Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not able to start my Kawasaki versys 650 2014. It was running fine and then after completing a long trip it died.

Current state:
It would something idle for sec and then die if I open up throttle it would go for a bit and then die.

Video:

Info:
It has 20k miles but it was starting and running without issues.

Things checked:
So far I replaced sparkplugs and air filter which looked dirty. Battery is fully charged and gas is full.

Did diagnostics but did not see any code messages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not able to start my motorcycle. It was running fine and then died.

It would something idel for sec and then die if I open up throttle it would go for a bit and then die.

Video:

So far I replaced sparkplugs and air filter which looked dirty. Battery is fully charged and gas is full.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not able to start my motorcycle. It was running fine and then died.

It would something idel for a sec and then die if I open up throttle it would go for a bit and then die.

Video:
photos.app.goo.gl

New video by Zilvin

So far I replaced sparkplugs and air filters which looked dirty. The battery is fully charged and gas is full.

·
Registered
679 Posts
could be the vehicle-down-sensor (VDS)

this thread mention a hack just in case you want to assert if that is the actual trouble:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Zilvinas, why don't you share model year so we have more information? Carburetor, fuel injected?? Little more info could help diagnose.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Is your IAP sensor hose split/cracked or detached from left TB vacuum fitting or IAP sensor near left turn signal? Make sure all is as it should.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
FYI I received a PM / Conversation, whatever you want to call it from the OP his comments in blue
I was reading your comments and I was very impressed with how much knowledge you possess. Currently, I am in a pickle by being on a road 1000 miles away from home with a bike that would not start.

Could you take a look and let me know what you think?

comments earlier by Invader were pretty accurate, you have a 2014, unless you were in some heavy rain for several days I don't see the vehicle down sensor. First thing is I need to tell you I am quitting this forum, my dog just got sprayed by a skunk , my house smells like skunk and we just did the baking soda / hydrogen peroxide thing. There is a work around for the tip over switch, but I wouldn't be riding 1000 miles bypassing it. My first guess is the lines Invader said, I would go to a auto parts store and get some 5/32 vacuum line about 3 feet, replace everything, pay attention to the lengths on the throttle bodies, you can make them 3 to 6 inches longer than stock , just make them the same/ equal length. After that you need a digital meter to solve anything further. see post 25 , you need a 12,000 ohm and 3000 ohm resistor, or variations of that. I could explain further but the vacuum lines are my first place to change Vehicle Down Sensor / Tip Over Switch / Bike fell down...
I will check back tomorrow.
Next and this is simple, unplug the main and subthrottle sensor connectors and if you have a small amount of dielectric grease before you plug it back in, ( less is better)the grease helps to seal it and improves conduction.After that you need a meter. My second guess is the connector on the right side of the air box may not be plugged in correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that the tip over sensor connection was an issue. When I disconnected the male/female connector I noticed a lot of white gunk.

Last night I was cleaning it with electric connection cleaner spray. I am hoping that it is just the connection not the inner housing of the sensor.

Keep you guys posted.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
First look at the time of post#11, yes in a new thread, I didn't see it until a hour later, so moved it here at 10;12 AM

Got this from the OP a few minutes ago , his text in red

I disconnected VDS switch and opened a can of warms--the connection was full of white gunk. When I unplugged it, the moto would start and run without a problem for 5 sec then it would die--which is a good indication that it was an issue.

I was cleaning the connection with electric connection cleaner spray with a hope that the issue was only with the connector by not the sensor housing itself.

I am hoping that there are no more problems.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
It seems that the tip over sensor connection was an issue. When I disconnected the male/female connector I noticed a lot of white gunk.

Last night I was cleaning it with electric connection cleaner spray. I am hoping that it is just the connection not the inner housing of the sensor.

Keep you guys posted.
First , please keep all your posts within this thread, people that have responded before have a history of what is going on, posting in multiple forums just thins out the response. This is my last time I move things. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

Thank you for your replays. What a great community!

It was a connector for a tilt sensor (vehicle down sensor). the connection was full of white paste which seemed it was water corrosion-related... I got some electrical cleaner spray and some q-tips to get the stuff out. It worked.

BTW, seems like multiple questions I posted (separate topics) got bunched up in one thread. Bunching everything together seems a bit messy. Even I was confused about what conversation was about and lost track of who first helped me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts