Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to take a survey how many of you would switch over to the triump tiger 800.I took a spin on a new 2011 model all I have to say wow what a engine..smooth as silk its so much like the v except a lot more power..its a great bike but it cost with ABS 10,800 bucks so I'm thinking for the money the v can't be beat but if I get another bike this is the one so what do you v owners think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It was good enough for me to put a deposit on one after a demo day ride. My Tiger should be here sometime this month, and my trusty V will be traded. The Versys is a great bike, but the Tiger just seem to fit me better.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd love a Triumph Tiger 800. Probably won't be buying one, but still would like one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Haven't ridden one yet but I'd like to put an 800XC through its paces.

But I am just getting the Versys farkled out to where I really like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
that is the one i wouuld like next but it will be the XC but that is awhile and alot of overtime and saving away not to mention the ground work I will have to to get this pass the wife:stickpoke:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Buy one!!!! :) The Versys is kinda' slow.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I test rode an 800XC earlier this year (under my original persona : http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,61646.0.html ), but ended up buying the Versys instead. Although the Tiger is a terrific bike to ride and everything everybody says and raves about the engine is true, I found that I preferred the Versys and ended up buying one instead. That's not to say that a Tiger won't at some point end up in my stable, but right now, there's a couple of things I think Triumph need to address or change before I'd sink my money into one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is also on my mind... I test rode one a few weeks ago and couldn't get over how smooth it was. I think the Versys handles quicker and I feared I would miss that, I think the Versys is more fun in the twistys. I really had no complaints with the Versys until I rode the Tiger 800. About a week later after my test ride I took the Versys on a three day camping weekend tp NY, some highway, mostly 2 lane, this is when I first really noticed the vibes on the Versys. Bars, pegs, levers, etc. Every bike I rode before the Versys was a dual sport so the Versys felt great. But now I can't stop thinking about how smooth the Tiger was.

I stopped in at the local Triumph dealer on Friday, they have both the street and the XC sitting on the showroom floor. I was pressed for time, but I think this week I will stop in for another test ride and work some numbers.

I would also like to take the Tiger 1050 out to compare.

JimJim, what kind of gas milage you getting out of that thing?

Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
I really like the Triumph triple...and considered buying a new 1050 before going with a lightly used V.

However...even with quite a few farkles...I have less than $6,000 invested in the V.

When considering performance, reliability, dealer network, and price...I consider the V to be a much better value.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like them too, would probably have one if versys wasn't two for one. ;)

I just think I'll end up with a real dualsport and keep the V for road. XC is still a pig dirtbike, none of those types of bikes are serious for offroad. Unless you're six-two 275lbs of pure muscle. Not me, 150lb weakling. :D If I dropped it I couldn't pick it back up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The 40mpg is good data.

I'm collecting data on a variety of bikes for a possible purchase over the winter. There isn't a lot of data out there on the Tiger 800s, however (or at least that I've seen). I'd like to know what a large number of riders average over a few months. Hopefully that will be available soon.

I would like to stay closer to 50mpg for my next bike, but I'm surprised that there aren't more bikes out there in that range.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but assuming you do 5k a year on your bike the difference in savings from 50 mpg to 40 mpg @ $4/ gallon is only $100/yr.
Would you really choose a bike like this? I never understood the obsession with gas mileage on a bike, unless its your primary source of transportation and/or you travel great distances. I have 3 bikes but they are all for recreation/ stress release, I could care less what the mileage is......................

1 - 20 of 82 Posts