Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this article on webBikeworld and decided to check mine out. Broken on both sides!! The only thing holding it together was the snap in plastic liner. All screw bosses were broken and screws were laying in the bottom of the chin bar. Even a light frontal impact would have resulted in the chin bar flying up providing ZERO protection. After taking it apart and seeing how cheesy the mechanism is I am tossing this thing in the trash. Glad I never had to "test" it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/hjc-sy-max-2-flip-up-failure/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's unsettling to say the least! I like the idea of a modular helmet but that just reinforces the idea that they might be prone to failure at that potentially weak area.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a bit hard to see what I'm looking at here. Is this a flip-up chin guard that has broken it's mountings?
Yes that's the latch inside the chin guard. There are better pics at the webbikeworld site. The bosses that the latch mounts too are very weak. Probably took less than three lbs of side force to snap them.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Good information. I have a Sy-Max II. Although I do not have any issues with the chin bar locking mechanism I will check it tonight. I've been looking to switch from a flip up to a full face just to reduce noise and weight things that although important are not crtical to go out and spend a few hunderd dollars in a new helmet. Safety however, is a whole different story.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Checked the helmet and everything looks ok. Nothing broken, no cracks, nothing. However, I can see the concern. A buddy of mine from work broke his jaw in five places in a motorcycle accident about a week ago. He was wearing a half helmet. If he was wearing full face he would have walked away of it with barely a scratch. That made ma start about the level of protection of my modular. My SyMax II is about hree years old so I can write it off and get myself a new lid. Something light and very quiet. Any recommendations?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts