Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Who can't pass people on their Versys-X? I always wonder what bikes you guys are riding or if mine is just the most powerful versys-x in existence. I'm 6'1" 220 and easily pass people from a starting point of 80mph...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Who can't pass people on their Versys-X? I always wonder what bikes you guys are riding or if mine is just the most powerful versys-x in existence. I'm 6'1" 220 and easily pass people from a starting point of 80mph...
The answer is everyone can pass a vehicle with their X-300 @ 80 mph. Lets just say a X-400 would definitely make passing at 80 much more proficient, you know, a little quicker.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess I get what you are saying. But I think then you could say a versys 650 would also pass a little quicker at 80 the smaller that gap becomes for kawasaki the less $9000 650's they sell and the more $6700 400's oh wait the 400 increased the price to be the same as the klr650? Why get a 300 when you could get a klr650? Why not pay $2000 more dollars for a V650. It's a delicate balance they play with between selling bikes and stealing sales from themselves. Profitability etc... There is much more to it. Guarantee not one bike builder out there is trying to build the budget bike we all dream about because they want to sell the bigger bikes. They want you to grow tired of the 300. They want you to want to trade in for the 650. The smaller that gap is not only did they sell you a cheaper bike to start with, they also didn't sell you a second more expensive bike because you had all your needs met. It's been this way for 60 years for a reason.

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi,
Well, I think that the KLR 650 is just a short term response to the need for an adventure motorcycle, in the USA.

It won't last long, as it does not comply with the emission rules in Europe, Japan, India, ....
this standards being based on "Euro 5" (2021). The KLR can only be sell in the USA.

I think that Kawa is trying to manage some unexpected delays in the development of a really
new adventure bike, to compete with the Ténéré 700. The "new" KLR is just here to fill the gap.

That's just my humble opinion... :rolleyes:

See you later
Emmanuel
As much as I don't like to hear it, you make some good points, Emmanuelle. The only thing I don't love about my X300 is overtaking. When I get tired of that I'll buy the CB500X and keep a naked road bike as well (XSR700 for now) unless someone makes a reliable circa 175kg adventure bike. Anyone know of any others (not made in China)?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The be fair the CB500X is pretty much exactly what you are describing and it sells really well. I guess to my earlier point honda doesn't really have the same game plan as Kawasaki their versys X-650 spectrum is pretty much entirely the CB500X which would get ate up by a 650 and runs past the 300. With Kawasakis choices though they have honda beat on price (300) and performance (650) just depends how much cash you have I guess. The Honda 700 isn't really in the same game and the next step is the africa twin which is kind of the world's largest dual sport more than an adventure touring bike.

Maybe you want a CB500X? I have no reason to but I just have a brand repulsion from owning a honda else I would have seriously considered it. My wife has a rebel 500 that motor is far more tamed than the 300 on my versys another 7 horsepower (at much lower rpm) and 50+ percent more torque probably would give you what you seek if you don't mind owning a honda.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would think that Honda CB500X is a very nice bike. in many ways better than V300. but still inferior to V650. the 650 has more power, has two front discs, and great engine. i already have the 300, but i think, the honda would be preferable. i met some people who complain about CB500X, but perhaps they have the older version.

As far as Rebel is concerned, I just hate that bike. Well, my friend had 300cc Rebel, so less power, but still all the ergonomics are just wrong. I would never get the Rebel. Initially, I liked it, but then I started to hate it. it is not a proper cruiser, it is not a sport bike, it is not an adventure bike; i have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I dislike the rebels ergos as well but it's my wife's bike and she absolutely loves the ergos. I agree it's a strange outlier. It's obviously targeted at women who don't really care about the performance or the genre my wife likes the looks and the seat height primarily. We took her female friend with us shopping for bikes she was going to buy one too but got pregnant instead, I tried to talk them into the vulcan S they hated the cruiser orientation of the pegs meanwhile the rebel has this strange peg placement somewhere between a standard and a cruiser that makes no sense to me, low narrow bars awkwardly placed, wide awkward engine cases that touch your legs while you ride the whole bike is confusing but women love them.

The only other bike she would consider was the W800 cafe which was somehow even more confusing and costs more so we got the rebel.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I sold a few months ago Vulcan S because it was a bit hurting my back. it is a great bike, and even though it has the same engine as the Versys, it feels like it has more grunt, has better sound, is more torquier. the issue of having the front pegs too much forward can be remedied to some extend by fitting a shorter front gear shifter rods, and fitting short reach handlebars, plus better gel seat. all these things are part of kawa accessories.
pp.jpeg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts