Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DMC just announced on Advrider that they are devolping sidecar mounts for the Versys.

I have been thinking of selling my bike to get a sidecar rig, but this might be another option, because I really do love the Versys and would hate to get rid of it.

Just wanted to let everyone know. If you want more information you can check their site, and contact them there.

www.dmcsidecars.com

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's cool. I'll have to check it out.

On the grumpy side...

I just sold my Harley with sidecar and got back on a Versys.

Unless it is a lightweight sidecar, the Versys will have a rough go of it on the highway. My Harley with a 1450cc engine had a hard time with a sidecar going uphill at 65mph. It also got 25mpg, and ate the rear brake, tire, and bearings. (Yes, it was aligned and the sidecar had a brake.)

It was fun for ice cream runs with the Mrs and kid, but I determined that having $18K in bike and car for that purpose wasn't a great idea. I really needed another bike for solo runs since it was not easy to disconnect. (I also calculated I could buy a Mustang if I sold that and my Civic.)

Days: http://www.tontodonato.com/FLHTPI_Farkles.htm

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My reasoning is for the soon to be Mrs. She is terrified of the bike, and is pretty stubborn too, so she is not really open to taking it slow, and going for some short rides to get used to things.

The sidecar was actually her idea. She said she would ride all the time then. I'd really like to rent a bike with one first and make sure she still feels the same way.

My family and friends all ride, and are always asking us to go on trips with them, but she won't do it. I'm hoping with a sidecar she might be able to enjoy the ride as much as me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nah, she just figures you'll never get a sidecar! Calling her bluff won't get her to ride. :sorry:

Encourage her to do things she enjoys and she may return the favor. You'll both be happier. . . . :goodidea:

GDI

·
Registered
430 Posts
In the heavy hack I just sold, I either had a passenger or 50 pounds of gravel in a tub so the car didn't fly on right turns. Not sure how much a timid passenger would like to fly, but flying the car is a skill that a driver must learn and practice so that when it happens, he knows what to do.

It was fun how, with a hack you turn the handlebars the way you want to go. Without a hack, you counter-steer and push the handlebar in the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless it is a lightweight sidecar, the Versys will have a rough go of it on the highway. My Harley with a 1450cc engine had a hard time with a sidecar going uphill at 65mph. It also got 25mpg, and ate the rear brake, tire, and bearings.
Its horsepower and aerodynamics not CC's, Less weight helps too.
My 1000cc 100hp sidecar rig breaks 100 pretty easy. ;)
Though I get about 25 mpgs doing so as well.

Keep in mind that even though that Harley engine was 1450cc it only makes about 60 hp, pretty close to the Versys.
The harley is hauling more weight and has more aero drag too.

I agree though, you would not want a heavy car matched to a versys.

I have to admit the Versys was the last bike I thought I would consider hacking,
but mating it to a Hannigan dualsport car kind of seems appealing.
The low CGs on the Hannigan's help the handing too, I dont need to add ballast (50lbs of gravel) when I dont have a passenger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to look at a Ural at a local dealer.
Keep in mid there is a HUGE differnece between a Ural and a properly set up custom rig.

Many folks love them, to me its like a 40's Willy's jeep compared to a modern car/suv.
If you like the idea of a 40's Willy's then it will work for you, if you are expecting modern performance you might be pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A side car would take away everything good about the Versys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A side car would take away everything good about the Versys.
I would not argue that at all.

Would it take away a lot of the the things that are fun about the Versys?
Yes, sidecars do take away a lot of what many like in a motorcycle.
But sidecars are very fun in their own way and very practical.

Would a Versys be a decent choice as a sidecar tug?
Yea, in the type like a GS/Strom would be used, I can see how it would.

First you have to WANT a sidecar, if you dont, none of this makes any sense.

But lets say you want a rig that you can do dirt roads on, some commuting and light touring.
You want a nice upright ride position, wide bars for plenty of leverage, decent fuel capacity/range, some form of weather/wind protection and reliability.

Most folks build a BMW GS rig to do this.
But hey the Versys could do all that too, at a fraction of the cost and with probably better reliability.
A Strom is another contender, but the beefer front forks on the Versys and steel frame would be better for sidecar use and the midrange punch (comparing the 650s) seems better.
The 17" front wheel is not a liability, in-fact running a 17" rear tire would be awesome on the front of a rig, better than a skinny 19.

In that light the versys does not seem like such a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I would not argue that at all.

Would it take away a lot of the the things that are fun about the Versys?
Yes, sidecars do take away a lot of what many like in a motorcycle.
But sidecars are very fun in their own way and very practical.

Would a Versys be a decent choice as a sidecar tug?
Yea, in the type like a GS/Strom would be used, I can see how it would.

First you have to WANT a sidecar, if you dont, none of this makes any sense.

But lets say you want a rig that you can do dirt roads on, some commuting and light touring.
You want a nice upright ride position, wide bars for plenty of leverage, decent fuel capacity/range, some form of weather/wind protection and reliability.

Most folks build a BMW GS rig to do this.
But hey the Versys could do all that too, at a fraction of the cost and with probably better reliability.
A Strom is another contender, but the beefer front forks on the Versys and steel frame would be better for sidecar use and the midrange punch (comparing the 650s) seems better.
The 17" front wheel is not a liability, in-fact running a 17" rear tire would be awesome on the front of a rig, better than a skinny 19.

In that light the versys does not seem like such a bad choice.

======================

Here is the Velorex attached to a Honda 750. It's curvy shape, and light weight matches the V pretty well.

If you don't like side hacks, please move on to another thread. :exactly:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,633 Posts
I'm going to look at a Ural at a local dealer.
After a ride to Alaska and back with my buddy on a URAL (UnReliable Asian Lemon...) sidecar rig and me on a KLR650, I wouldn't take one as a gift! EVERY time he hit a puddle the damned thing quit, and we'd spend AT LEAST a half hour trying to get it going. We split at 100 Mile House in the BC interior (as I had to head to Nelson, while he was going to Seattle) where he was, AGAIN, trying to get it running. Eventually he stayed at 100 Mile for two weeks while the Ural importer tried to get TWO carburetors shipped to him. Finally it ran and he headed south.

About a year later he was trying to "do" the TAT from Arkansas west, and not very far from his start point, while he was working on it (AGAIN!!!) it caught fire and burned to the ground.

Do whatever "floats your boat", but those bikes are crap! :goodluck:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts