Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When purchasing Trax aluminum luggage for my Versys, I was frustrated that I couldn't find pictures of that brand of luggage on the bike. I've posted pictures in the photo gallery for anyone interested seeing how this luggage looks on the bike.

So far, I've loved the Trax luggage. The bike also has SW Motech quick removal brackets for the mounts. The brackets take maybe 30 seconds each to put on and take off of the bike, so I don't have the unsightly brackets on there when I don't want to ride with the side bags. This luggage will carry an amazing amount of gear. I know a lot of people hate the look of aluminum luggage, but you can carry a tremendous amount of stuff with it.

I've always wanted a BMW R1200 GS, but just couldn't bring myself to write a check for $18+ grand, so I decided a Versys equipped like a GS would be a good alternative. I've put around 4,000 miles on the bike and so far have no regrets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those look great. Definitely has the rugged "GS" look. I think I like the beveled corners more than the usual square look.

What size are those side cases?

-Alan

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't have the bike yet but I am already planning my accessories. I love those Trax bags. I echo the question on their size. What size are those side cases? And with no exhaust pipe to clear I assume they are both the same size. Is that right?

I read on another thread that the quick release for these bags was also a security problem. The other guy said the bags could be taken from the bike with only a screw driver. What is your opinion on the quick release?

I think I'm going to mount them without the quick release and use a liner bag when I want to carry my stuff.

The motorcycle show is about a month away in Minneapolis. I'm hoping to get my bike then.

Regards,
Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replys to questions...

The side cases are 37 liter each and, yes, they are the same size on both sides.

The point about the security risk is well taken. Fortunately, they sell locks for the quick release brackets which you should be able to see in some of the photos (they're the round black objects a couple of inches in diameter.) You'll have to check the twisted throttle web site, but I believe I paid around $30 for the pair of locks (one for each side bracket.) If you order Trax luggage, you also need to specify the locks for the boxes themselves. I didn't order those initially and there is no other way to lock the boxes. Fortunately those were dirt cheap...something like $10 total for all of the locks needed (I believe there were 6) and mulitple keys.

I have no idea what the boxes and mounts are going for today, but when I originally priced them from Twisted Throttle back in April, 2008, below were the prices they quoted (as you can see, I've been very slow to post these pictures.) Note prices do not include the locks discussed above:

With natural aluminum, here's the break-down Twisted Throttle sent me from several months ago. I believe the all black boxes were minimally more expensive:

Left and right 37-liter Alu-Boxes - $550.00
Top box - $299.99
Topcase adapter plate - $35.00
Toprack - $149.99
Sidecase adapter kit - $20.00
Sideracks - $229.99

Shipping to 66207 via UPS Ground - $33.62

Total: $1,318.59

The prices for the Givi boxes with the SW Motech brackets was very similar. Seems like it was within a range of plus or minus $50. The options were powder coated black or natural aluminum. I went with the aluminum with the black powder coated lids.

Other aluminum boxes I priced were significantly more expensive and, personally, I didn't feel the others looked as good as the Trax.

The great thing about the Versys is that you're starting with such a reasonably priced bike, by the time you add things like luggage, a custom seat, GPS, etc. you've still got a reasonably priced bike.

In addition to the luggage and seat I've added a Garmin 450 GPS, larger wind screen (for winter only...frankly, I love the stock windscreen in the Summer...one of the best designed windscreens I've ever had on a bike) and Galfer braided brake lines. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't have ordered the brake lines and instead gone with handguards. I don't notice much difference in the braking, and I'm unhappy with the fit of the front brake line, which came out appearing much too long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you gotten to ride two up with the luggage? I am interested to hear if they interfere with the passenger in any way.

Thanks,
Wardo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding your question about two up riding, my wife has ridden on it a few times with me. While we've never ridden more than about 50 miles without a stop, she seemed to prefer having the luggage on better than she did having the luggage off. Having the rear box makes her feel more secure, and she even seems to prefer it with the side luggage on (another place to place her hands.)

It does make for her getting on the bike a little trickier. Her only complaint was with the factory seat. She's not ridden it since I've added the Corbin, but I'm sure she'll like that much better, as I have a Corbin on my Triumph Sprint that she considers comfortable.

My wife isn't a big riding enthusiast, which has it's pluses and minuses for me. On one hand, I prefer riding without a passenger. On the other hand she's less supportive of my motorcycle habit some of my friend's wives who really enjoy riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks,
That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. These price out very close to the Givi's, while offering more durability. I do like the way the Givi's look, but I prefer the top load design like my old GSA 1150 had. Plus they should survive a lowside better if such a thing were to happen. The picture looks like you'd have to be leaned way over and compressing the suspension a lot before they made contact, any feedback on this point?

Thanks,
Ward

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the suspension issue is probably an optical illusion in the picture. They are pretty light weight and i don't believe I had anything in them when the photo was shot. It was probably just the angle of the camera. I went on a camping trip in Arkansas last fall and had them loaded with gear and I didn't notice a significant difference in handling, and even my gas mileage wasn't affected much (that part did surprise me just from an aeordynamic standpoint if nothing else.) In fact, when I bought them the thought was that I wouldn't ride much with the side luggage on the bike except when touring, but I find they affect the handling and the gas mileage so little that I just keep the side luggage on most of the time. I've not ridden two up with the luggage packed full. I do suspect that could tax the suspension, as they do hold a lot of gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts