Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Versys Year 1 : Summary Report

14 Months (a couple of which were spent in the garage waiting for my driveway’s glacial ice to melt :mad:)

24,000 Miles (almost all of which, spirited riding on back country roads) :yeahsmile:

7 Oil Changes :goodidea:

1 Valve Adjustment at 15,000 miles (2 Exhausts less than 0.01mm under min spec) :thumb:

2 Spark Plugs at 15,000 miles (I changed them because I had them out but the originals were very clean with a nice grey color and a .036” gap!) :thumb:

1 Fork Oil Change at 23,000 miles (and the oil was clean and dry (though I do wipe the fork tubes down daily and the bike has only seen several hours of rain)) :thumb:

4mm Total Chain Adjustment :thumb:

1 Stack-O-Tires (2 Dunlop D221’s + 5 Michelin PR2’s + 2 Metzeler Z6’s) :devil:

0 Problems :clap:

Countless Grins! :D

I LOVE THIS BIKE! :loveeyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Great report Hardware but can't believe you keep all your old tyres, you are building quite a heap. Mine is going in for its 24,000km valve check next week.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you say "spirited riding", do you mean bouncing off the rev limiter or just sweeping gracefully through the meat of the power band?

Richard

·
Registered
264 Posts
Even with "spirited riding", seems like a lot of rubber for 24,000 miles. Would appreciate insight.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great report, good information.
:thanx:
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are those the cortech sport bags, if so how do you like them on your versys ?
Yes, they are the Cortech Sport Bags.

I like them. They secure very well. I use both the included straps and the built-in bungee cords and even when jumping the bike they never move around.

I also like the size. The tailbag is a tad small but as such I can throw my leg over it and along with the saddlebags, it’s big enough for my daily routine. If I need to carry more gear I replace it with my larger tailbag.

I originally had them just leaning against the directional signals but that proved insufficient because the inner walls of the bags aren’t rigid enough... and so they started to buckle & sag inward. I made a set of light supports for them and now they’re fine.

One thing to note. Over time the color has changed somewhat. In some lighting they still appear jet black but in direct bright sunlight they appear sort of purplish black. My guess is that it’s from exposure to the sun (UV) — and I should be in a best-case environment in that it’s always garaged when I’m not riding it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great report Hardware but can't believe you keep all your old tyres, you are building quite a heap. Mine is going in for its 24,000km valve check next week.
Well, I didn’t actually plan on keeping them this long... I just haven’t gotten around to throwing them out. :eek:

You see, we have to take them to a vehicle shop so that they can be “properly” disposed of (we wouldn’t want to pollute the environment with rubber now would we?) and since I have to take my truck to do that... every time I get in my garage I look at the truck... and then I look at the bike... and the bike always seems to win the argument! :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you say "spirited riding", do you mean bouncing off the rev limiter or just sweeping gracefully through the meat of the power band?

Richard
I occasionally take it to redline just to stretch the con rods & keep the cylinder walls clean all the way up but I normally ride between 4 & 6 grand – going up to maybe 7 or 8 if I’m playing really hard.

By “spirited”, I don’t mean particularly hard acceleration or even high speeds, I’m speaking of cornering. I regularly run it around 70 or 80% of its (and my) capability in a corner if I have a reasonably good line-of-sight through it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts