Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this would be a great motor for a turbo, not some giant huffer, just a small low pressure model like 6-10 psi would be adequate.There seems to be enough room in front of the motor, check out turbo triumph bonnevilles to see what i mean. If you could get the versys up to about 85-90 horses that would be perfect. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
959 Posts
what do I think?

why waste the time, effort, and money....
if you don't think the Versys has the right engine power for you, go buy another bike. Its got sufficient for me, and most people I know who have and ride one.

The overall stock package os pretty good, everythign so far indicates good medium to long term reliability.

Aside from the minor niggles theres not a lot wrong with the bike. I do occasionally try to find 7th gear so maybe additional gears or looking at the spacing between gears may be a smart move by Kawasaki. but an additional 40 odd BHP, your 'aving a larf (I hope)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow put a muffler on that thing. Hearing the turbo spool and the BOV popping is so much sexier than listing to a open piped lawn mower...GAK!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
That sounds like a project that one does, just because they can. We all waiting for a ride report from whoever does it!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've got a whole boat-load of Kawasaki ER-6N turbo pics from a European College team. I can't find any webpage reference to it via Google-ing "ER-6N Turbo" anymore. I may just upload the pics to my website and denote the owner reference (if it's legal to do so.)

It's a rock solid clean install.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Unless you are into drag racing or land speed records - turbos and motorcycles don't mix real well. Think about the boost kicking in (or not kicking in) while you are carving a turn. Linear, predictable, engine response is crucial for riding a motorcycle in the turns.
That's why we don't have turbos on bikes. (But it does sound like a fun learning/tinkering project, and a cool "bike night" farkle to show off.)

Now that I think about it, I remember my father-in-law had a car with a turbo in it. I loved to borrow that car and "gas it" and feel that turbo kick in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbos

If any of you guys have driven a modern variable vane turbo backed up by computer controlled FI you can attest that the dreaded 80's turbo lag is a thing of the past and that is also why i mentioned a small turbo that would spool up instantly. For me part of the fun of motorcycling is having an over powered machine that really moves when i want it to b/c i can't afford a high horsepower car. This might be a job for 08versys,thanks for the links they were cool.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not so. I drive a state of the art 2008 turbo car and there's still a slight lag. It's probably more psychological than anything else but it's still there. I can feel it. In a car I can handle a slight hesitation. On a bike, forget it. When I crack the throttle I want the bike to respond immediately.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That thing still has some strange appeal, kind of like a car wreck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can appreciate the quest for more power, but quite honestly this bike has enough for road work, for me anyway. I've had fair share of ZX9R's Blackbirds, ZX12R's to KNOW that you simply don't need it. Forced induction is awesome, but if you really want more power, it'd be easier to find another ride. BTW...if 'ya really want INSTANT power by way of forced induction, go with a supercharger instead.....no lag there....

·
Registered
92 Posts
... you simply don't need it. Forced induction is awesome, but if you really want more power, it'd be easier to find another ride....
There are guys who race lawnmowers, and I have to believe that most of them know that faster vehicles are available out of the box.

There are also guys who turbo and supercharge Hayabusas and the like. The point is that making sense is not the goal of projects like this. Rather, it is about considering what is and then dreaming about what it could be, and buying a faster bike just won't scratch THAT itch.

FWIW, I don't have that particular itch, but I sure like watching the other guys.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are guys who race lawnmowers, and I have to believe that most of them know that faster vehicles are available out of the box.

There are also guys who turbo and supercharge Hayabusas and the like. The point is that making sense is not the goal of projects like this. Rather, it is about considering what is and then dreaming about what it could be, and buying a faster bike just won't scratch THAT itch.

FWIW, I don't have that particular itch, but I sure like watching the other guys.
Yes, I understand completely where you are coming from, because I've been there...many times. But I guess what would make more "sense", if you have the desire to modify {to that extreme}, would be to start with the proper mount. Take a ZX12R {or any sportbike for that matter} for example. You know going into it that it's a rocket. Once you become accustomed to it's power, it's only natural {!} to want more. I can understand putting an end can on a Versys because of the "noise" that you might find desirable {I did, have an Akrapovic....took it back off...}, and I don't find fault with anyone looking to farkle or play...but...to go to the extreme of a turbo and usually end up with a tempermental ride I feel is ludicrous, not to mention for what it costs to buy and install the turbo you could trade it for something with comparible {or more} power. After all the turbo modification, expense, and just plain frustration, you could buy a Tiger or "something" NEW. The guys that race lawnmowers are cool.......but they have a purpose, they are involved in racing. If the rider that wants to turbo his bike get into "racing" that's an entirely different approach. Hey, look.....I grew up racing motocross, then raced 120+MPH outboard powerboats for 20 some-odd years, and make a living keeping the performance minded bass-boaters going fast. Been there, done that. I guess I'm just getting too old, and that "itch" is for the most part, gone, replaced by {more} common sense......JMHO.....:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could get a triumph tiger but you'll also get a liter bikes weight, i'm talking about the balanced feel of a middle weight with a little more umph, is a 400 pound 90-100 hp bike really that outlandish,IMO i don't think so

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a toy . YOU PLAY with it . I've had turbo bikes before and they are just plain FUN to PLAY with.:devil:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok, OK.....you guys win....like I said before, been there done that. Have fun!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts