Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Just an FYI - the mag always has a "favorite ride" article (referring to the geography) and in this months they feature a PA/NY ride. The two cyclist are on a V and what looks like a FJR. It is funny in the pics, the V looks like an "in shape" 18 year old, and the FJR looks like, well, us!

In the article he switched out road tires for dual purp tread, but I was a little disappointed that he did not get into how the V did. I suppose no comments ( positive or negative) means it held its own.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That's my feature article...my Versys, too. After seven Rider articles including my ST1300, I enjoyed getting some ink for another bike.

FWIW, the Avon Distanzia on-/off-road tires did fine on the maintained dirt roads I encountered in Pennsylvania, New York and New England, just don't expect a Versys to turn into a KLR by installing different tires.

A year later the Avons are long gone. The rear was well into the wear bars before 5,000 miles. I ditched the front at about 7,000 because of the strange wear pattern. There were high and low spots on individual tread blocks that made the front end buzz significantly. On-/off-road tires are inherently a compromise as these Avons showed.

Since I ride paved roads more than unpaved, I decided to run Pirelli Scorpion Trails, which come standard on the Ducati MultiStrada, since they have a less aggressive tread than the Avons. So far they are fine on dirt roads and better than the Avons on asphalt.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Excellent write up Bones!!
You also answered my question---wondered if the author was on this forum.
Thanks for sharing what sounds like a great trip with us! :clap:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Excellent write up Bones!!
You also answered my question---wondered if the author was on this forum.
Thanks for sharing what sounds like a great trip with us! :clap:
It was a great trip, or should I say trips. I went once in 2008, returned last year to do the article, and went back again last month. There are so many great roads in that region, little traffic and some beautiful country. No doubt I'll go back again.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you all will allow me a shameless plug, the Reading Material link under my signature will take you to web versions of feature articles I published previously, mostly in Rider but a couple others, too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bones,
This was my first issue of Rider and it was great seeing your article. It was very well written, and I now have a route set up (now if only I can find a day to take off work) to head up to that area, as it is only a couple of hours away.

Keep it up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts