Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have now roughly 130 miles on the bike, I may sell it.
The bike hit 5300 rpms and its like riding a joy buzzer. strong vibes in pegs, bars and seat. I cant possibly imagine being on the road for hours like this. Its nice and smooth till it gets in the 5 range.
Shame.. I researched the bike before I got it and understood the vibe issue, and even rode it but didn't experience anything that would kill the deal.. If I cant remedy this to a degree fast, I will part with the bike and look at something comparable. Love performance and handling.

Sorry about the "know" in the title.. I was going a different direction

·
Registered
481 Posts
So I have now roughly 130 miles on the bike, I may sell it.
The bike hit 5300 rpms and its like riding a joy buzzer. strong vibes in pegs, bars and seat. I cant possibly imagine being on the road for hours like this. Its nice and smooth till it gets in the 5 range.
Shame.. I researched the bike before I got it and understood the vibe issue, and even rode it but didn't experience anything that would kill the deal.. If I cant remedy this to a degree fast, I will part with the bike and look at something comparable. Love performance and handling.

Sorry about the "know" in the title.. I was going a different direction
I'll give you $5 for it. 0:)

hahahahahaahaahahahahaha

Ride it some more - it will grow on you.

It's a motorcycle - it's SUPPOSED to vibrate.
Shush, I'm trying to work a deal here.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Most of my V's vibes are in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range, depending on the load and throttle position.

My '08 V engine really smooths out at around 5000 rpm, on up to 8000 rpm. I cruise all day in the 5000 to 5500 rpm range. Really smooth. [I have added one tooth to the front sprocket.]

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
give it 1000 miles and it will be far far better trust me

·
Registered
243 Posts
As the others have said, it's not even anywhere near broken in yet. It'll get better. It'll also get better if you adjust the chain, I was amazed how much smoother mine got after 1k miles and a chain adjustment.

But, you know, to each their own. Look at something shaft drive if vibrations bother you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
give it 1000 miles and it will be far far better trust me
I honestly may not make it that long. The only saving grace is that I am not planning any long trips for the next 3-5 weeks because of other travels. I almost came of the bike when that buzz hit. Like I said, i REALLY enjoy riding the bike..

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As the others have said, it's not even anywhere near broken in yet. It'll get better. It'll also get better if you adjust the chain, I was amazed how much smoother mine got after 1k miles and a chain adjustment.

But, you know, to each their own. Look at something shaft drive if vibrations bother you.
The Chain was silly tight from the dealership. I know they stretch a bit, But I loosened it after only 10 miles. That being said I have been on chain driven bikes for 40 years (and one belt and 2 shafties) and I don't recall the chain ever being a source of vibration?

So this thing just basically needs to loosen up a bit and the vibes will decrease some. I understand 130 miles is far from broken in, but how much better can it get?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I honestly may not make it that long. The only saving grace is that I am not planning any long trips for the next 3-5 weeks because of other travels. I almost came of the bike when that buzz hit. Like I said, i REALLY enjoy riding the bike..
It's a motorcycle. You need a Prius.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The Chain was silly tight from the dealership. I know they stretch a bit, But I loosened it after only 10 miles. That being said I have been on chain driven bikes for 40 years (and one belt and 2 shafties) and I don't recall the chain ever being a source of vibration?

So this thing just basically needs to loosen up a bit and the vibes will decrease some. I understand 130 miles is far from broken in, but how much better can it get?
Which is more annoying to you - the vibes or the buzzing?

If it's the buzzing, please see the sticky thread on the many fixes out there. The biggest one being where the fairing hits the top of the headlight on the 1st gen.

Which gen V do you have?

A vertical twin with a 180 degree crankshaft (like the V) will naturally have some buzz to it at certain rpms, due to a "rocking couple" produced by the pistons.

But no vibes at cruising speed is fine by me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which is more annoying to you - the vibes or the buzzing?

If it's the buzzing, please see the sticky thread on the many fixes out there. The biggest one being where the fairing hits the top of the headlight on the 1st gen.

Which gen V do you have?

A vertical twin with a 180 degree crankshaft (like the V) will naturally have some buzz to it at certain rpms, due to a "rocking couple" produced by the pistons.

But no vibes at cruising speed is fine by me.
I have a 2014..The buzzing I did not notice as I believe the vibes to be distorting my eardrums to some degree.. if its just a buzzing, Yes I have read about that and ways to address it, this is Vibes.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have a 2014..The buzzing I did not notice as I believe the vibes to be distorting my eardrums to some degree.. if its just a buzzing, Yes I have read about that and ways to address it, this is Vibes.
If it is vibrating enough to distort your eardrums - then you should take it to your dealer, have him ride it, and determine if something is terribly wrong with your new bike. Seriously.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
where is the vibration affecting you most? hands feet ass spine so on, also what kind of riding are you doing IE highway city twistys?
what is your riding style IE throttle style, granny slow or aggressive or somewere between??

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hands and feet mostly.. I probably do 75% of my riding at speeds of 60 MPH or less, however just for giggles I took it up to about 70 and was quickly enlightened as to a fun spirited engine but a numbing vibration as well over 5..
It seems that if Im on the throttle not much Vibes, but light steady throttle mainitaining speed and it Vibes. I am still breaking it In, so It may calm down over 5300 or so.. But I havent ran it that high yet.
I hate to get rid of a bike that fits my size and style so well, seems the general consensus is that as it gets more miles on it it will loosen up a bit and the vibes may subside a bit.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Chained bikes are an art. You usually figure them out after you replace your first chain and sprockets.

If you are not spray cleaning and spray lubing your chains with a towel every couple of rides, you should start before your chain/sprockets need replacing.

Vibrations come and go with everything you do to a sports bike, especially at the handlebar control end: my 2012 was smooth as glass oem stock. The Vs. 650 CAN smooth out in most cases. What year is yours?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hands and feet mostly.. I probably do 75% of my riding at speeds of 60 MPH or less, however just for giggles I took it up to about 70 and was quickly enlightened as to a fun spirited engine but a numbing vibration as well over 5..
It seems that if Im on the throttle not much Vibes, but light steady throttle mainitaining speed and it Vibes. I am still breaking it In, so It may calm down over 5300 or so.. But I havent ran it that high yet.
I hate to get rid of a bike that fits my size and style so well, seems the general consensus is that as it gets more miles on it it will loosen up a bit and the vibes may subside a bit.
Ron, you are missing the magic of this bike! The midrange cam kicks in about 6k rpm. Bump it up a little and see what you've been missing. It smooths out REAL nice at 6k rpm and above.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts