842 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
This would be my choice for Versys replacement

·
Registered
508 Posts
If Honda really wants to join the ADV touring market then they need to ditch the 17-inch front wheel and go with the standard dirt oriented 19-inch front wheel of the BMW GS class and the Triumph Tiger XC. As buyer looking for this type of bike Id go with something I have to do less mods on to get it more dirt orientated. As all of us V riders know it can be done with 17 inch wheels but it takes a lot of modding, time and $$. I love Honda and think that out of all of the jap bikes out there they have the best power plants both on reliability and in ease of working on the bike but this thing looks like a asphalt sport bike not a true ADV touring bike. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm holding my breath for the newly announced KTM 800 Adventure.
Or to see how the new 800 Tiger turns out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yea Im with you Ivan but I do hear that Honda is coming out with a true ADV touring model to the states soon. Im hoping to get a couple more years out of the V so we will see.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is the only replacement in my mind for my V. Not likely I'm coming up with 20k for a bike anytime soon, but one can dream.
NO, YOU ARE WRONG, a DUC must be red. :)

Funny, I didn't even notice the pic of the one I posted isn't the "S" version. It most definitely would have the upgraded suspension.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me I will stick with the great V because while owners of the Duke, BMW, KTM or Triumph are making there monthly payment to the bank, I will be using the money to tour the country on my V and enjoy every second of it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO, YOU ARE WRONG, a DUC must be red. :)

Funny, I didn't even notice the pic of the one I posted isn't the "S" version. It most definitely would have the upgraded suspension.
The Duc MS1200S is as beautiful as any bike I have ever seen, but at 23k with bags(which is what it would cost in my area) It's a no can do for me.

The Crossrunner in concept is an upgraded Versys, and VFR which would be perfect for what I want to do.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If Honda really wants to join the ADV touring market then they need to ditch the 17-inch front wheel and go with the standard dirt oriented 19-inch front wheel of the BMW GS class and the Triumph Tiger XC.
that's kind of the point. versys, xrunner, multistrada are not ADV bikes, they are 'standardized' sport-touring bikes. xrunner is an upright vfr, not a Honda GS. people who compare the 17/17 bikes with the 19/17 and 21/17 bikes are comparing apples to oranges to mangos. if adventuring is on the agenda, 17/17 should not be on the menu and 19/17 is questionable, depending upon the machine -- see "rough roads" thread.

wow, you *are* stuck in 19 today, huh? XC has a 21" front

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Plenty of replacements. But none you currently own free and clear like your Versys :exactly:
Free and clear means more funds available for gas and tires!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm a newbie to th Versys, and haven't really even had a chance to ride it yet, but here is my opinion....

I would love to have a GS800...I covet one, have ridden them, and they (I believe) are my perfect bike.......HOWEVER, they are pricey, and need their fair share of mods just to make them dirt capable. I feel like if I'm paying over 10k for a new or near new bike, it shouldn't need suspension or fork mods or changes to be good. The maintenance and parts prices for BMW's are silly money, but some day I will sip the koolaid.

I looked and read about the Triumph, has potential, but I have zero dealer support anywhere near me, and as a new model, I shied away.

I almost bought two or three V-stroms, and probably would have been happy, but they are just kind of boring.

In comes the V. It will be similar to the F800, only a little less dirt worthy but a tone less expensive. I have dirt bikes. I can ride them off-road and love to do that. I can put super motard tires and wheels on them and fart around all I want, and even hit the track when I want.

The V will get me out farther, with more comfort and ability than the DRZ will comfortably. I think it is a super choice, and from what I read around here before I purchased, everyone enjoys their V.

Isn't that what it's about? Enjoying the ride!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
that's kind of the point. versys, xrunner, multistrada are not ADV bikes, they are 'standardized' sport-touring bikes. xrunner is an upright vfr, not a Honda GS. people who compare the 17/17 bikes with the 19/17 and 21/17 bikes are comparing apples to oranges to mangos. if adventuring is on the agenda, 17/17 should not be on the menu and 19/17 is questionable, depending upon the machine -- see "rough roads" thread.

wow, you *are* stuck in 19 today, huh? XC has a 21" front
+1
And anything over about 300lbs is just a tank for true offroad. Dirt roads are one thing, single track is another.

There are always a handful on the other user forums wanting to swap out their 19's for 17's because they handle so much better in the twisties.

IMHO, if you wanted a great standard roadie the Versys is on target.
The adventure bikes are all fine, but you're talking twice the money and they don't go any better on road. In fact, probably not as well. I dunno, I've never ridden a F800 nor the new Tiger. A lot of guys buy them things for dirt and find out they're horrible at it.

The Honda is interesting. Cool looking bike, definitely. I'll bet it will be at least six grand less than a 'strada, or about the same as a S10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts