Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching new bikes for a long time now and apart from being occasionally distracted by bikes with more power than I need, I had pretty much settled on the Versys some time ago. This morning I finally had the opportunity to test ride one, but before I did I took a BMW F800R for a ride and I have to say the Versys is a way better bike.

Although the F800R was infinitely better than the Suzuki GSF250v I have been riding, there were several things that really stood out as soon as I rode it:

1. The throttle was very snatchy at low revs. I know this can be a trait of fuel injected bikes but I was surprised at how bad it was on the BMW.
2. The engine ran quite rough. Again I was expecting this coming from a 4 cylinder but I didn't think it would be that bad.
3. The grips weren't wide enough. Maybe I have freakishly shaped hands, but they kept on pressing against the edge of the bar ends which was very annoying
4. The numbers on the analogue speedo were too small and hard to read.
5. It sounded like a wet fart - seriously, that has to be the worst exhaust tone from any vehicle I have heard.

Heading to the Kawasaki dealer I was a little concerned about what the cheaper Versys would be like, however once I was on one and moving that all changed. The throttle response was super smooth compared to the BMW, the engine had a nice lumpy-ness to it without sounding like it was going to stall, the riding position was way more comfortable, the large digital speedo could be read at a glance, and the exhaust gave a nice raspy burble that I could happily listen to for a long time.

Needles to say, after a bit of negotiating I paid my deposit and will be picking up my new 2010 Versys early next week!!!! And the best part is I paid about $3000 (AUD) less for a new Versys than I would have paid for the used F800R.

T.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cool choice, i'm surprised by your bad review of the bmw since they have such a good reputation.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm glad you think the V is better. I didn't look at the BMW for fear I would want it, and I really couldn't afford one.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I would not say my old dearly departed 2002 650 GS was like that, it was just getting tired with 120,000km on it

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know what you mean about discovering other bikes with more power than I need. A week after I bought the V, I discovered the 2010 Kawasaki Z1000. Too late for me to buy one now but, WOW!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Good to hear reports like yours. And we may be a little biased here, I think most of us agree, the Versys is about the best damned deal going. A really good bang for your buck bike!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would like to own a BMW but honestly, I'm not in a position to spend that kind money for a bike. I got a smoking deal on my 09 Versys and so far I'm very pleased with the bike. I'm happy with the Versys and no longer have any interest in a BMW.

·
Registered
136 Posts
:welcome: to the club TBass!

The club where we have all figured out the Versys is the best bang for buck.

If you think the test ride was a pleasure, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Wait until you get some saddle time and become more comfortable with the bike.

Then you will appreciate it even more.

David

·
Registered
288 Posts
may not be the fastest not sure how it will hold up in the winter but this this 2010 v is seriously good. thought i would miss the 600 thundercat but no I dont

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same experience as you, for months I thought about buying the GS800F or the GS650F, until I took one for a test ride!
It felt too top heavy, cumbersome, the gear box very noisy and I found it hard to get used to the controls (turn signals!), I was greatly disappointed!
By chance I came across an article about the V, took one for a test ride, and 10 miles later ordered one, which I am very happy with!
I think BMW's are there not for quality as much as for the branding!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was quite a wierd experience because I had just assumed that the automotive excelence you find in BMW cars would carry over to their bikes. It was like biting into a perfect looking apple to find it rotten on the inside.

I'm sure I will be more than happy with my V and I can't wait to start racking up the km's!!!

T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts