Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been previously posted. MCN did a review/comparison of the new BMW GS700 vs the Versys, VStrom650, and Tiger 800XC. In the roundhouse discussion at the end of the vid, the Versys is named the most fun. They didn't really have much to say about the Bimmer.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well, you remember what mother told you, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I ride for fun.
So of course I want the fun bike!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The V is the perfect bike for all those wannabe Adventure-posers who will never go off-road with their Beemers and Trumpets. They just don't know it. ;)

I'll admit, I was about to buy into the Adventure Bike scene, especially when the F800GS was released. I'm glad I opted for the Versys. I have no desire to intentionally hit dirt roads for any length of time. But, I do like to camp when I'm touring, and the VFR was just a bit hairy riding in and out of some camping areas on gravel or dirt, epsecially all loaded up for weeks on the road. The Versys covers all my one-up road-touring needs, and gives me the comfort that if I do accidentally come across a gravel- or dirt road, I can happily press on, rather than curse my GPS and spend hours finding another route. It's like a 2-wheeled Subaru: it has street-sport prowess, but still goes anywhere without complaint, an "all-road vehicle".

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bravo. The great thing about the versys, is that is can handle the dirt roads fine. I do ride long distance dirt roads. But not trails. I am just adding all the protection on my v just in case. Had a klr before, great for the dirt part. The pavement, not near the bike the v is. I do 80 percent of my riding on the blacktop now.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The V is the perfect bike for all those wannabe Adventure-posers who will never go off-road with their Beemers and Trumpets. They just don't know it. ;)

I'll admit, I was about to buy into the Adventure Bike scene, especially when the F800GS was released. I'm glad I opted for the Versys. I have no desire to intentionally hit dirt roads for any length of time. But, I do like to camp when I'm touring, and the VFR was just a bit hairy riding in and out of some camping areas on gravel or dirt, epsecially all loaded up for weeks on the road. The Versys covers all my one-up road-touring needs, and gives me the comfort that if I do accidentally come across a gravel- or dirt road, I can happily press on, rather than curse my GPS and spend hours finding another route. It's like a 2-wheeled Subaru: it has street-sport prowess, but still goes anywhere without complaint, an "all-road vehicle".
Yep most ADV are like like Hummers, never get close to the dirt. A friend had a full up GSA-1200...he lives in downtown ATLANTA!! That bike has seen the dirt in the front lawn and that's as close as it likely will ever get. It's a toy to him and he loves showing off, last time I saw him the bike was two years old and had less than 1500 miles on it.

I have a KLR to be beat on off road but I wanted a Street going version to fill the holes that the KLR has. To me the Versys is a great mid weight sport touring bike to me. BUT like the KLR it's a blank canvas when you roll it out the dealer's door just ready for YOU to decide what it will be and make it your own.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I recently traded my 08 Versys, for an 2011 Versys, and then for reasons too complicated to get into here, traded that bike after one week, and 1700 miles on a Vstrom 1000. The truth of the matter is that with the extra weight and longer wheelbase of the VStrom, (plus some injuries I've sustained over the past year), I'm reticent to take it on many of the roads, trails, and goat paths I used to ride my 08 Versys on. I like the VStrom, and it's fine on semi-maintained dirt roads, but in the end the Versys took me further off the beaten track than the VStrom ever will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts