Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been some very nice weather here so I've been out and about, riding the favorite canyons and backroads. I typically give a short wave to other riders if I'm not shifting or something. When someone waves at you, it's pretty easy to tell if they aren't wearing gloves. I have noticed an uptick in riders, mostly cruisers, who are riding without them. I haven't seen anyone wave a stump at me, so I guess the ones who don't wear gloves, go off and throw out their hands just grind them off and then stop riding.

Seriously man, if you're not wearing gloves, don't wave to me 'cause I'd rather not think about your palms shredding into little pieces of gravel, flesh and bone while the Turkey Vultures stop for a meal. Ewwww....:eek:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Interestingly a 2013 study by the NHTSA shows the fatality rate amount motorcyclists is 10x higher in states without mandatory helmet laws and most people in those states don't wear helmets. Point is that I think most people just don't think about crashing or the risks involved until they actually do, and then they give up riding due to the injuries incurred. I've crashed, wearing protective gear, didn't suffer any serious injuries and am still riding, which I guess gives my a different perspective. From an article called "3 best ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle"...

3) Drink and ride - 33% of single vehicle motorcycle accidents involve a DUI rider
2) Drink and ride on the weekend - 66% of single vehicle motorcycle accidents on a weekend involve a DIY rider
1) Don't wear a helmet or protective gear - most fatal or serious motorcycle accidents involve a head injury, the leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident, by a very large margin, is a head strike

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
Easy fix. Stop waving at cruisers!!!
and also scooter riders.

Down under, we nod to say hello.

Squids - are those who wear no protection or very little and usually wear singlets shorts and thongs (flip flops) never nod - so we don't acknowledge them for their stupidity.

City scooter riders also squid it. They also don't nod back even if they are ATGATT. We put it down to I mean we ignore them because scooters are not motorcycles :)

I think nodding is safer. You will never see a headless rider. If you keep waving and someone does hold up a stump I recon you will fall off your bike!!!! Be safe.

Oh and next Halloween you are waving with a fake stump :) **

** no responsibility taken if they get nightmare seeing you wave a stump!

·
Registered
692 Posts
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I was one of those riders when I got my first bike at 18. Always worn a helmet (law here). Rode in shorts and sneakers and never thought about going down. I was actually told by an old irritating guy at a gas station once to get some protective gear. My wife and I didn't think much of it at the time, actually thought it was none of his business.

I am 42 now and am now the old irritating guy. My wife rides her own bike and we are both ATGATT. I don't push the issue but try to briefly mention to younger riders the importance of protective gear. I am great at reading body language. If I get the huff, I wish them a safe ride an move along.

Funny how life changed me with age. I absolutely love seeing the younger guys gearing up. There are tons more clothing options now than there were in 1988. Cost to gear up should not be a factor since there are always close out deals at http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/ Even the cheap stuff is much better than nothing.

I do owe a great deal of credit to the folks on this forum as well as Rock The Gear, Brittany Morrows story/mission.

Be safe folks!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gigitt, I like the head nod idea. Love the idea of the fake stump...hahahaa...that would really freak someone out!

We have a parakeet named Gidget, she's a sweet bird but doesn't put up with any other bird's guff. Don't cross Gidgie!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Easy fix. Stop waving at cruisers!!!
and also scooter riders.

Down under, we nod to say hello.

Squids - are those who wear no protection or very little and usually wear singlets shorts and thongs (flip flops) never nod - so we don't acknowledge them for their stupidity.

City scooter riders also squid it. They also don't nod back even if they are ATGATT. We put it down to I mean we ignore them because scooters are not motorcycles :)

I think nodding is safer. You will never see a headless rider. If you keep waving and someone does hold up a stump I recon you will fall off your bike!!!! Be safe.

Oh and next Halloween you are waving with a fake stump :) **

** no responsibility taken if they get nightmare seeing you wave a stump!
HEY, I ride a cruiser and a scooter. I wave at everyone, you never know who might also be a real motorcyclist.

The reason they don't wear gloves (I ALWAYS do) is so you can see their hands more easily. The problem with the "nod" is that you have to be helmetless (just like no gloves) for others to see it, haha.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Saw a dude today with a decent jacket... padding, protection, bright orange panels... the works. He also had shorts, sneakers and no gloves and no helmet. Darwin Award candidate.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Interestingly a 2013 study by the NHTSA shows the fatality rate amount motorcyclists is 10x higher in states without mandatory helmet laws and most people in those states don't wear helmets.
Every time I see some figures like this I have to think these numbers (if they ARE the actual numbers) are doctored. I have a hard time believing this guy has just increased his chance of surviving an accident X10.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ride a cruiser as well as my V, and my preference is not to wear gloves (weather permitting) because I feel my hands are less restricted, thus have more control. No doubt it's safer to wear them, and maybe some day an incident will happen that will convince me to wear them at all times. But for now, I'd rather not. It's a choice.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I was one of those riders when I got my first bike at 18. Always worn a helmet (law here). Rode in shorts and sneakers and never thought about going down. I was actually told by an old irritating guy at a gas station once to get some protective gear. My wife and I didn't think much of it at the time, actually thought it was none of his business.

I am 42 now and am now the old irritating guy. My wife rides her own bike and we are both ATGATT. I don't push the issue but try to briefly mention to younger riders the importance of protective gear. I am great at reading body language. If I get the huff, I wish them a safe ride an move along.

Funny how life changed me with age. I absolutely love seeing the younger guys gearing up. There are tons more clothing options now than there were in 1988. Cost to gear up should not be a factor since there are always close out deals at http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/ Even the cheap stuff is much better than nothing.

I do owe a great deal of credit to the folks on this forum as well as Rock The Gear, Brittany Morrows story/mission.

Be safe folks!! :thumb:

Funny how our stories parallel. Once on this forum and because of other thing, I went ATGATT. And than Hi-Vis! :thumb::thumb:

Hope to never use any of my gear on the pavement, but I have seen the light! :D

It is a free country and as I always say. "RIDE FREE BE SAFE" :usa:

·
Super Moderator
18,974 Posts
Can't say how many pairs of gloves I have, but the number includes armored-mesh for hot days, waterproof for rainy, insulated for cold, as well as regular ones - ALL armored!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am a MTGSTT (most of the gear some of the time). I always wear helmet and boot but the rest of the stuff depends on my mood and what kind of riding I will be doin'. On post gloves are required.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
It's neither "right" nor "wrong," and I'm not attempting to be moralistic, but not wearing gloves because it restricts movement seems very similar to the position offered by some people that they don't wear seat belts because it limits their movement. I can't help but wonder what those movements might be. :confused:

Still, gloves or no gloves, helmet or no helmet, remains an individual choice (at least in states that don't mandate such things). That being said, almost every local newspaper article detailing the death of a motorcyclist indicates the rider wasn't wearing a helmet. Gloves or no gloves isn't mentioned, probably because it had little bearing, at least in the article-writers opinion, on the result.

My two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
I ride a cruiser as well as my V, and my preference is not to wear gloves (weather permitting) because I feel my hands are less restricted, thus have more control. No doubt it's safer to wear them, and maybe some day an incident will happen that will convince me to wear them at all times. But for now, I'd rather not. It's a choice.

I ride mostly wearing the Mechanix Gloves. Not much protection in a crash but i don't like bulky gloves or having sweaty hands in leather gloves..

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Can't say how many pairs of gloves I have, but the number includes armored-mesh for hot days, waterproof for rainy, insulated for cold, as well as regular ones - ALL armored!
Eddie,

Does that imply that some rainy day you should set aside time for a glove inventory? Of course that's always risky because you may discover you're missing a particular type or color glove, and that will only add to the inventory!

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Have the same Hi-Vis Mechanix Gloves and I see now they have them armored! :thumb::thumb:
Really !!! I'll have to check them out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts