Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I am on my second set of tyres for my 2021 1000S and both the original Bridgestones and now the replacement Michelins have somehow developed a wear line down the centre of the front tyre.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Anyone got any idea what is going on here? I have taken off the front mudguard to have a look and nothing in there seems to be causing this.

I had assumed the OE Bridgstones were faulty but apparently not.......

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
Hey all,

So I am on my second set of tyres for my 2021 1000S and both the original Bridgestones and now the replacement Michelins have somehow developed a wear line down the centre of the front tyre.
View attachment 192169

Anyone got any idea what is going on here? I have taken off the front mudguard to have a look and nothing in there seems to be causing this.

I had assumed the OE Bridgstones were faulty but apparently not.......
First, welcome to the forum. I've never seen anything like that before. You said you removed the mud guard, to me that is the small flap at the rear most of the fender. Have you removed the entire fender? There must be an obstruction somewhere, possibly a "tit" in the factory casting of the fender.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You said you removed the mud guard, to me that is the small flap at the rear most of the fender.
I love things like this, we truly are 'sperated by a common language' at times. By mudguard I mean what I assume you would call the fender. We had that off yesterday and there is nothing obvious that is causing this.

By the time I replaced the OE Bridgestones the ridge was getting quite obvious and it has taken over 1000 kms with the Michelins to become noticeable.

The only thing I can think of is that the mudguard/fender is rubbing on it somehow, but I can't work out how

· Registered
832 Posts
I love things like this, we truly are 'sperated by a common language' at times.
That is funny, I was thinking of a fender extender. You do have a bizarre occurrence going on. Being dead center on two different brand tires it has to be something to do with the fender. I zoomed in real close to the picture and what strikes me as odd is some of the lines appear deeper and wider in different areas and wider at the trailing edge as it leaves the tread instead at the start of the tread if that makes sense. As writing this a thought came to me, do you have a way to suspend the front wheel and spin it to see if the rim is out of round? The variance in the line depth makes me wonder that but not a clue to the cause of it.

· Registered
2016 650 Versys, 2022 V85 Guzzi, 2017 V7III Guzzi, 2001 EV Guzzi 2016 V7II Guzzi
85 Posts
I've seen it before, but don't remember on what brand. I believe it had something to do with the original manufacturing process and nothing with you or the bike.

· Registered
832 Posts
Ive just done some Googling and apparently its something callen an antenna tread. Never heard of it before and the technical jargon goes over my head, but I'm inclined to think its ok
I googled it to know, makes sense just never have seen it, They say it's done to auto tires too even though when I get out my car I still get zapped. Cheers

· Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
227 Posts
If it's an antenna tread, they are usually buried at the depth of the wear bars..... you're not even close..... I know they are in rear tires, haven't noticed one on any front tires I've had.

· Registered
360 Posts
I googled it to know, makes sense just never have seen it, They say it's done to auto tires too even though when I get out my car I still get zapped. Cheers
Fascinating, thanks for the link. Learn something new every day!!!

· Registered
2022 Honda CB500X, ex Versys 650
67 Posts
I googled 'carbon black' as that is used for tyre carcasses for decades, giving the benefits of static discharge but comes at the expense of long life and higher rolling resistance.
A development from using it through out the compound mix, is to coat the inside wall (on a car tyre I guess) to discharge the static and not be seen from the road side.
A directionally orientated tyre no doubt they would be speaking of.

The antenna method would be a better tyre as it would have more silica and less carbon black, giving it a greener energy rating.
Thanks to Listerfiend, I think we all learned something from his post.

Rob.

· Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I run Anakee 3 tyres on my adventure bikes and they show a pronounced cut line that looks like someone got a knife and held it against the tread while it turns.
Distributor confirmed Anti Static carbon strip with comments...

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts