Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think they need better categories and better judgment criteria. The motorcycle press, as a whole has been very positive about the Versys. That said it (motorcycling press) is driven by advertising.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FZ6r??
Sportster??

This was obviously written by somebody who has never climbed on a motorcycle before .

Here's what he wrote for the Street Triple R:

"Even though it's a street bike is has precise handling that befits an off-road motorcycle. Its two huge headlights will make it a joy to ride at night."

Yeah, night riding is definitely a priority when picking out a bike. :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Content mills.

They get starving writers to churn out reams of text containing words that show up in search engine inquiries. The words don't have to make much sense. The author doesn't have to know what he or she is writing about. They just have to get clicks, hoping that some of those will lead to people clicking on ads. The writer gets $5/story, or sometimes a share of the miniscule ad revenue.

There are positives to the democratization of publishing that the internet represents. This isn't one of them. Don't waste your time caring what this guy thinks. Heck, you could write a rival article tomorrow saying the top five motorcycles under $10,000 were the Versys, the Versys, the Versys, the Versys and the Versys.

Regards,
Your Semi-starving Writer in Residence

·
Registered
409 Posts
BTW, there is no connection to Motorcyclist magazine.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be confused because I couldn't find the article in the online website. I saw it orginally a couple of days ago on the newstand. It seems to match up.
At any rate, I am not surprised the Kawasaki got left out, it's not about what is the best, it's about advertising. And as was accurately stated above, Kawasaki is not advertising the Versys, never has.

Besides, the only top ten list I respect is David Letterman's!
:D

·
Registered
419 Posts
There were only what, five bikes listed? Even if one is trying to write a legitimate article, a lot of sub-$10k machines are going to get left out of a top five. Besides, the Versys isn't new anymore, and people tend to forget about not recently introduced or high profile models. The article's nearly content-free anyway.

·
Registered
779 Posts
They started with a Hardley Davidson. Didn't need to read beyond that. Good thing the V was not included. I'd be flattered.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Me thinks you fellas are being overly sensitive.
the "V" is not an "almost $10 grand bike...which was the point of the article. A bit under the price range they were going after....and it seems they were clearly choosing bikes from several genera to show the diversity of options available at that price point.
It's not about editorial being driven by advertising...it's just a helpful tool for those new to the sport.

So IMHO, your making much to much of it all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The British bike press mostly love the Versys. It's a favourite of BIKE who reckon that it's just about the best real world bike you can buy these days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
AGREED! the British bike press is VERY thorough. I find in recent years, the "Motorcylist" mag folks have slipped a bit. "Cycle World" has been a staple in my mailbox since the 70's and has been fairly consistent. I always look forward to Mr. Egans ramblings and Mr. Burns, (formerly with motorcyclist) has an equally unique perspective on the Moto-scene.
IMHO :thanx:

·
Registered
521 Posts
The British bike press mostly love the Versys. It's a favourite of BIKE who reckon that it's just about the best real world bike you can buy these days.
AGREED! the British bike press is VERY thorough. I find in recent years, the "Motorcylist" mag folks have slipped a bit. "Cycle World" has been a staple in my mailbox since the 70's and has been fairly consistent. I always look forward to Mr. Egans ramblings and Mr. Burns, (formerly with motorcyclist) has an equally unique perspective on the Moto-scene.
IMHO :thanx:
I bought an issue of BIKE off of Ebay because it had an article/test on the Versys and I was very impressed with its content. Their articles and tests seem more thorough and thought out than what I am used to (Cycle World, Motorcyclist). I usually read those (CW/M) once and maybe twice and then I am done with them, with the BIKE mag I probably read and re-read it a dozen times and continued to find interesting takes and information. They seem to be more honest, practical, relevant and written by people who are very knowledgeable. And they RAVED about the Versys, BTW. It won in a unanimous sweep over the KTM Duke, BMW 800, and an Aprilla 750 (why not include the V-strom too?).

Not an intelligent article. Unqualified unknowledgeable author. Fluff.
:exactly: That article came across as basically dumb.

·
Registered
244 Posts
when I can find "Bike" I usually buy a copy...It's a little spendy for me to subscribe to. A copy of bike lasts me for months whereas the U.S. bike mags are usually scan, Read, toss on the stack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like this one about the FZR. "It looks lightweight and has plenty of zip to take you where you want to go." Looks lightweight? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No saddle time!

No, you caught it. This lame author hasn't put his butt cheeks in a saddle at all. He Googled or read the product manuals and wrote a filler article. He has no concept of what a motorcycle should be or do. Lots of "Looks like..." phrases tell me he's just looking. I don't think I've ever seen the word "zippy" in any of the motorcycle magazines I've been reading.

I found another article where the author does the same thing. Practically quotes the product brochure but doesn't write from a rider perspective., i.e., no riding experience.

Don't let it bug you the Versys got left out... the letter "V" comes out really far down in a Google search. And these idiot "journalists" are too lazy to scroll down that far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't want it in the list. I like this little secret we have :topsecret:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts