Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good deal on an 09 650. I've been wanting a naked street bike for awhile but at 6'4" the ones I've ridden aren't very comfortable. I love my current 09 650 but it's set up for touring and I don't really wanna mess with it. I've put 8,000+ miles on it this summer and plan to do the same next year. I want something I can ride around town and I'm also looking for a winter project.

I've been doing some digging here, other forums and just sifting pics on google. This is what I want to build.

Does anyone here have any info on this bike? I want to build pretty much this bike with a little different color scheme. I love the new CB650r bronze look and I think it would look great on this bike. Id want to bronze the valve cover, clutch cover, stator cover (maybe?), front forks and wheels.

I'm still doing some digging and I've found MOST of the parts I would want/need. The only thing really holding me up is the gas tank. I've never done any type of body work and don't want the faring attachments on the tank. Just from the work I've done on my bike it looks like I'd need to clean up the bottom edges of the tank as well. I'd really like it to look as close to a factory style production as possible.

The paint issues I'm trying to solve are the bronzing of accessories and that the bike I'm looking at has a silver frame. I feel like it'd probably be easier to hold out for a bike with a frame thats already black. But the bike I'm looking at is running (so the seller says) and he's willing to take $2,300 for it. Has about 25k on the clock. I haven't really seen any 650s that cheap so I kinda want to jump on it but having to paint the frame would add a lot of hours to the build.

I basically wanna make a V650 version of this bike:

Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i don't think a silver frame will do it for the direction you want to go with this bike. yank the bike apart, it's very easy work, half a day if you're motivated. use a sharpie to mark all the small attachment points on the frame that get removed, carefully cut them off and smooth. install new tapered roller bearings before painting, the OEM steering bearings are junk.

silver frame now hotrod black frame. spray the frame with urethane if you have that option, very durable paint.

the tank is easy to smooth, just carefully cut the brackets off, then body filler. do not tamper with the spot welds or try to bend a bracket off the tank, big problems if you break a spot weld.

consider using the EX650 swing arm, much more visually interesting than the Versys slab sided swingarm, and would go well with your concept. that steel swingarm is the strongest of all the ER6 swingarms, and uses a factory hugger.

beefy tires...170/60 rear, 130/80 front.

some nakid bikes in the forum basement here. any questions, just ask via PM..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found a good deal on an 09 650. I've been wanting a naked street bike for awhile but at 6'4" the ones I've ridden aren't very comfortable. I love my current 09 650 but it's set up for touring and I don't really wanna mess with it. I've put 8,000+ miles on it this summer and plan to do the same next year. I want something I can ride around town and I'm also looking for a winter project.

I've been doing some digging here, other forums and just sifting pics on google. This is what I want to build.

Does anyone here have any info on this bike? I want to build pretty much this bike with a little different color scheme. I love the new CB650r bronze look and I think it would look great on this bike. Id want to bronze the valve cover, clutch cover, stator cover (maybe?), front forks and wheels.

I'm still doing some digging and I've found MOST of the parts I would want/need. The only thing really holding me up is the gas tank. I've never done any type of body work and don't want the faring attachments on the tank. Just from the work I've done on my bike it looks like I'd need to clean up the bottom edges of the tank as well. I'd really like it to look as close to a factory style production as possible.

The paint issues I'm trying to solve are the bronzing of accessories and that the bike I'm looking at has a silver frame. I feel like it'd probably be easier to hold out for a bike with a frame thats already black. But the bike I'm looking at is running (so the seller says) and he's willing to take $2,300 for it. Has about 25k on the clock. I haven't really seen any 650s that cheap so I kinda want to jump on it but having to paint the frame would add a lot of hours to the build.

I basically wanna make a V650 version of this bike:

Thoughts/suggestions?
Ninja 650 gas tank will fit on versys frame, but it requires you to trim the crotch area of the factory seat. This is the route I went. You also need a the gas level float and fuel hose for the Ninja 650. You could use the old ones but it may kink the line and the factory float will clank around in the tank and give you inaccurate readings.

I previously tried using the original gas tank but it was just too bulbous. It gets in the way when you lean forward if you are using clip-on handlebars of any kind. My jacket zipper was grinding into the paint. To live with the original tank would require grinding the brackets for the fairing grommets and filling it with bondo before painting. And it still wouldn't look right because it has those ridges where the fairings would normally come flush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts