Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a blessed man.

Let me say it again: I'm a blessed man.

On July 27th, 1:30PM EST, my bike went down. My wife was riding along as a passenger.

Here's how it went. I was riding up Cumberland Blvd in Smyrna, GA after a church service. I was making a legal u-turn to the left, an as I exited the u-turn, I started to accelerate to get up to speed with the traffic that was approaching. As I accelerated, the missus shifted rearward, and she instinctively held tight to me. I shifted with her, and my throttle hand pulled. Hard. The front wheel went up, and as soon as I realized it, I let go of the throttle. That's when things got really, really ugly.

The front wheel came down hard and fast - right on the sidewalk. Then the Versys slammed my wife and I over onto the sidewalk, where I somehow (thankfully) let go of the bike and it slid away from us. My wife landed on top of me (she was holding on tight) on impact and we slid on my left side initially for about 10 feet. She rolled off of me onto her back, and I continued to slide on my right side. Finally, I stopped, with her about 5 feet from me to my left.

I sat up, dazed, and then stood up, feeling light-headed and woozy. My wife was conscious as well. By this time someone had stopped and called the police, who responded within about 10 minutes, followed by the fire department. My left arm was in great pain and unmovable, but overall, aside from a broken arm, I was ok. My wife also came through ok, since she had me as a cushion. She has a pretty good-sized bruise on her left knee, but otherwise is ok. No neck injuries and no head injuries, and we were both conscious as well. My wife has nothing broken anywhere.

So, here I sit typing this up with one hand, with no road rash and an intact body, giving thanks to Jesus that my wife came through almost unharmed and that all I have is a broken arm, scraped up bike, and a bruised ego.

Now, I went with textile, which I thought would be ok. It did the job (and did it well) but I wonder about the real durability of these textiles in an accident. This wasn't a mesh jacket, but I think mesh would have been even worse. So, here they are, the pictures of my gear:
Left knee panel ripped - right knee had split open 2 weeks before the wreck:

Left shoulder and right breast:

Right breast close up:

Left glove (THIS COULD HAVE BEEN MY SKIN!!!):

Right glove:

Helmet (Note that it's where 1/2 and 3/4 helmets DON'T protect - this could have meant a wired jaw):

Boots (These are $99.00 Belleville leather flight deck boots that come a good 4" above the ankle - do flip flops, sneakers, or sandals protect your feet like this?):

I'm here today thanks to Jesus and my gear. Now, think about this: I was going maybe 20 mph when I landed. If I hadn't been wearing all the gear that they cynics, rebels, mockers, and teasers mock me for wearing, would I be typing the day after the crash, with no road rash and minimal pain?

If you're not wearing the gear, you need to look at mine, think about it, and tell me whether or not discomfort is worth walking away with a passenger in good shape and having only a broken bone.

I'm sorry, but I can't stress enough how important this gear is. *EDIT* Nope, not sorry come to think of it.

Also, here's some pics of the Versys :(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad to see you and your wife come out OK on this. Going down is never fun, luckily you were smart enough to wear gear. I always cringe when I see the guys on sportbikes flying down the street in shorts with no shirt and sandals.

I'm just glad everyone came out alright.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Glad to see you and your wife come out OK on this. Going down is never fun, luckily you were smart enough to wear gear. I always cringe when I see the guys on sportbikes flying down the street in shorts with no shirt and sandals.

I'm just glad everyone came out alright.
I know Darwin is at work when I see those sport guys! :p

But... Ozryan, it's good to hear that you and your wife are both doing ok. Gear is vital.
Other than the cosmetic damage shown in the pictures... how's the bike?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike's overall ok - it's in Atlanta and I'm in Alabama, so I can't really do much else. I just gotta wait for the motorcycle dealership to patch up the bike for me :D

Thanks for the sentiments guys.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i dumped a bike at 40mph hour on the blue ridge parkway going in a turn, slid about 20 feet on my back, the front tire put a black mark a foot long on my helmet, starting at my chin going up the side... i was wearing leathers....not a scratch, but sore... walked away, and learned a valuable lesson......ALWAYS check your tire pressure before a ride, my front was low as hell and flattend on the rim in a dip in the road......tire pressure tire pressure!!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
You guys are very lucky, and blessed. This is a great post for wearing gear, when it's hot sometimes my wife wants to argue about wearing gear....i don't like the heat either, but the negatives from a crash without it are far worse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank goodness you both are relatively unscathed. Your point about wearing your gear is well taken, but, allow me to point out one unused piece of gear that might have prevented the whole thing-the passenger grab rails. If your wife shifted while holding the rails, she would not have brought you with her and the whole scenario might have been very different.

Again, I'm really glad that you both are up and about.

Ed

·
Registered
92 Posts
Glad to hear you and the Missus are relatively OK. I'm an ATGATT myself and you, and another friends mishap earlier in the week just proves why. Sorry you went down, but I'm glad you were prepared. Heal up soon and get your V back and we'll see you on the road.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too am glad you and the wife are ok!!!
I always ride with gear these days as well, and your unfortunate down just goes to show how important this is!!! Every time I see those guys in flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt, and helmet locked onto the back of the bike rolling down the road, I think how bad off they will be if they go down.
Heal quick and get back on her!!!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident. I have to admit I have caught myself saying, "It's too hot for my jacket today, i'll strap it to the back and go without." Considering your example of atgatt, I'll be wearing my gear always. Thanks for saving me from the same fate. I hope you look at this post and realize that your unfortunate event has saved another from his own stupidity. Good luck on your's and your wife's healing. Although this brings up a point worth mentioning. My GF wants to ride on the back all the time, but I hate riding someone. I have told her that we need to get her a bike of her own. It's way sexier for a woman to ride her own, rather than to ride on back. So a message to all the female V'ites, get your own bike! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was just telling a friend the other day that I'm a MOTGATT (most of the gear all of the time) but seeing the shape of all of your gear I think I'm changing the first two letters.

I too thank Jesus for your safety, and also for your post. You may have saved two of us (stonedgp and I) some skin. What Satan intended for bad . . .

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ozyran,

This past Saturday we went for a long ride in the twisties. A girl who was a friend of a guy riding with us showed up with a helmet, no gloves, leather riding jacket, short pants, and tennis shoes with no socks!

She went down soon after we arrived in the mountains. Nothing broken but rashed and scratched pretty bad.
Our group have made a pact: If you aint in your proper riding gear, you aint riding with us. PERIOD.

Lives and limbs are at stake every time we ride.

As far as that nylon/textile gear, from what I understand it is more a save your assh for one crash deal. Repair if you can or throw away and replace.

Really happy you and your wife are ok man and thank you for sharing your story :thumb::thumb::thumb::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thank God you use the brains He gave you by putting on the gear.

Right now I'm in Phoenix and people give me some strange looks wearing all the gear from head to toe in this hot weather, but I don't care. It's me that suffers if I go down, not them.

Thanks for the great example you set and we are all grateful you are both ok, considering.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ozyran,

Your story & piz really grabed me. The Versys will b my first bike & I was really only thinking about the helmet. I live in Phoeniz, Az & a jacket in the heat 4 months of the year, well. But after reading your story I am seriously reconsidering. Thanks 4 taking the time.

A high 5 from a fellow believer, John

A Bible that's falling apart belongs to a person who isn't

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know your both repairable, hear in the U.K. the weather tells us that if you dont wear the right gear you might freeze to death anyway, but on the odd day that its hot i still wear the gear it might be light weight summer gear but still has all the armer in the places that matter, what makes me shudder is all the sixteen year olds riding scooters in the citys(the place wear crashes happen most) wearing nothing but helmets! oh well kids allways learn the hard way. Just you get well soon my friend then straight back on board your your trusty steed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts