Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made a trip to the National War Museum on Tuesday. Aside from the expected German, Russian and Allied WW2 era tanks and armored vehicles they had a few motorcycles over in a corner. Apologies for the cheap cell phone picture quality.

WWII German Elephant

Attachments

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Harley WLC - most of these were manufactured by the Massey Ferguson tractor factory in Toronto during WWII as Harley did not have the necessary wartime production capacity

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
IF you ever get the chance to be allowed to view the "behind the scenes" stuff at the War Museum - TAKE IT!!!

I got back there around 1985 or '86 because I was w/ someone from Victoria who had 'drag'. ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY INCREDIBLE stuff that can't be displayed due limited space, plus paintings from war artists such as some of the "Group of Seven". It was GREAT!

:thanx:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They moved to a new expanded location on the river a few years back and built a huge building. I think most of that stuff is on display now. They have practically every Russian, German and Allied tank and vehicle from WWII plus some WWI vehicles and Russian and NATO cold war tanks and personal carriers. They even have a rare piloted version of the German V1 rocket (it was a one way trip for the pilot). You could easily take 6 hours to see all the displays that go back to French/English war for control of North America (7 years war 1749-1756). Makes you think about the incredible human cost, brutality and sometimes sheer tactical stupidly, given what we know now, of war.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Looks like a fascinating place to visit, and will probably become another bucket list item. It's in Ottawa, is it? Would sure appreciate an address.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Harley WLC - most of these were manufactured by the Massey Ferguson tractor factory in Toronto during WWII as Harley did not have the necessary wartime production capacity
Yes!!! I knew Harleys were manufactured by Massey Furgeson. That's why my daughter used to call them "Hardly Furgesons" when she was young. :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The late Jim McLean of London, Ontario restored one of those to unbelievably accurate condition. Jim's father rode one of them in the war. Jim researched and had all decals, markings etc replicated and restored it as an homage to his father. :clap:

Jim was quite the character, he had an elevator in the back of his garage that he'd put bikes on and lower into his basement where he restored bikes and displayed in the rec room! Too bad some asshat in a cage took him out while he was riding in Mexico. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts