Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without changing the look etc of the bike (much), is there anything that can be done to lower the weight of the Versys? Are the stock handlebars significantly heavier than aftermarket aluminium ones? I'm guessing there's probably signifiant savings in replacing the muffler? Anything else?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I weigh in at 53kg, I don't think I could go on a diet :p

Oh, and that's part of the reason why I want to make the bike lighter too. Rider:Bike weight ratio isn't overly great (counter balancing on dirt is way harder when the bike weighs like almost 4 times more than you!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi there... what you can do is lower the rear end with a lowering block (drops it by 1 1/2") and then the front via the streeting tree (that will go down 1 1/4" ) - this still keeps the Great look of the bike and does make a difference in handling.... on my Versys I lowered it by 2" - 50mm (I made my own aluminium lowering blocks - being a Metal tradeperson) and I found just by that makes a differnece - you do however also have to shorten the side stand to allow the height difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andreas56: I've dropped the front forks very slightly, but would prefer not to lower the bike in general as I want all the ground clearance I can get :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
The muffler is really the only cost effective way to drop pounds or kilos. Once you've done that, you can only drop ounces with things like aluminum or titanium bits such as fastener kits, custom turned axles, weighing tires before you buy them etc. Those weight savings are small and usually quite expensive. Of course you could have an aluminum fuel tank fabricated if you win the lottery.

·
0 Posts
The muffler is really the only cost effective way to drop pounds or kilos. Once you've done that, you can only drop ounces with things like aluminum or titanium bits such as fastener kits, custom turned axles, weighing tires before you buy them etc. Those weight savings are small and usually quite expensive. Of course you could have an aluminum fuel tank fabricated if you win the lottery.
I repeat "trellis frame"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
133bhp: How do you remove the trellis frame without losing strength (like for luggage or pillion etc) or the bike falling apart?

Does anyone know how much the stock muffler weighs? I wonder if there are any lighter aftermarket mufflers that aren't any louder (I don't really like loud pipes - I know, I'm weird). I suppose with the muffler hung so low on the bike it probably doesn't really affect the CG of the bike anyway...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I believe the trellis frame is strictly there for the passenger foot pegs.
Anyone else?

·
0 Posts
I believe the trellis frame is strictly there for the passenger foot pegs.
Anyone else?
+1 - plenty have removed it. The grab handles can go too, they're a kilo or more.

without big bucks, and keeping looks, your extremely limited. If dirt is your thing? I'd save the cost of a full arrow etc, lighter wheels etc, and grab an old xr400 or something?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts