Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a long weekend here so went for a 470km ride. Went first to a bike shop in christchurch were I purchased my V just over a year ago and had coffee and cake there as it is a 160km ride north from my house. Why I was there noticed a guy arrived on a kawasaki Z1000 and went straight over to my bike, it was the previous owner, cut a long story short we had a good chat and then told him I was going to ride around banks peninsula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banks_Peninsula so he said he and his wife ended up coming with me for some of the ride.

Roger and Melinda

We rode around the most awsome hills, have not been this way since was a kid in parents car and now no why I got car sick as it is twisty heaven.
We rode to little river where Rodger and Melinda brought me coffee and some food, that was really awsome as only met these guys today and they are a real nice couple.

We departed company here but I wanted to ride on to Akaroa but they suggested I take the long way around by going over the hills, this meant many miles of steep gravel tracks and was a bit concerned as i have road tires on. Did get on the wrong track as heading down a long hill but asked a car coming up half way down and the young surfer guys said follow them and they did know where to go.

Now this next section heading to the bottom turned out to be the steepest and was only in first or 2nd, pic does not really show the steepest further down but due to a 4wd coming up the hill, my back wheel started skidding in 1st and had to be ever so gentle on brakes or was going to slid out of control but got through that but to be honest my old bmw gs would of handed it better.

Once off the gravel had to have a shot of a sealed road and looking across to Akaroa where I was heading.

You will see on that signpost that little river is only 16km back and Akaroa is only 12 km to get there a total of 28 km but I had spent over a hour to go around the hills and come back on the same road but it was so much fun.

Now into Akaroa and it is a lovely place and some of those photos will look back to the hills from where i came from via the goat track.

Last photo on way out is a monumeunt in honour of WW1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akaroa
Did not get time to ride to all the bays but these twisty hills are versys heaven and could not get the smile off my face but the only down side was ride back to home as I have to go on state highway 1 across canterbury plains which is one of the straighest most boring rides around, 1.5hrs of brain drain.:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roger told me why he traded the bike in with less than 4000km on it was because for one he dropped in because of height and the left ferring cost $300 to replace and spent a huge amount putting the inferior ninja rear shock on it to lower it, he did not know about lowering kits. He also told me after this that the rear slipped out on him a couple of times but my view was because when they lowered the rear they did not adjust front and had in correct rake angle that may of caused issues (have since lowered front myself). In our opinion the Dunedin shop that did the shock job ripped him off. Running into Roger that lives in a city of 350,000 plus and me 100 miles south was amazing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Great story and pictures. My gal and I want to do a bike (bicycle) trip there, but she needs to earn more vacation time (new job). We'll get there for sure...but maybe a moto trip instead!

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Very Very Nice....

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:thumb:

That scenery is strangely similar to where I am.
Sounds like your area would be good to ride to, the funny thing about my ride is that it is only 2 hrs away but have never rode the bike around there so really looking forward to a return trip with wifey and will travel to all the different bays I missed this time but as long as the road is sealed for her.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Great shots! You have shown some reasons why New Zealand is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Achingly beautiful INDEED!!!!!
Thanks for sharing Kiwi:thumb:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Damn, Phil! That's quite a scienery. Got me phased out of reality for a few minutes... According to weather forecasts, we have precious few sunny days left here in Moscow, and worn-out transmission discs of my bike (not to mention tires worn to the condition of slicks... plastic slicks, even) prevent me from catching any of them in the saddle this season... Oh, well. If all goes well, I'll be riding a brand new V soon enough... =)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great shots! You have shown some reasons why New Zealand is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.
There was a commercial run on NZ tv a few years ago (not that many years ago we only had 3 channels) "don't leave home until you have seen the country" making the point some kiwis travel overseas but have not seen the best of their own backyard. The biggest problem we have here at moment is if the two hobbit movies are going to be made here after actors union got involved and made Warner Bros nervous about filming movies here, its the top news story!!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally off topic, We can now make the hobbits movies here as long as we give Warners Bro's more tax breaks and in return all dvds will include promotional material filmed by Peter Jackson about NZ. Also as we speak laws are being changed in parliament to define what a employee is and what a contractor is to keep the multi national company's happy. Funny old world.

The next two avatar movies are being made here to.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'd [URL="
[/URL] to [URL="
[/URL] on over but [URL="
[/URL] be [URL="
[/URL] I might [URL="
[/URL] a [URL="
[/URL] on the road and I'd be stuck there [URL="
[/URL]. Now that wouldn't make me :) so keep posting pics before this thread gets hi-jacked, EH!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts