happen eventually. Luckily it wasn't a high speed violent event, but I dropped my '16 V650LT, 2200 miles, on a really crappy gravel road in West Virginia. A wrong turn led me uphill through some nastiness, that ran into dead ends on a couple branches, and I had to turn around. That hill was a lot steeper than it seemed coming up, and the ABS wouldn't let me lock up to any controlled slide. Eventually my limited skills and substantial luck ran out, the front caught a crater, and I high-sided over and down. ATGATT ( except jeans, no armor) paid off and all I got was a skinned knee, some scars on the hard case, a damaged hand guard ( but not hand) and a hole punched in the plastic by the right front blinker. (Question: should I replace, or just leave the black gorilla tape in place as a battle scar and reminder?) Object lesson: when you leave your route directions on the kitchen table, don't go by sense of smell. Stop and check the gps. That would have prevented the wrong turn, and so forth. Still a great day. Last note: armored cordura and ballistic mesh pants ordered today. Will pull the trigger on crash bars mid September. Ride safe, everybody.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Replace those front turn signals with micro sized units. I used R&G brand LED signals. They are brighter than factory and they won't hit the ground in a tip over. You'll need an adapter plate to mount them on, which R&G sells inexpensively. For LED signals you need a load adapter which is a simple plug-in to the wiring and is quite cheap too.

Super glue will work on the fairing plastic btw.

I had a similar low speed tip-over on a steep uphill dirt/gravel trail switchback. I'm not good at those and knew it but pressed on due to peer pressure. I fell the long way, down not up the slope. I broke a collar bone and also broke off the right side foot peg. All from a nearly zero mph tip over. But, the micro sized turn signals didn't hit the ground and thus the fairing didn't get damaged.

·
Registered
822 Posts
A couple of things.

A gps can lead to some pretty interesting conclusions, like a "road" that has been grown over by twenty year old trees. DAMHIK, IJK.

On the factory front turn signals there is a metal plate on the inside of the stalk mount. Remove that and the odds of the fairing being broken on a fall down are virtually eliminated. I've ridden over 35k miles after having done that and all is good. That includes speeds up to a ton and some off road. The rubber seems to be stiff enough to hold them in place. Somebody has commented that you can do the same to the rear ones.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
a hole punched in the plastic by the right front blinker. (Question: should I replace, or just leave the black gorilla tape in place as a battle scar and reminder?)
Glad you are ok.

I had to replace my right side when I bought the bike used. Previous owned dropped it in his driveway and poked the turn signal thru the cowling.

Partzilla is where I get all my parts. They are consistently the lest expensive online store I have found. Buck 35 and a little shipping will have you back in the pink...er green, well at least for me.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/55028-0514-51P?ref=1fd04efb129011477e2acdb430732c6cd6c8e30c

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too had that punch during a tip over. So common. I think you can undo the turn signal mounting bracket so the just the plastic fairing holds it in place so it will just pop out during a tip over.

Edit: Whoops someone mentioned this idea already...sorry.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
On the factory front turn signals there is a metal plate on the inside of the stalk mount. Remove that and the odds of the fairing being broken on a fall down are virtually eliminated. I've ridden over 35k miles after having done that and all is good. That includes speeds up to a ton and some off road. The rubber seems to be stiff enough to hold them in place. Somebody has commented that you can do the same to the rear ones.
This is exactly correct. My fairing broke when the signal popped out after a low side. Had to replace both. I removed the metal plates and the rubber has been more than enough to retain the signals. I would have removed the plates on day 1 had I known.

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts