Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike makes loud clicking noise and dash board lights flicker ? Replaced battery and still will not start ?

thanks for any help Cb

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
I am going to go out a limb, the starter uses frame ground, your instruments are acting up while trying to start, check the frame ground for tthe battery, which is under the fuel tank . Look at 17-16 of the manual, second drawing item 4, negative ground cable. I suspect it is loose, it is bolted not sure to what, starter uses the engine casting for the negative connection (providing your battery is fully charged), this is the most likely problem.

A quick way to prove it would be to take a booster cable, connect to your negative terminal and also to the rear frame ground by the ECU.Try starting it if this works you may need to remove the gas tank to get at the connection.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Good call, onewizard... Also make sure your new battery's top of posts are free of any oxydation or stuff, same for underneath your battery connectors, then make sure they are tight.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Well I took my own advice, this is my 5th season for my bike, soooooo
I finally found the negative cable ground, I am going to say it is moderately easy to get at with the right tools.

Looking at the clutch side ( right side), in fact look directly at the clutch lever, look past and you will see the starter, look 3 inches left of the starter and you will see about a 8 gauge black cable bolted to the casting.

Best to remove the trim directly above the clutch, ( one allen head cap screw to remove), you will also need a 10mm long arm or professional box / open end wrench, pair of needle nose pliers. I was surprised to find the casting mating surface was white where the lug was attached, I don't know of any oxide inhibitor that leaves this , so I assume it was oxidized, I scotch brited the surface and put my copper coat inhibitor on it, reattached the negative ground cable and tightened.

If you do alot of riding in the rain or have the bike stored outside, I would look at this connection.

:topsecret:

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had this same problem a couple months ago. I bought a battery tender (pretty inexpensive) and made sure the new battery was fully charged, then I added WD40 to the battery connections (after cleaning them). It's been working ever since. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Yeah it's predictable your lard azz, no versys owning food cort eating brag about martial arts superblackbelt ride with hd boy cake recipe excuse of a man would chime in now.what do you weigh now 400 lbs.? Are you going to cut my eyes with a tiny knife why didn't you help with all my questions azzhole? Now you want to be all sarcastic and answer now? Like I said....PREDICTABLE
Well if you want help, click on Versys forum, as a example click general discussion, directly above you will see a little box with the word "new' in white and "thread" in green, click on that and have fun, ----------you can also click on edit of any of your posts and delete what you may think is inappropriate.
:goodluck:

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Yeah it's predictable your lard azz, no versys owning food cort eating brag about martial arts superblackbelt ride with hd boy cake recipe excuse of a man would chime in now.what do you weigh now 400 lbs.? Are you going to cut my eyes with a tiny knife why didn't you help with all my questions azzhole? Now you want to be all sarcastic and answer now? Like I said....PREDICTABLE

:interesting: ROLL TIDE MOTHER ****ER

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Really gordo? Just because you have to do drugs to look at your girlfriend don't mean anybody else takes them. That's your comeback badazz? Everything I've said is quoted from your useless post,now you make shyt up? PRIDICTABLE FATBOY BULLSHYT.WHAT CAN YOU FIND TO FIT THAT GODDDDDDAMNNN HEAD OF YOURS FOR A HELMENT You still haven't answerd anything I said Predictable of fat asz mommy boy spoilled homosexual
Is that the best ya got!!!!! Don't waste my time. You pathetic waste of skin. You'll never get another response from me. :goodluck:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Who the hell was the nut job? Cmoreride? I guess you got him good, weljoe2001... He still holds a grudge, it seems.

Does the Versys start yet?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts