Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been testing this locally produced hugger / chain guard and find that it's fine for road use, but not strong enough for off road use...

The first sample didn't clear the battery box and got smashed when I hit a big bump...

New version clears the battery box fine-

Looks great and really cuts down on the amount of crud that gets thrown by the tire.

It's fiberglass and very light weight. Suitable for road use, but the first time I went off roading with it, it cracked...

I think fiberglass just isn't strong enough for off road use and am thinking about trying to find a supplier that can produce them in ABS plastic. Will keep you posted!

Ride On!

Tony

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I put on a Stainless Steel Chain Guard and I'm really happy with it for all riding conditions

IMG_0014 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
really CHEAP "hugger"...

Just finished a DIY "hugger" type guard for my '09. I used a piece of conveyor belt I had laying around, about 7 3/4" X 12 3/4", 2 pieces of metal, each 3/4" X 12" (used when pouring foundations to go thru the 'forms' and tie around the re-bar, given to me FREE by the guys building next door), and 2 pop rivets, 3/16" aluminum.

I 'notched' the belt to clear the chain, then held it in place by hand to drill 2 holes, each 3/16", into the bottom of the underseat storage, from below (LOTS of room for my 18V Ryobi drill from either side of the rear tire). Then I matched the hole positions into the 3/4" metal, de-burred the holes, put one BELOW the belting, the other inside the underseat storage (to protect the plastic and rubber from being worn thru by the rivets), and then installed the pop rivets.

BINGO - now my rectifier and rear shock are mostly protected from mud/ water spray off the rear tire; I spent an hour doing this; and I'm out the cost of 2 aluminum 3/16" pop rivets - MAYBE 5 cents! :yeahsmile:

:goodidea:

Oh ya - and I made ANOTHER for my other V (the '08), so I'm out about a DIME!!! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am interested. Are these available?

I've been testing this locally produced hugger / chain guard and find that it's fine for road use, but not strong enough for off road use...

The first sample didn't clear the battery box and got smashed when I hit a big bump...

New version clears the battery box fine-

Looks great and really cuts down on the amount of crud that gets thrown by the tire.

It's fiberglass and very light weight. Suitable for road use, but the first time I went off roading with it, it cracked...

I think fiberglass just isn't strong enough for off road use and am thinking about trying to find a supplier that can produce them in ABS plastic. Will keep you posted!

Ride On!

Tony

·
Registered
100 Posts
i like the diy huggers.
they are more like the dirtbike mudguards i'm familar with.
i will fab one up.....

Just finished a DIY "hugger" type guard for my '09. I used a piece of conveyor belt I had laying around, about 7 3/4" X 12 3/4", 2 pieces of metal, each 3/4" X 12" (used when pouring foundations to go thru the 'forms' and tie around the re-bar, given to me FREE by the guys building next door), and 2 pop rivets, 3/16" aluminum.

I 'notched' the belt to clear the chain, then held it in place by hand to drill 2 holes, each 3/16", into the bottom of the underseat storage, from below (LOTS of room for my 18V Ryobi drill from either side of the rear tire). Then I matched the hole positions into the 3/4" metal, de-burred the holes, put one BELOW the belting, the other inside the underseat storage (to protect the plastic and rubber from being worn thru by the rivets), and then installed the pop rivets.

BINGO - now my rectifier and rear shock are mostly protected from mud/ water spray off the rear tire; I spent an hour doing this; and I'm out the cost of 2 aluminum 3/16" pop rivets - MAYBE 5 cents! :yeahsmile:

:goodidea:

Oh ya - and I made ANOTHER for my other V (the '08), so I'm out about a DIME!!! :cool:
I have something similar. :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thank you guys so much! You have given me a great idea for a mud deflector. Have been thinking about one for awhile. Will post photo when finished. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I like the Pyramid Plastics hugger best of all I've seen. Now I have to find a source in the US of A to get one...or swim the pond and pick it up in the UK! Not sure if it's ABS of glass

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I like the Pyramid Plastics hugger best of all I've seen. Now I have to find a source in the US of A to get one...or swim the pond and pick it up in the UK! Not sure if it's ABS of glass
It's ABS. I ordered mine from their UK site and they had it shipped from their U.S. Distributor (in California I think). Took about 5 or 6 days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts