Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
There's a guy In Canada, JAR (JustAnotherRider) who seems to be welded to his bike and rides all year round. not too sure if he's on here but appears on the .co.uk site.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are some chains kits, but you will be better off with studded tires. The most common way to do that is to buy a dirt tire and either have it studded for you or do it yourself (that's what JAR does). The problem on the Versys is clearance, both under the front and rear fenders. The front is obvious if you tried to fit a dirt tire, but the rear may not be. It seems that under compression, the extra height of the dirt tire plus studs hits the underside of the seat tray. If you ride a little harder than just tooling around, you'll need to buy a new under-tray.

If it's just a little snow, you'll be surprised what you can ride through with a little less pressure in the tires.

But you have to know your limitations. These guys in the Hummer got stuck where I rode through on street tires:

Gustavo

·
Registered
224 Posts
some of you guys never cease to amaze me (I mean that as a compliment BTW); it would NEVER have occurred to me to ride a Versys in the snow! LOL.

The only proper/safe way would be tire studs (anyone watch that episode of "Jesse James is a dead man" ?) like the ice racers use. i would imagine tire availability and clearance would be issues on a V.

I ride my offroad bike in the snow every year with just regular knobbies and it SUCKS! Unless you want to crawl forward with both feet down, plan on crashing often. I can't even imagine doing it on a streetbike with regular street tires.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts