Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My Versys has been doing this for the last few thousand of miles, since I put on Arrow slip on... I think...

When the engine is warm, engine will not start if I don't give it some gas... Normally, I just give it some throttle when I start the engine and it will be fine, it not, it will stall right away...

Engine start fine when it is cold, without giving throttle. Only doing this when the engine is warm.

Should I be worried???

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Your idle speed might be low. It should be set to 1300 rpm when engine is warmed up and not on fast idle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is a strange issue. Maybe the TPS (throttle position sensor) is set incorrectly?

My reasoning for that guess: It starts cold because the fast-idle circuit kicks in and adds throttle (fuel), but when it's warm the circuit doesn't add any -- or enough -- throttle. If the TPS reads higher than it actually is, then the engine is being fuel-starved during the warm start. But that is only a guess and maybe not a good one.

·
0 Posts
That is a strange issue. Maybe the TPS (throttle position sensor) is set incorrectly?

My reasoning for that guess: It starts cold because the fast-idle circuit kicks in and adds throttle (fuel), but when it's warm the circuit doesn't add any -- or enough -- throttle. If the TPS reads higher than it actually is, then the engine is being fuel-starved during the warm start. But that is only a guess and maybe not a good one.

I'd go along with that as a possible (although no circuit, just different ECU maps/injector duration) Normally around 80'ish degrees warm map kicks in (should say in manual) with less fuel in fact, hence weak running.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys...

The idling is a quite low from the factory... When warm, it idle at below 1000 rpm, around 800 rpm or so, I think.

Other than warm start stall problem, I don't have any problem with my bike. I just give it some gas when I warm start it... It runs great after that. If I don't give gas, it wouldn't start up...

Wondering if this will cause any problem in a long run? Planning to keep this wonderful bike for a long long long time...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
76 Posts
When a car or bike idles low, it can affect the charging system and the charge of the battery.

there should be a single screw or thumbknob at the carb to raise the idle to 1300.

·
Registered
76 Posts
PS-

i see you had a V Strom.

why did you get rid of it for a versys?

just asking because a friend of mine is torn between getting either a V or a VS?

·
Registered
582 Posts
+1 on what Invader said. Set your idle to 1300 when warm and your problem will be gone. 800 is too low.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you guys.

I will set idle up and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back after next ride.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Thanks guys...

The idling is a quite low from the factory... When warm, it idle at below 1000 rpm, around 800 rpm or so, I think.

Other than warm start stall problem, I don't have any problem with my bike. I just give it some gas when I warm start it... It runs great after that. If I don't give gas, it wouldn't start up...

Wondering if this will cause any problem in a long run? Planning to keep this wonderful bike for a long long long time...

Thanks guys!
That's what I thought... You also don't need to open throttle to start it if your idle speed is properly set at 1300 rpm @ normal operating temperature, as the throttle will already be opened more than with 800 rpm idle setting. The engine likely didn't suffer, as oil pressure didn't drop enough to turn on the low oil pressure warning light, and it was still reciprocating fast enough to sound smooth and normal.
ALWAYS have it set to recommended 1300 rpm. Better for the engine, easier starts, and chances of stalling out creating a dangerous situation are greatly reduced.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I thought... You also don't need to open throttle to start it if your idle speed is properly set at 1300 rpm @ normal operating temperature, as the throttle will already be opened more than with 800 rpm idle setting. The engine likely didn't suffer, as oil pressure didn't drop enough to turn on the low oil pressure warning light, and it was still reciprocating fast enough to sound smooth and normal.
ALWAYS have it set to recommended 1300 rpm. Better for the engine, easier starts, and chances of stalling out creating a dangerous situation are greatly reduced.
I kind of like the low idling sound... :)

Other than I need to give it some gas during warm start, it has never given me any problem like stalling while riding...

I will turn the idle up and see how it goes...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I turn up the idling to around 1200 RPM or so when the engine was warm and that fix the problem!!! Engine start right up!!! :)

Thanks you guys!!! You guys are the BEST!!!

I miss my low rumble... :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts