Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it as a commuter to replace a 2001 Rebel. Denver area is a great place to ride a bike. I ended up here looking for info re changing the stock gearing. 9000 RPM's at 75mph! On a slightly different note, the owner's manual says don't exceed 4000 rpm's for something like 500miles!? In 6th gear, that's 33 mph. The engine is not even smooth under 4000 rpms. I am going to search for practical break-in procedures next.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Bought it as a commuter to replace a 2001 Rebel. Denver area is a great place to ride a bike. I ended up here looking for info re changing the stock gearing. 9000 RPM's at 75mph! On a slightly different note, the owner's manual says don't exceed 4000 rpm's for something like 500miles!? In 6th gear, that's 33 mph. The engine is not even smooth under 4000 rpms. I am going to search for practical break-in procedures next.

Yep they pretty much say 4000 RPMs whether it is a 250cc or a 2000cc bike. Makes no sense. Do some brake in drills and call it a day.

I would look at the torque curve before you decide to change the gearing. You get the RPMs too low and you won't have enough power to push through the wind.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dont worry about that 4000rpm break in limit its a liability move by manufacturers.

Interesting test by Motorcyclist LINK

Reactions: onewizard

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I broke in all THREE of my V650s by this method, on the ride home from the dealer, then changed the oil/ filter:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:welcome: aboard!

I broke in all THREE of my V650s by this method, on the ride home from the dealer, then changed the oil/ filter:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
link removed b/c i only have 1 post

I read this yesterday! Good to hear some confirmation. It made perfect sense to me. Except for the oil change, that is basically what I did. I took it out and rode it not too hard. Next thing I am going to do is change the oil :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts