Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This may be a dumb question but...what, exactly, does it mean by Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio?
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (not Ratio). It's the manufacturer's designated maximum weight of the vehicle and everything aboard it at any given time. It is expressed in pounds or kilograms, depending upon where in the world your machine was sold.

Exceed that number and it's possible, though not a foregone conclusion, that something critical may fail, like a suspension component, the frame, tires, etc. It may not happen the first or second or twentieth time but there is a risk that some important component will become overstressed and eventually fail - often at a very bad moment for both machine and rider.

Does that answer the question?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (not Ratio). It's the manufacturer's designated maximum weight of the vehicle and everything aboard it at any given time. It is expressed in pounds or kilograms, depending upon where in the world your machine was sold.

Exceed that number and it's possible, though not a foregone conclusion, that something critical may fail, like a suspension component, the frame, tires, etc. It may not happen the first or second or twentieth time but there is a risk that some important component will become overstressed and eventually fail - often at a very bad moment for both machine and rider.

Does that answer the question?

That's what I was thinking it was. Just never heard it in that term! I also Googled the OP's question and couldn't find anything to provide an answer. All I could find was the weight of the actual motorcycle.

Thanks, Arion! :wink2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is suppose to be a placard just under the tank, on left side of bike between the front forks and tank area. have not had the opportunity to make it to SOKAW dealer to confirm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know what numbers on a sticker on the bike - too cold to go ut and check ;o)
But from my danish registration certificfate, these are the numbers: "ready to ride" wight: 175 kg, max total weitght: 355 kg.
So we have 180 kg to load up with - in Denmark.
Numbers should be uniform world-wide as they are based on factory specs - but I cannot guarantee how your country has approved the Vx.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The US non Ca. models says in one its warnings.
"Do not exceed the total payload limit of 180hg(397 lb.) including rider ,passenger ,baggage, and accessories."
And I think everyone knows the ABS one is 386 lb. and non is 381 lb.
So add them up!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The placard is on the clutch side between the tank and steering neck.
Probably need a bright lite and mirror to read it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Placard on steering neck reads ... US models

Front axle 265, rear axle 518 = total GVWR 783
Full tank of gas, 385 lbs.

Additional load 783 - 385 = 398 lbs , warning post above is 397 lbs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone this is exactly what I was after. I’m 6’3” tall and weigh 275 lean lol! . So by the time I add my self gear I’m at 300. Had bars ascessories luggage saddles and all camping and clothing and backpack with tech gear I’m looking at a tittle of about 500 bls. That’s a 100 lbs over GVWR.

·
Registered
73 Posts
IMO, riding dual/touring most bikes are overloaded.

Two airhead BMWs that I had the carry weight was around 440 lbs.
Suzuki VX800 was the same, 440 lbs.

Hard to see how you total 200 lbs for additional camping/tech gear.
If true, a heavier bike with a trailer might do it.

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts
...Hard to see how you total 200 lbs for additional camping/tech gear.
If true, a heavier bike with a trailer might do it.
Think PASSENGER plus camping gear for the 200#....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts