Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I hope its sunny where you are, I'm importing a Versys to UK from the US and I joined this to see if anyone out there knew what modifications I may need to make? I know about headlights but am curious will I need new exhaust or any other expensive mods? It will be my first "larger" bike when its registered and I plan on taking it out for a loooong spin asap :) (Also check out the front fairing the previous owner attached, Ill be reverting to the OG parts to pass the UK MSVA tests)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
welcome to the nut house :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am not a fan of aftermarket exhaust myself, just me. But, do keep an eye on the bolts underneath the bike that clamp the stock muffler on, and also check your head-pipe bolts/nuts at the engine at least as often as you change oil, all those prone to loosening. Oh, also the motor mounts!!!!!!!

Did someone mod your stock fairing/headlight arrangement?

Oh, forgot to say welcome....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for the introductions and welcomes! Much appreciated! @unstable_rider, thanks for the tips on bolts ill ask the mechanic to do this, and yea I plan on reattaching the original fairing etc before I put it into MSVA test.. better chance of passing.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Welcome aboard. It's been a long time since I lived in the UK but I don't believe there is anything you'll have to change beyond changing the headlamp so it's "left dipping." You have the stock exhaust (muffler that it) so that should be acceptable. When I lived in the UK there was no emissions testing but I can't speak for the present.

I did things a little differently than you in that I bought a motorcycle in the UK and brought it back to the US. I had no problems at all and I don't even recall changing the headlight but that was a long time ago. The US Customs guy at the airport simply wanted to know what was in the crate. I told him it was a motorcycle and he said OK, signed the papers and walked off. I bet that wouldn't happen today!

Good luck with registering it for Her Majesty's roads.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
:welcome:aboard and on your import, the exhaust should emit less than 84dbs-sound level. tires should be new and no more than 10% of the bike should be modified from original spec. These are commonwealth countries rules , at least that what we face face in Malaysia.

GOOD LUCK..

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I've been doing a little research and discovered this web site. I can't guarantee it's current but it is very detailed and it's a UK government web site. Hope it helps, but the process appears complicated.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle

Back in the day, I had no trouble importing vehicles bought in the US but I was in the Air Force at the time and I suspect there were special provisions. That, however, was long ago and rules and requirements can change dramatically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts