Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple rides when I shut the bike off I get this weird smell that's sort of half burning rubber, half electrical. I can't pinpoint it but it seems to be strongest at the rear of the engine/swingarm pivot area.

I can't see anything obviously wrong, anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Had you been riding in wet conditions previously? Mine always has a smell the next day/time I ride it after it's gotten really wet. As fasteddie mentions, check around your muffler you might have something stuck somewhere on it. I once had a mushroom stuck on the bottom of mine and had this awful smell and sizzling sound when I cut the engine off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking, like maybe a wire against the hot exhaust or something, but I can't see anything obvious. It hasn't been wet here at all. I'll take another look today.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
+1 Always a little smell. Chain lube drops to lower pan by muff and will burn off. Be aware of it but I would not start ripping things apart! :eek:

My bike has done it from brand new. But I use heavy kawi chain lube and alot of it! :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 Always a little smell. Chain lube drops to lower pan by muff and will burn off. Be aware of it but I would not start ripping things apart! :eek:

My bike has done it from brand new. But I use heavy kawi chain lube and alot of it! :thumb:

I've had that before so I know what it smells like, this wasn't that though.

Anyway, I rode today and it's gone, so I'm still going with something dripping on the hot exhaust.

Found a coolant leak today too though :( looking back through old posts it looks like this is a pretty common problem, wish it had showed up while the bike was under warranty. Is it just the water pump seal that causes it or am I going to have to replace the whole water pump?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
+1 for after rain smell. Also for chain lube (in my case amsoil chain oil). Once hit a stupid shopping bag which stank terribly. Protip: if you get anything melted on your headers/exhaust like a plastic bag or tarp the best way to clean is to let it heat up a lot so the plastic softens. Then take some non-plastic twine or butchers string and carefully loop it over. Now slide to evenly remove melted plastic. I'm sure there are plenty of ways but this was quick and easy for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I've had that before so I know what it smells like, this wasn't that though.

Anyway, I rode today and it's gone, so I'm still going with something dripping on the hot exhaust.

Found a coolant leak today too though :( looking back through old posts it looks like this is a pretty common problem, wish it had showed up while the bike was under warranty. Is it just the water pump seal that causes it or am I going to have to replace the whole water pump?
Coolant leak pretty common problem? The only problem I am aware of is the small one or two drips through the over flow tube, which can be corrected by extenting the tube up above the tank an extra inch or two. :thumb:

·
Registered
601 Posts
From your muffler...?
My first thought too. I get weird smells from time to time too that I assume are random things burning off the muffler like road grime and overspray from lubing my chain.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Haven't been in Colorado lately have you? I mean since they started sell weed legal like? :p

El Tig when you get the munchies you need to be careful with the pizza! Mushrooms on the muffler? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
...Is it just the water pump seal that causes it or am I going to have to replace the whole water pump?
If it becomes a problem, probably ONLY the seal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts