Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to buy Woodys 4.25 X 17 / 2.5 X 19 spoked wheels . . . Got them this afternoon. They are sealed for tubeless tires.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/KawaVersys.html

First class wheels. Very well packed and fit perfectly. Hopefully, it will dry out so I can give them a good try out tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Too bad the V doesn't come this way from the factory. . . Never did understand the 17" front? The alternative is a 800GS or 800 Tiger . . . I like the V better. Woodys is working on a set of sealed spoked wheels for KTM950SM's too . . . Which I may consder for my SM . . . Since I really like the way 17" X 19" wheels handle.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've never rode a 19" front before. What are the advantages and benefits?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A 19" front is less twichy handling than a 17" . . . Slower turning. The main advantage is riding off road over ruts etc . . . Bigger wheels are better and spokes are much more forgiving when hitting rocks and pot holes.

I prefer 19" fronts over 21" too . . . Because I do not ride that much off road. The new KTM 1190A will have 19" front (see below):

I put 17" X 19" on my previous 950A & 950SE too. The 19" front is much better on the road than a skinny 21" front.
Both sets were Woodys . . . Which I highly recommend!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full listed price sealed is approx $1,950 . . . . Less $200 unsealed for tubes.

My previous two sets were unsealed and I never had any issues using tubes. I decided to try tubeless this time because Woodys has such a great sealing process with very good history results etc.

You can get the Rad hubs most any color. Here is another bike like mine with more aggressive off road tires. I had a set of tires left over from my previous bike that I decided to try for now.

Another Woodys set up:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Versy is the most under rated bike in the market. With spokes . . . It makes a great adventure bike that gets over 50 mpg. . . . Compared to mid to high 30's on KTM 990A's.

Still raining in GA . . . Anxious to give the spokes a good try:

·
Super Moderator
18,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The Versy is the most under rated bike in the market. With spokes . . . It makes a great adventure bike that gets over 50 mpg. . . . Compared to mid to high 30's on KTM 990A's.

Still raining in GA . . . Anxious to give the spokes a good try:

Nice wheels! Is that a custom made windscreen? If not, who makes it? How do you like it for wind protection on the highway?

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
Too bad the V doesn't come this way from the factory. . . Never did understand the 17" front? The alternative is a 800GS or 800 Tiger . . . I like the V better. Woodys is working on a set of sealed spoked wheels for KTM950SM's too . . . Which I may consder for my SM . . . Since I really like the way 17" X 19" wheels handle.

What soft bag support are you using?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
McMann

Is that a custom made windscreen?

If not, who makes it?

How do you like it for wind protection on the highway?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
16,106 Posts
I went with Givi standard racks in case I want to add hard bags later. I like how narrow they are.

Thanks, They look great..:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
McMann

Is that a custom made windscreen?

If not, who makes it?

How do you like it for wind protection on the highway?

Thanks!
Dave
It is a Parabellum medium height shield which works great everywhere (no buffeting) . . . I used 1" thick rubber blocks between the shield and the mounts for hand guard clearance and to allow air under the shield to offset buffeting. My seat is the tall Baldwin . . . Which requires a tall windshield like the Parabellum. I sit 2" higher than a stock seat . . . More leg room (5' 11").

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/Kawasaki Versys Tall Seats.htm

http://parabellum.com/

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd love to try out the 19" front but here in central Texas there is not enough dirt available so for the time being I am sticking with 17's. If I were to import my Versys to Mexico, then the 19" front would certainly be tempting.

I did call Rad today to check on some pricing and was quoted something like $585 for the 19" front complete, or something like $1200 for both front and rear.

I've sealed my XR650R spokes for tubeless and it is no big deal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
From my experience, Woodys makes the best wheels in the business . . . Bar none. Yes, you pay more for a better product . . . But your life is worth it. Give Woodys a call and see what they have to offer in comparison.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/superlace.html

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 20 of 42 Posts