Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no problem while riding, stopping, ect, and I've mastered the stand on left foot peg swingover, the "daughter's helmet cargo netted to the back seat" is my challenge!:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do the stand on the peg mount sometimes if I'm not feeling flexible. Other times I can swing the leg over scraping the cargo net. I have seen less than limber folks approach right side to the bike, raise up the right leg and grab the cuff with your right hand and set your foot on the saddle and follow through with the mount.You have to kind of hop with the follow through. Looks funny. I've done it and it works.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is not unlike putting your leg in a sturp and mounting a horse. Done it many times with great success. Still, slipping of that peg could have dire consequences.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
it can be real exciting if you started the bike before you step on the peg & slip. MOST the time I can't get my leg over the pillion but can sweep it thru the rider position using the left pannier for balance with the right hand.....too many falls in the earlier years

·
Registered
47 Posts
How about the trampoline-jump-over-the-tail-of-the-bike mounting style? It's a bit flashy, but allows you to get over any luggage in a tail bag with a running start.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I almost always have my gym bag on the back so I almost always step on the left peg in order to be able to swing my leg over the cargo. Much more comfortable this way for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm an old, short guy at 5' 7"...but still am able to mount my V by kicking my leg straight up (as if you are kicking something waist high) and over the seat. This technique is especially useful if the passenger seat is loaded. Even on an unloaded V, I don't trust the side stand enough to stand on the peg.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Also old & short:)
I always did the swing-a-leg-over mount, even with the KLR. The exception being with gear on the rack and pillion, when I would go stirrup style. Now on the V with a top box I go stirrup most of the time. I think it was Freddy who mentioned a right-side stirrup mount, putting less pressure on the side-stand. I tried it and it works, but my son says it looks all wrong. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,450 Posts
I do the stand on the peg mount sometimes if I'm not feeling flexible. Other times I can swing the leg over scraping the cargo net. I have seen less than limber folks approach right side to the bike, raise up the right leg and grab the cuff with your right hand and set your foot on the saddle and follow through with the mount.You have to kind of hop with the follow through. Looks funny. I've done it and it works.
When I had a KLR, we called the "right leg out, then hop towards the bike till it's over the saddle" the KLR mount.

I'm an old, short guy at 5' 7"...but still am able to mount my V by kicking my leg straight up (as if you are kicking something waist high) and over the seat. This technique is especially useful if the passenger seat is loaded. Even on an unloaded V, I don't trust the side stand enough to stand on the peg.
The first few times I used the right-side footpeg to get on, I had a friend standby the front IN CASE it started tipping (which NEVER happened). The "trick" is immediately reaching over to the left handgrip, transferring weight to that side.

I always did the swing-a-leg-over mount, even with the KLR. The exception being with gear on the rack and pillion, when I would go stirrup style. Now on the V with a top box I go stirrup most of the time. I think it was Freddy who mentioned a right-side stirrup mount, putting less pressure on the side-stand. I tried it and it works, but my son says it looks all wrong. :D
May LOOK wrong, but sure works!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm tall and lanky (6'3, 170lbs), and my big legs allow me to simply step right over the seat. No bending, flexing, grabbing, or jumping required!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm tall and skinny as well, but several demonstrations of the laws of conservation of mass and energy have left a number of joints and appendages of limited use.

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
I'm tall & fat with 2 bad knees. I get close to the bike and put my right knee on the seat then i lift my foot up and twist my hip to swing the leg over. with your knee on the seat its easy to grab your pant leg if needed to pull you foot up more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks "Man this bike is kinda hard to get onto in the traditional manner" ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Humm...this makes sense. It sounds like a much better alternative to the left side peg mount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts