Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve travelled 3000 miles and I’ve gone thru two iPhone charging cords. I think the vibration is beating them up as I ride. One was a water resistant car charger style that came with the bike, the other was a cheapie (but $20!) I got at a gas station. What do you guys use or is this something to just keep extras?

·
Registered
983 Posts
The first thing I would do is get a bunch of zip ties to secure the cable to prevent flashing in the wind. Leave slack for pivot points. Don't leave excess at your mount location, just enough to plug in without strain on the cable.

The wires in those cables are TINY. Usually 4 wires plus a shield. Sometimes thicker outer casing works better, but sometimes the really thin cables last the longest since the don't pick up at much wind and doesn't have as much inertia bending the wires. You'll have to figure out which works best for you.

Either way, you likely aren't done buying cables. I suggest getting multi packs on Amazon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run a GoPro cable. It is a USB-C meant for charging the camera. I use it on an android phone.

It is robust enough with proper strain reliefs molded on the ends. The outer casing is thicker than the cheapie ones and it has the proper charging support.

I've been running it for almost 2 years wotk no issues. I do have a twist tie to manage the extra length/ slack.

May be more expensive, but I didn't want to be left out in the cold/ heat/ rain/etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I didn’t even know this was a thing 20 minutes ago. This seems like a solution to me:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts