Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my first post here. After looking and riding a GS1200, I am looking at the v strom and versys. My local dealer has a new '09 for $5450. Looks great. Smaller bike than I am used to riding, but looks like a fun adventure bike. So, how are these bikes in the dirt? I'm thinking moderate jeep roads here in Colorado. What's you experiences?

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
:welcome:cobrad.

A lot of cross country travel has been done on the V , so just browse through Members Ride and you see how the V stand up.

:goodluck:

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The wee strom will handle better off road but you can get the Versys to do a lot off road with some mods. My opinion the V is more a road bike but can be used okay on your fire roads a pushed a bit more if required

·
Registered
17 Posts
GS versus V

Sold my GS1200 in April and bought a V the next week. The GS is a great bike but is costly to buy and maintain. After spending time on forest roads I find I am more confident on the V. Lighter and lower might be why. Tires are not as good (Anakees on gs) and I'm planning to put Anakees on when the stockers wear out. I love this bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Aaww...and I thought this was a thread about Werner-Springsteen Kawasaki's Bryan Smith winning the Indy mile last night on their EX650R by beating out a bunch of 100hp Harleys

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aaww...and I thought this was a thread about Werner-Springsteen Kawasaki's Bryan Smith winning the Indy mile last night on their EX650R by beating out a bunch of 100hp Harleys

MORE INFO PLEASE! I really want to know more as this is really good news.:clap::clap::clap:

Maybe a new posting as I don't want to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Texas Dual Sport Road

Hi folks, my first post here. After looking and riding a GS1200, I am looking at the v strom and versys. My local dealer has a new '09 for $5450. Looks great. Smaller bike than I am used to riding, but looks like a fun adventure bike. So, how are these bikes in the dirt? I'm thinking moderate jeep roads here in Colorado. What's you experiences?
Just got back from a 200+ ride today with about 30 miles that started with light gravel on asphalt turning into gravel that turned into dirt and then into heavy rock thru several creek crossings and ending in sand before getting back to a semi normal road! It was my first off road use of my V. I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled thru it all. Definately did'nt handle as well as my DR650 does in those conditions, but would not hesitate to do it again. Stock tires and no special off-road setup. In my opinion should be fine on the Jeep roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't understand how the weestrom is better off road than the V. Isn't the weestrom bigger and heavier? It sure felt that way when I sat on one at the dealer. I would think you would want a more nimble bike for off road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
VStrom Vs Versys

I don't understand how the weestrom is better off road than the V. Isn't the weestrom bigger and heavier? It sure felt that way when I sat on one at the dealer. I would think you would want a more nimble bike for off road.
I believe your right on the weight factor. Vstrom 427 lbs. dry compared to 399 dry for the Versys. V-Strom advantages off road (if any) would not be enough to offset the Versys road advantages in my opinion. Versys too much fun in the twisties!

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've owned both and both are excellent bikes, capable of fire roads but I give the nod to the Versys because it's shorter, smaller, maybe a little lighter, quicker handling and more fun while looking better doing it (IMHO).

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man, that vid really highlights how much better the 'Strom sounds stock.

Too bad, considering the thread, that it's just a quick street ride, no dirt at all. ;) I'm surprised they singled out the Versys brakes on the positive side.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Perhaps I´m wrong but within the first secs the guy states something like "we´ll take this for a spin and after this 2 or 3 minute we´ll come back" ? ahahahah I wonder how many minutes did they have to test the bikes lolol
But he pulls a versys wheelie in 3th gear I guess?
Also notice at about 1:45 on a not so low bend turn the Vstrom scraps the pegs, as well as a really hard one further down the video? so you cant really bend it properly in turns lolol

I believe the Vstrom is not a bad biky by any means..

but unfortunately.. it is just... plain ugly.!

·
Registered
94 Posts
We did some dirt this weekend - m'boy on his WeeStrom, me on my Versys. The dirt ranged from easy hardpack with gentle watercrossings, through sand and firm deep ruts, to large loose rocks.

The 'Strom's tires do cut more easily through obstacles; the Versys tends to get the front tire 'skittered' more. I noticed this while watching us go through the same terrain, and m'boy felt the same when he tried out my Versys. The Versys is lighter, which balances that out a bit.

My take-away is that, for easy offroad, whichever bike feels more comfortable for you is the better choice. Both bikes will make it through fine. For more challenging offroad - get a DR-Z. Both bikes will make it, but it just isn't fun like it is on a real dualsport.

I can't imagine putting knobbies on a Versys, BTW. Traction was never a problem with aired-down street tires. The suspension and weight became limiting before traction did.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
We did some dirt this weekend - m'boy on his WeeStrom, me on my Versys. The dirt ranged from easy hardpack with gentle watercrossings, through sand and firm deep ruts, to large loose rocks.

The 'Strom's tires do cut more easily through obstacles; the Versys tends to get the front tire 'skittered' more. I noticed this while watching us go through the same terrain, and m'boy felt the same when he tried out my Versys. The Versys is lighter, which balances that out a bit.

My take-away is that, for easy offroad, whichever bike feels more comfortable for you is the better choice. Both bikes will make it through fine. For more challenging offroad - get a DR-Z. Both bikes will make it, but it just isn't fun like it is on a real dualsport.

I can't imagine putting knobbies on a Versys, BTW. Traction was never a problem with aired-down street tires. The suspension and weight became limiting before traction did.
Thanks. That's the real-world feedback we're looking for on these bikes. I've been in a real quandry about tires, now going to stay leaned toward good roadie tires, deal with it on dirt roads.

I wouldn't put knobbies on either (TKC's?) unless it was going to be all dirt, like JDROCKS is doing. And the shinko's don't seem to be made to hold up on hard, hot, road use, plus they're back ordered I hear.

Do you think there's any advantage to running a larger tire on the fron of the versys? Again, probably if one was doing all dirt roads, eh?

I'm going to search the strom and bimmer forums for distanzia and scorpion trail comparo. Syncs are another option, probably one of the best. Prolly end up just buying one of the three and do my own real-world testing. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts