Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have installed a Chery Bomb muffler READ THIS!!!

I bought the parts and installed one (NOT one of 08's kits...from parts I bought). I hung it with muffler strap. Apparently I did not have it secured well enough. A piece of the manifold broke off while riding today. It broke where the adapter attaches to the manifold. The red arrow in the picture shows where it broke. I guess I'm out until I can get my hands on another manifold. I would strongly recommend that you get a solid hanger welded on at a muffler shop. That should solve this issue. It broke after about 250 miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh man, that's gotta suck! And I'll bet a new manifold is pricey since they have the market cornered on it. Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best price I have found so far is $261 + gaskets and shipping...live and learn. I just hope I can save some one else a few bucks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Find a welder....save some cash.
I can't get the part that broke off out of the adapter and I don't know what the ID of the pipe is or how long it was. I think I'll just take the manifold and the muffler to a shop and fit it there. They've got to have a pipe that will fit and the length can't be that critical. It's got to be cheaper than a new one!

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Hooligan, let me know if you'd like to buy my new unused exhaust manifold. I replaced it and the muffler before I ever started the engine...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Did you install the Muzzy by chance?

·
Registered
365 Posts
try taking a cut- off wheel (grinder) and making a split in the adapter, enough so you can pry it open with a screwdriver, it should come right off, then have the piece reattatched.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
try taking a cut- off wheel (grinder) and making a split in the adapter, enough so you can pry it open with a screwdriver, it should come right off, then have the piece reattatched.
I'll give that a try...Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dude, that sucks.... I've got one of 08's kits in the mail.. now second guessing the install till this gets worked out.

I took a look at Two Brother's Versys exhaust install instructions on the web, and they have a bracket that attaches the front pipe clamp to the frame right where your pipe broke.... wonder how I might get my hands on one of those?

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Install_Inst/005-14204x_Inst.pdf

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dude, that sucks.... I've got one of 08's kits in the mail.. now second guessing the install till this gets worked out...
Install it, I wouldn't worry about it. The way I have you running the muffler strap, it goes through the factory mount and rubber isolator. It is a definitely a solid way to mount it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
abramsgunner...As 08 V says install it with the strap, Long term I would look at takeing it to a muffler shop and have them fab you a welded on bracket. These are the Risks we take when we mod our bikes..:thumb:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
abramsgunner...As 08 V says install it with the strap, Long term I would look at takeing it to a muffler shop and have them fab you a welded on bracket. These are the Risks we take when we mod our bikes..:thumb:
:thumb:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, she is back on the road...I cost me $20.00 at the muffler shop and about an hour and a half of time. That's not too bad.

I would like to stress the point that this was in NO WAY ment to scare any one away from 08's kits. This WAS NOT one of his kits. He does top notch work. I just thought people would want to have the info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts