Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys versus Mutilstrada

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  VerstehenZee 
#1 ·
Hiya all, yes, I know yet another "which bike should I buy' thread and this is like saying should I get the Malibu or the Alfa but I'm thinking the $9999. for the 07 leftover Ducati would bit thrill me more than a new 09 V for 4700. And that's after not really riding mch in 25+ years even though I've had 8=9 bikes in the past 12 of those(and a KLX400 now).

I even toyed with the idea of a clean 9k mile R1000/7 from 1978 at alocal stealer here to get back in the saddle under the old familiar. But I think new is a no brainer and the V seems like a good stepping stone at least.

Thoughts? I used to race all types of dirt and even went to AMI in the Ford era...

#3 ·
Yeah, but you'll get a LOT of really neat side benefits, like:

1. People think you're rich, even if you still wear jeans and a flannel shirt.
2. Vacuous girls with large breasts will swarm you, even if you have bad breath.
3. You're probably pretty much stuck with a red bike.
4. Those wonderful finished welds on the frame and hand fitted parts.
6. You can hang out on the Ducati forums and be known as a DUCATISTA!
5. Best of all, you'll have a really cool bike, in spite of all of the above.

It's sad enough I have to ride a V in jeans and flannels and have bad breath, but I DO have a great bike and lots of fun. I also really wanted a Porsche years ago, but all I had was VW's and a lot of cheap thrills.

Go with your heart, you cannot lose.

V-Zee

#5 ·
I disagree about the coolness of the V versus the Duc. About two weeks ago I was running some errands in the bike when I came across two very young and good looking girls riding on small displacement sport bikes. I think one was a Ninja 500 and the other was a GS 500 F. Not that I was paying much attention to what the girls were riding. I pass them on a red light and went my way to a store to pick up something. On my way out I found the two girls waiting outside (yes they followed me) by my versys. They say hi and start asking questions about the bike. I was all feeling pretty good when I realized I must have been delusional for thinking they were interested in me. This proves the point the Versys does not need a fancy nameplate to be a a cool bike.

In the end the girls ran away as soon as they realized the rider of the cool bike was old enough to be their father.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. The Duck for all the above reasons, and it's a 1100, not sure they made a 620 Multi.

I'm about the same distance from either dealer too so it's the same schlepp for repairs etc.

Conversely, te only Duck I ever rode was 30+ yrs ago...and dealers are not too fond of test rides. I always thought to eliminate joy riding tire kickers, charge a fee for a test ride before they make a deposit for a sale. I often wanted to do that on a vette or some exotic to see if I fit the thing before committing-kinda like a 3rd date...that way if I walk away, the seller has $20-50 in his pocket for the 5 miles on the odometer. Maybe I should ask BHO if I could become the used vehicle czar..!

#10 ·
And there' scads of 09's around for 4999. I DID see one for 4700. a couple days ago but it's gone-best deal out there no doubt.

I've read a couple comparos on the Trump v. Multi and it's a close race with the Trump being mor relaxed-maybe what I need in my middle ages...

#11 ·
Go over to the Ducati.ms forum and ask the same question....

I own both. If you can afford the Duc, buy one. Your question is kind of like "Should I buy a Mustang, or should I buy a Ferrari?" An 1100 Duc is all torque and isn't particularly revvy. You'll probably wind up with tickets, though. You'll be cruising along and then look down and realize you're doing 95 when you thought you were doing about 70. You will never want for power.

#12 ·
The Streetfighter has to be a real animal. What? 155 HP at the wheel? Multistrada is probably no slouch either. Middle age bikes, hmm.....probably not, even if you're an ex-racer.

Girls??? If you're middle age, you'll probably need Ricardo Montalban looks to go with the Ducati in order to get the young girls, anyway.

V-Zee

#19 ·
I'm not middle aged. I'm 67. :D

They didn't have anything like this when I was young. If they did, I probably wouldn't have made it to the present. It's a handful, and isn't really fun around town. That's where the Versys comes in handy.

It's fairly light, around 370 lbs.

Attachments

#13 ·
Mantalban? I feel about as alive these days although he's a bit stiffer.

Yeah, Stang or vette, or perhaps base vette v. 456 Ferrari. Versysis the logical mr Spock choice and the Duke would satisfy the itch in me better although may be more than I need. If they' only offer test rides.

#14 ·
If you are going Duc, get a Hyper-Motard 1100. Let me say this though, it comes with a reputation that you need to ride it like you stole it. Or everyone will be laughing at you, like a new kid on a liter bike at the track stopping in the turns.

A few months ago I had $12k in cash to buy a new bike. I looked at everything, From Aprilia's to Yamahas. I went back to one of the funniest bikes I have ever owned, another Versys. And let me tell you when I am in AR grinding the peg feelers off in the turns, you cant wipe the grin off my face. And all this for around $5k. I could not be happier, and I have owned everything from a Ninja 250 to a Goldwing, with several late model Liter sport bikes in the mix.

But as someone else stated follow your heart, that way you will always be happy.

Good luck, and even if you dont go Versys come back and show us the new bike.

Todd

#16 ·
QUICK REMINDER !!!!!!

The 'Ducati'/ 'Aprilia'/ 'BMW' choice will be a whole heck of a lot more costly to operate; be it parts, labor, or accessories. (check the maintenance schedules too).
But if that's not an issue.........FOLLOW YOUR HEART!:goodluck:

I did.....Love my "V" ! :loveeyes:

Be well.
ride safe.
Peace.

#17 ·
seems like you meet the nicest people on a versys.

The left brain could be the vistor here and pocket the other 4-5k, or a nice old Gibson jazz guitar as well. I remember when I was a kid in the 60s, my dad gave my mom a choice-a Cadillac only or a Tbird ragtop + a boat-she tooh the tbird and that was the 1st car I ever drove(on their laps albeit).

Anyone ever sell a versys? Should be fairly easy if I decide to jump up to the duck.

#21 ·
#20 ·
I've ridden a buddy's Multistrada quite a bit and absolutely love it. The bike is darn near perfect in every aspect for me but I ride too much to be able to afford the maintenance needed.

As said earlier, if you can afford the initial cost and scheduled maintenance......I'd go for it.
Me personally I'd rather have several low maintenance bikes that fit's my needs on how I feel for the day.

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted on your outcome.

BTW: The Versys in my book is the best bike going when it come to value......wonderful motorcycle for the $$$.

Dan

#27 · (Edited)
As a current Multistrada 620 rider, I can tell you that the Versys is basically a Japanese Multistrada. The Duc is a sweet little bike on everything but long distance highway rides. Comparing the Multi 1100 to a Versys isn't fair. In order to be fair you need to look at the multi 620. They are cheap to get into, and Ducati ownership doesn't come any cheaper than this bike. Yeah, you have the 6K valve checks, and the belts, but other than that, it's pretty comparable to the Versys. My previous bike was a Honda 750, and the Multi feels more powerful than the Honda, so before anyone slams the size of the Duc's motor, do a favor and take a test ride. The Multi is also an air cooled motor, which might be a good or bad thing depending on where you live and where you ride. Other than parts that are more expensive, they are quite close. In fact, there was a comparison between the Versys, Multi 620, Wee-Strom, and Yammy FZ6 in a Brit magazine several years ago. The verdict was that the Versys won by a slight margin with the Multi 620 coming in 2nd. If you take a look on Multistrada.net you'll find that the liter Multis had many problems (brakes, fuel gauges, valve guides to name a few) compared to the 620. You'll also notice that 620 owners are a completely rabid group of riders. There is a gentleman on the forum who has logged over 95K miles on a Multi 620 by only doing the basic maintenance. In my book, that's prurty cool! :)

#29 ·
Ducati Multistrada 2011

I love my Versys and I don't plan on selling it but I plan to treat myself to a 2011 Duc Multi (Touring S)a year from now.
The 2011 will have the wiring for the heated hangrips inside the handlebars...as far as I have read the ugly handgrip wires are the motorcycling press's only complaint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.