Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my limited experience with this great little bike the Versys X 300 is almost a perfect bike. Relative to other adventure bikes (some much more expensive) it has great suspension, clearance & brakes, fantastic display & great ergonomics (both seated and standing, and no bar risers needed), insane mileage, great build quality and extras like rear rack and spoke wheels. It's super light and maneuver able. Its just joy to ride and great value.

As far as I can see it has just one shortcoming. No, not the stiff seat or even short low gears; these are easily fixed. It is power/torque....not a lot, just a little bit more. While it's amazing what Kawasaki have squeezed out of that little 296cc, overtaking is not something you do without much care and patience on the X 300; and then you still do it with your heart in your mouth sometimes.

By all accounts the Z400 & Ninja 400 have solved this problem with good power to overtake and torque throughout the rev range. And they're lighter than their 300cc predecessors. In my opinion a 175kg adventure bike with the grunt of the Z400 would be a game changer. Not only would it outsell the CB500X and VStrom 650, but a lot of other heavier commuter bikes.

I know I'm not the first to say this. Many of you have been waiting patiently for Kawasaki to announce this. So, here's my question. Does Kawasaki read this forum?

·
Registered
133 Posts
In my limited experience with this great little bike the Versys X 300 is almost a perfect bike. Relative to other adventure bikes (some much more expensive) it has great suspension, clearance & brakes, fantastic display & great ergonomics (both seated and standing, and no bar risers needed), insane mileage, great build quality and extras like rear rack and spoke wheels. It's super light and maneuver able. Its just joy to ride and great value.

As far as I can see it has just one shortcoming. No, not the stiff seat or even short low gears; these are easily fixed. It is power/torque....not a lot, just a little bit more. While it's amazing what Kawasaki have squeezed out of that little 296cc, overtaking is not something you do without much care and patience on the X 300; and then you still do it with your heart in your mouth sometimes.

By all accounts the Z400 & Ninja 400 have solved this problem with good power to overtake and torque throughout the rev range. And they're lighter than their 300cc predecessors. In my opinion a 175kg adventure bike with the grunt of the Z400 would be a game changer. Not only would it outsell the CB500X and VStrom 650, but a lot of other heavier commuter bikes.

I know I'm not the first to say this. Many of you have been waiting patiently for Kawasaki to announce this. So, here's my question. Does Kawasaki read this forum?
Bought a Z 400 new in '19. Have 18.5k on the clock. I think it's just a little lighter than the X. A little tweaking it's over 50hp. I think that an X 400 would be an excellent platform. The Z 400 is like a Miata

·
Registered
150 Posts
The problem is that if they do announce an x 400, the resale value of the x 300 would plummet
I agree that the resale value of the 300's would drop like a rock if they came out with a 400 X, but thats not Kawasaki's problem, it would be ours.

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that if they do announce an x 400, the resale value of the x 300 would plummet
Good point, and not-so-good for you and me. Can't see why that would worry Kawasaki, though. I don't think iPhones(Apples) worried that they were going to affect Nokia prices. That's progress.
C'mon Kawasaki....We want the bike, you want the $$. Let's do it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
This has been dealt with in previous discussions, the existing X300 frame won't accommodate the 400 engine, unfortunately.

It's a bummer as apart from the added power the 400 would provide it is apparently a lighter engine.

The danger is Kawasaki, seeing the success of Dakar styled adventure bikes (Tenere 700), are more likely to make something more capable but also more expensive.

The mainstream Jap manufacturers are focusing on getting us to buy more expensive bikes, whilst Chinese/Indian secondary brands (RE, Zontes, Benelli etc) fulfill the lower priced sectors.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
if you are not happy with the power delivery, getting 650 is a better option. This what I did, even though I ride my friend's 300 rather often. Well, the 300 is more oriented towards going 'off-road', or bad roads, but if one is just riding on the tarmac, 300 does not make sense. It makes sense only for people who like to go on some mild dirt tracks. But still, I think the bike is good as it is. 400cc, 500cc, is all good, but lower displacement bikes have their charm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The mission capabilities of an X-400 and the newly updated KLR 650 would overlap enough that cannibalizing their own sales a concern which I think is keeping X-400 off the development table for the time being. After a few years of new KLR sales maybe they will surprise us. Remember Kawi also LOVES to develop something once, and use it for way longer than they should (see original KLR, Ninja 650 motor in 4 bikes now...). So the development attitude at Kawi HQ is another factor to consider

Reactions: EZDuzIt

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in for a 400 or 450 myself BUT: it can't be taller, it should be a little lighter. Let's face it, the V300 is no lightweight considering its displacement. I tried to get a CB500x but not available in Calif yet, so went V-300. Am not sorry one bit! Don't agree with above poster about 300 not "making sense" - that's my decision! For surface street commute, groceries, twisty stuff when I have time the V300 is perfect thus far. I got mounts so I can switch my saddlebags & trunk from my Moto Guzzi Carbon Dark onto the V300, and man can the V haul groceries. I don't mind revving the motor to get power, the V300 is a monster in traffic circles and excellent for threading up a line of cars to get in front. THAT'S when I wish I had the 400 - when that light turns green! Just as well, if they did make a 400, I'd need to be 5'9" or better to get a foot on the damn ground. No, the 300 is fine for an awful lot of people, we can wish for that 400 and in every survey Kaw sends me I tell 'em exactly that!

·
Registered
2017 Versys X300
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in for a 400 or 450 myself BUT: it can't be taller, it should be a little lighter. Let's face it, the V300 is no lightweight considering its displacement. I tried to get a CB500x but not available in Calif yet, so went V-300. Am not sorry one bit! Don't agree with above poster about 300 not "making sense" - that's my decision! For surface street commute, groceries, twisty stuff when I have time the V300 is perfect thus far. I got mounts so I can switch my saddlebags & trunk from my Moto Guzzi Carbon Dark onto the V300, and man can the V haul groceries. I don't mind revving the motor to get power, the V300 is a monster in traffic circles and excellent for threading up a line of cars to get in front. THAT'S when I wish I had the 400 - when that light turns green! Just as well, if they did make a 400, I'd need to be 5'9" or better to get a foot on the damn ground. No, the 300 is fine for an awful lot of people, we can wish for that 400 and in every survey Kaw sends me I tell 'em exactly that!
Yep, absolutely! A Versys x400 would not only halt CB500X sales, but a bunch of other bikes also. As good as the Z400 is, it's not a Versys. I will eventually sell my Versys X300 and buy a CB500X (20kgs heavier) But I'm sure I'll miss the weight, range and ergonomics of the x300... If they make a X400, I'll sell both bikes and buy one tomorrow. Manufacturers start with a price point and build a bike around that. Kawasaki needs to realise this is NOT just a beginner's bike. There's a bunch of us old guys who want versatility in a light weight package. And we're happy to pay more for it!

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
26 Posts
Hi,
You should also consider that Kawasaki is a global company : they also sell motorcycles in Asia and Europe.
Europe market is almost 60% bigger than US market (and much smaller than Asia market).
And the X300 is a complete failure in Europe... They gave up after two years !
It's a very negative signal to Kawasaki. I don't think they will work on a X400.

They don't "love" to re-use old engines, like the ER-6/Z650 or Yamaha CP2.
They just can't afford to create a brand new engine every 5 years, like they did in the 80's or 90's.
Because, today, it's terribly expensive to comply with Euro 5, India BS-VI, ... rules
From this point of view, the W800 is really an exception.

See you later :)
Emmanuel

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm thinking that we will probably never see an X-400. I also think that this is Kawasaki's answer to a larger adventure bike, the new 2022 KLR650, simply because it has such a large global fan base.

·
Registered
688 Posts
if one wants a bigger bike, one should get it. the V300 is not too powerful, but it is a nice bike for all kind of purposes. If one has the $, I would suggest V650, as it is a much better bike. But the 300 is better for riding on bad roads, etc... I have V1000, 650, and 300, so I have some knowledge as far as the difference between these bikes is concerned. All I can say is that I would not buy another 300 ever again. It is not because it is a bad bike, but because it is very inferior to 650, and this bike kind of does not make any sense, other than the fact that you can take it on not so good roads. this is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if one wants a bigger bike, one should get it. the V300 is not too powerful, but it is a nice bike for all kind of purposes. If one has the $, I would suggest V650, as it is a much better bike. But the 300 is better for riding on bad roads, etc... I have V1000, 650, and 300, so I have some knowledge as far as the difference between these bikes is concerned. All I can say is that I would not buy another 300 ever again. It is not because it is a bad bike, but because it is very inferior to 650, and this bike kind of does not make any sense, other than the fact that you can take it on not so good roads. this is my 2 cents.
Valid points, and congrats on the collection of V's by the way, but for those of us with 29" or less inseams, the 300 is rideable only 'cuz we can get the ball of our foot on the ground. I don't know about off-roading this bike when I can't fully flat-foot it, I'd be OK with fairly smooth fire roads, but if it got too soft/sandy, forget it. But when it comes to the 98% asphalt riding I do, it's a real friendly companion for commutes/errands or just head-clearing. Lowering link? I'm not paying for suspension I'm never going to be able to use, extra 350cc or not. Besides, don't need the weight. I can take 50 pounds off my bike anytime I wish by taking it off my waist! LOL. Pont is, not everyone is a freak of nature with legs as tall as ancient redwoods and for us, thank good ness for the V-300. Besides; I remember my 1st street bike was an RD400 Yamaha and I literally toured that thing all over California with a set of Saddleman soft saddlebags; on a good day it was around 55horsepower if you got it up above 7Krpm, the 300 isn't close to that, but it's good enough if you can stand the tach hovering around 9K. Far better than any 300cc bike from the old days. Inseam issues is why I never pulled the trigger on a KLR650 or DRZ400/650. Would love to, but I don't got the leg. Not willing to wear boots with 4" heels.

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
26 Posts
I also think that this is Kawasaki's answer to a larger adventure bike, the new 2022 KLR650, simply because it has such a large global fan base.
Hi,
Well, I think that the KLR 650 is just a short term response to the need for an adventure motorcycle, in the USA.

It won't last long, as it does not comply with the emission rules in Europe, Japan, India, ....
this standards being based on "Euro 5" (2021). The KLR can only be sell in the USA.

I think that Kawa is trying to manage some unexpected delays in the development of a really
new adventure bike, to compete with the Ténéré 700. The "new" KLR is just here to fill the gap.

That's just my humble opinion... :rolleyes:

See you later
Emmanuel

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi,
Well, I think that the KLR 650 is just a short term response to the need for an adventure motorcycle, in the USA.

It won't last long, as it does not comply with the emission rules in Europe, Japan, India, ....
this standards being based on "Euro 5" (2021). The KLR can only be sell in the USA.

I think that Kawa is trying to manage some unexpected delays in the development of a really
new adventure bike, to compete with the Ténéré 700. The "new" KLR is just here to fill the gap.

That's just my humble opinion... :rolleyes:

See you later
Emmanuel
They did the very minimal to update the KLR. But, the whole reason and just about the only new updates done to the 2022 KLR was to update the KLR to meet Euro 5 emission requirements. Thats based on everything that I've read about it, and I've done a lot of reading on it because I'm interested in one. I cant speak to Japan or India's requirements, but it would seem to me that since Kawasaki is a Japanese based company, and the new KLR meets Euro 5 emission standards, it would most likely meet their requirements too.
A link to one of the recent articles that I just read yesterday: Opinion: Sticking To Basics Is Bold Move For New Kawasaki KLR650

·
Registered
688 Posts
i think that if one plans to buy a new bike, this is about time. with Euro 6 and 7 emissions coming, all the bike will ride like shit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts