Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '08 Versys with 13,000 trouble free miles on it. Love the bike (except for the handlebar vibration). But yesterday, a potential starting problem seems to be surfacing. Need someone's help before becoming stranded in the middle of nowhere.

The starter motor will only operate when the transmission is in neutral. This is with the sidestand up or down. Always started before in any gear including neutal with the sidestand up. Or with the sidestand down and the transmission in neutral.

Can I assume there is a problem with the sidestand safety switch or is there another switch associated with the shifting mechanism?

Thanks to all and this forum in advance.

Too Tall

·
Registered
66 Posts
starting

i always start mine in neutral. but i always use the clutch. i haven't tried starting mine in gear. there is also a switch in the clutch. i will try starting mine in gear later today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turned out to be the side stand switch. Just needed a little "tweaking" as in bending the tabs around the sidestand pin.

Thanks to all. :thanx:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I usually disable the clutch and sidestand switches right off the bat, but yes, then if anything embarassing happens, it's my bad. For me, it's worth not having to troubleshoot faulty switches out on the road.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If that switch were stuck in the "stand-down" position, wouldn't that cut the engine the moment it was shifted out of neutral?
You're right, it would. I had this intermittent problem on my old KLR. The chain lube had flung off all over the side stand switch, gumming it all up. I think for a time the vibrations from the motor upon startup made the switch slowly retract so I could put it in gear and ride away. Eventually that wouldn't work either as the bike would stall when I put it in gear. Cleaning up the switch area solved it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Mine does that occassionally, so I guess I should check out the switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts