Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with a very 'swift' group here in SoCal and have been for the last 3 years with my Versys.

First couple of years, a few of the group would come over and kick the tires, but no real interest. This year I've had half a dozen of my fellow riders come over, ask to swap bikes (all came back very impressed). 3 that I know of are looking to purchase (hooked one guy up with a brand new red one in WA for a real steal $5,300.00).

Many of my fellow riders are 'well heeled', i.e. can and do ride Ducati's, BMW's, racing Honda's, Yamaha's etc, money is no object to a large extent. But they are going to plonk money down on a V.

Obviously the liter and bigger bikes leave me in the dust on the straight aways, but now that my riding skills have improved, I catch them in the twisties on my little 650.

Machog

·
0 Posts
its the impression I get too. They Went through a mid term dip now seem to be on the radar more lately. Word of mouth rather than Kawaski's marketing IMO. Plus when whupping supposedly better/expensive bikes helps interest/take seriously too!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Look at the growth of this forum in the last couple of years...I think (and hope!) a serious following is coming...

alvis

By the way, How's the sun!?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Look at the growth of this forum in the last couple of years...I think (and hope!) a serious following is coming...
i hope not. different is good. if i wanted dime-a-dozen, i'd have gotten a wee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm with ya there. But 90% of the bikes seen on the road, around my area anyway, can fall pretty much into two catagories. "Rocket" or "cruiser". I think we & other similar bikes will always stand out a little just for that reason.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had a lot of different motorcycles. Z-1, Harleys, Gold Wing... I have had some orthopedic problems and no longer take long trips, I mostly ride around town. Also, With my knee replacement, I can't set to low to the ground. I set on a V and it felt good so I payed cash, 7/08. I love this bike more every time I ride it.
It's great to have outgrown the need to say mine is bigger or cost more. This bike is perfect for an old guy who loves to ride.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like many of you, I had many bikes in the past.

Versys is one of my favorite. Around town, in the canyon; it does what I want beautifully!!!

Most importantly, around my area, I am the only one that got one... Kind of strange, I live in Los Angeles... I have only seen a few other Versys but too often! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, different is great...That's why I bought this bike. I just really want to see a strong base so we have a good supply of accessories and parts going forward...no plans to sell for a long time.

alvis

·
Registered
43 Posts
Versys/ Whats that?

Greetings, Yesterday I went to my BMW club monthly lunch. I parked my 2008 Versys just outside the front door. The place was full not only with the BMW group but lots of Harley riders as well.
Harley riders, " Thats a motorcycle ? Never seen anything like that before "
Gold Wing riders, " What is that thing ? "
BMW riders, " Hmmmmmm, looks interesting "
In general, " must be something brand new "
So very soon I'll take my wife's hair dryer and peel off the Versys and Kawasaki badges, and add more mystery to the strange red bike. Angus.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So very soon I'll take my wife's hair dryer and peel off the Versys and Kawasaki badges, and add more mystery to the strange red bike.
Did that awhile back...a harley rider at work walked up...

..."is that a ducati?" fun ;<)

alvis

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Did that awhile back...a harley rider at work walked up...

..."is that a ducati?" fun ;<)

alvis
I get Buell most, BMW next, never asked if it was a Duc. Reason I suspect is here in the Ozarks, we don't have many of those exotics! When they read the Kawasaki on the tank, they just scratch their heads and say nice bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think it's a great bike, but the sales seem to be slow. Considering it got Motorcycle of the year, that's a little troubling. However, the demographic among buyers seems to be all over the place: Harley guys, adventure touring folks, first time riders, and most of all, those of us who can only own one motorcycle. I truly and sincerely hope that this segment is catching on in the US. If Kawasaki continues to improve upon the Versys every 2 years as they seem to be doing, just think what the Versys will be in 4 more years!

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. I am supprised there are not a lot more choices, like the Versys, in the middle. But the thing I really don't understand is why cruisers, and in particular HD's are so popular. I've ridden HDs several times and do not see the appeal - they vibrate a lot worse than the Versys, only rev to 5K, make me feel every bump in my spine, cause me to have a death grip on the bars at highway speeds so as not to be blown off the back, are not that fun to ride in the corners and cost a fortune. OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?:confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers making up almost all of the market. ... OK they do look good - but does everyone buy bikes soley one the way they look?:confused:
Sadly, yes they do. Too many Americans view a motorcycle as a toy or a status symbol over fun and practical transportation. Same deal with the mentality that bigger displacement is better... 650cc is the largest bike I've ever owned, and I still have a lot of fun. Does one need a liter or more?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I guess it all comes down to personal choice and ones own definition of what individuality really means.
I ride mostly (98% of the time) by my self.
That's what I love about Motorcycles....It's solitude amongst the multitudes.
Running down the road at 70 mph; just me and the road.
The Versys my only companion.
I don't care about what anyone else thinks of my ride.
I need no ones approval to enjoy the simple pleasure of being one with the road.
Freedom! That's why I ride.
and my Versys...My gloriously mean green alien machine fills the need to perfection.

She eats up the long highway miles with comfort and ease and makes every twisty a joy.
and at a price that is anything but exclusive.
What more could you ask for...what more could you need.
"Let the good times roll" indeed.
Peace.

·
Registered
933 Posts
+1. That pretty much sums it up right there, at least for me. The V puts a smile on my face everytime I ride. It'd just be nice to see more of them on the street.

Dave C

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I guess it all comes down to personal choice and ones own definition of what individuality really means.
I ride mostly (98% of the time) by my self.
That's what I love about Motorcycles....It's solitude amongst the multitudes.
Running down the road at 70 mph; just me and the road.
The Versys my only companion.
I need no ones approval to enjoy the simple pleasure of being one with the road.
Freedom! That's why I ride.
and my Versys...My gloriously mean green alien machine fills the need to perfection.

She eats up the long highway miles with comfort and ease and makes every twisty a joy.
and at a price that is anything but exclusive.
What more could you ask for...what more could you need.
"Let the good times roll" indeed.
Peace.
Well said :thumb::exactly:

·
Registered
320 Posts
It amazes me how polarized the motorcycle market is in North America with sport bikes and cruisers..... But the thing I really don't understand is why cruisers, and in particular HD's are so popular. :confused:

I think it’s the lure of being a bad-ass, rebel, individual. To me, most HD riders are bunch of store bought cowboys of the modern era. That's great if you want to go into a bar, and think you are some kind of some **** while you really look like a fat smoked out bum.
I would think most folks on this post look at the one user’s trip to South American with envy, and think "you know, I can still feed my family and have a little fun if I choose a reasonable bike." They look at what they can pack and where they can go instead of "Oh damn, my cowhide and chrome is getting wet!"
YES, this is my diatribe, so I will also add this:
IMHO Harley had a great nitch. They cornered the "bad-ass" market. But have you noticed the chopper shows are getting less popular? It's becoming old hat. Why can’t Harley progress? Build an Italian style twin, Develop kick-ass racing technology, Anti-lock, traction control ECT. I would dearly love to support a us worker! But IMHO Ducati just built the worlds best bike with the Mulitstrata. Harley’s sales are down 40% I hear. I imagine a lot of that has to do with the economy, however, how many times can you repaint a 1200 sportster?
Jumping down from soapbox….sorry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts