Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my fuel pump failed and I had the tank off for a week awaiting a replacement pump.

Tank was about 1/3 full, so I found a safe spot where it wouldn't fall over and left it upside down on a rag.

Fast forward one week and I retrieve tank to fit new pump, seems gas had leaked onto the rag and destroyed the paint on the top of the tank, [email protected]#$!!!!!!!! What a dumb ass!! I'd post a photo, but attaching photos here is clearly above my pay-grade!

Have bought a can of Plastidip, which I'll use as a temp band-aid and to stop tank from rusting, while I decide what to do.

The bike is a red 08, if I have the tank professionally repainted, thinking I might as well have the other red parts done at the same time, then I'm thinking I might also change colour. Has anyone just painted the tank a different colour, (thinking Black or Graphite Gray or Silver) and left the other parts the original colour?

Anyways, thought I'd share my pain, please keep the laughter to a dull roar :eek:/

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On many of the later 2nd gen bikes the tank is black and colored plastics. I personaly think it makes the bike look like a hodge podge of parts trying to fix a bime that was crashed, but many seem to be happy with it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
talk about a fire hazard

make sure you get some lube into your keyhole or it could corrode and seize.

I've seen tanks a different color. you could try plasti-dip paintjob on all the plastics to see if you like a different color.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mr. Fox has a red tank for sale in for-sale section. Look under "2008 parts".

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
On many of the later 2nd gen bikes the tank is black and colored plastics. I personaly think it makes the bike look like a hodge podge of parts trying to fix a bime that was crashed, but many seem to be happy with it.
Some of us chose our bike based on the look. I paid 1800 more for a new '11 over a used '09. Had that '09 been green, I would have made a different choice.

To the OP. You are very fortunate that ruined paints all that happened.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Some of us chose our bike based on the look. I paid 1800 more for a new '11 over a used '09. Had that '09 been green, I would have made a different choice.

To the OP. You are very fortunate that ruined paints all that happened.
I prefer the looks of the 2nd gen over my 1st. But I bought mine before the 2nd was released. I just am not a fan of the mismatched tanks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
comedy gold,

but seriously;

get some corrosion prevention in the gas cap lock tumbler. When I got back from 6 months of military leave the alchohol had off-gassed from the fuel corroding the lock shut and it took a while to get the cap open. being washed by gasoline will do it also.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
Or you can get one of these and not worry about getting your hole plugged...:teetertooter::teetertooter:

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts